Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What is the recommended Finish for Bottle Stoppers (Read 7,703 times)

Tom Davis
WR Addict

I get jokes

Re: What is the recommended Finish for Bottle Stop
Reply #15 - Jan 12th, 2008 at 12:52pm

Spot on to what Leo said and I would recommend using a white soft paper towel kind of like the ones called rag in a box so that they will rip a lot easier than a rag. I get mine from Costco or HD

LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY, WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING
WOW WHAT A RIDE

IP Logged

Ric Rountree

WR Rocks!

Reply #16 - Jan 12th, 2008 at 9:50pm

Leo and bubba  - Thanks for the additional input.  After a slow start and a couple issues (Seems if tool rest to high a spindle Gouge can do weird things  Embarrassed)  I got some turned in addition to the two I trashed.  The FP tried to stick a couple of times and pulled the Paper towel from my fingers.  I just put a little more on and cranked up the speed to heat it up and it seemed to do ok.  These are fun to turn now that I have it fugured out, being that you can make them almost any shape you want.

Thanks again for the help.

Ric

Roundwood

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #17 - Jan 12th, 2008 at 10:17pm

Ah, the old snatch and grab move.  I used to hate it when that happened.  See why I said, don't wrap it around your fingers!  I use a 100% cotton cloth to apply it.  Thumb and index finger grip only.

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #18 - Jan 12th, 2008 at 11:43pm

I use squares of cotton that are about 6-9" and throw them away regularly.  For applying the FP I use cotton knit (looks like T-shirt material).  For polishing wax, I use cotton flannel.  Even part Poylester material can melt to the finish if it gets too hot. DAMHIKT!  Embarrassed

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #19 - Jan 13th, 2008 at 12:50am

Jim, we're on the same page with applying FP.  I've used 50/50 cotton/polyester and had the same results.

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #20 - Jan 13th, 2008 at 5:11am

The only type I used is the t-shirt material that Woodcraft sells in a 5lb bag Where did you get the cotton-flannel?

Chuck

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Tom Davis
WR Addict

I get jokes

Reply #21 - Jan 13th, 2008 at 9:49am

Chuck Beland wrote on Jan 13th, 2008 at 5:11am:
The only type I used is the t-shirt material that Woodcraft sells in a 5lb bag Where did you get the cotton-flannel?

Chuck

You get cotton flannel at a fabric store or out of your closet

LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY, WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING
WOW WHAT A RIDE

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ric Rountree

WR Rocks!

Reply #22 - Jan 13th, 2008 at 1:54pm

Is Mylands the FP of choice or  are there others that work just as good?  Also, I read somewhere that applying Renassiance Wax over the FP enhances the finish as well?  Any Comments?

Roundwood

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #23 - Jan 13th, 2008 at 7:13pm

It's my choice, simply because I liked it so much I didn't bother about trying others.  Renaissance Wax topcoat adds more protection.  It's makes it acid resistant.

WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #24 - Jan 13th, 2008 at 7:46pm

I just went to the fabric store and bought a yard each of light colored cotton flannel and cotton knit.  Then I got out the scissors.

JimQ
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2008 at 12:12pm by JimQuarles »  

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

duck_ditch_turner
Ex Member

beam me up scotty

Reply #25 - Jan 16th, 2008 at 11:49am

felt works nice also

just making toothpicks

IP Logged

MikeInMo

Hyperbole is the best
thing ever!

Reply #26 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 4:07pm

Leo Frilot wrote on Jan 11th, 2008 at 9:06pm:
Ric,
If you hadn't used FP before there's a few things you need to know about it.  I prefer to sand to 220 or 320 depending on the wood.  Finish your sanding with the grain of the wood, blow the dust off, and apply a thin coat while the lathe is stopped.  Start the lathe and apply another thin coat while it is spinning and then jack up the speed to get some friction going to bring out the shine.  Very important that you don't wrap the applicator around your fingers, because if you leave it in one spot too long it can grab onto the finish.  I don't think I have to describe what could happen.  FP falls out of suspension quite easily and you have to shake the container often to get everything blended.

Just curious - why do you only sand to 320?

"Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there." Will Rogers

Don't sneeze in your face shield.

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #27 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 4:50pm

I find that friction polish needs a little something to ensure a good application/adhesion.  This Mylands stuff is called hi-build which simply means you can apply multiple coats.  I typically like to finish a pen where you can still feel the wood but have the protection of the elements of the friction polish.  Yes, the gloss tends to wear off, but you have the protection of the carnuba and beeswax to protect for years.  Honestly, I normally stop sanding at 220.

WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

MikeInMo

Hyperbole is the best
thing ever!

Reply #28 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 8:27pm

I may experiment with that.  I like friction polish finishes when they are new.  As they age it is hit and miss.  Some woods seem to do better in the long run than others. The first pen I did about 3 years ago is in my checkbook.  It has held up very well.  I suspect there is no finish left on it at all, but it is nice and smooth with a natural shine.  I did another pen a few weeks ago that I have had on my desk at work that feels great but looks dull.  I am tempted to take it apart and refinish it.  Both pens are very dark, dense grain woods.  I don't remember what the older one is exactly (maybe a dark cocobolo rosewood?), but the new one is an Asian rosewood.

"Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there." Will Rogers

Don't sneeze in your face shield.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
eazis1
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #29 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 9:17pm

On bottle stoppers note- does anyone  know where a deal  is on the chrome bottle stopper

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print