Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thinners (Read 626 times)

Joe White

Too new to  be a newbie!

Thinners
Jan 17th, 2008 at 10:20pm

Aside from the obvious two (lacquer & paint thinner), what are the primary uses for the following:

Naptha
Mineral Spirits
Denatured Alcohol
Gum Turpentine

Primarily I want to know which chemical to use when cleaning my brushes after shellacing, or poly-ing, etc..  Which ones should be used to thin which finishes, and benefits/negatives regarding each.  I know it's kind of an open ended question, but what else do we have to do?

Joe White

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Re: Thinners
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 11:19pm

Your paint thinner is mineral spirits.  It and the turpentine and naptha will all thin/cut the poly.  Only alcohol can be used with shellac. 
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Copeland

WR Rocks!

Livingston, Texas, USA
Livingston
Texas
USA

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2008 at 3:15am

Mineral spirits only dilute your finish & delay your buildup.Tests have shown that it won't take your finish any deeper into the wood-doesn't make sence, but that's what experts say.I've sold a lot of spalted pecan lamps w/ water-based poly finishes so they would be white instead of yellow-never again-have to sand alot between coats.Now only use a tung oil/urethane/turpentine finish,then buff it w/ Final Luster polish & I've sold everything I've ever made.Turpentine actually carries the finish inward & gives us the "pop" we are looking for.Be sure to wipe the finish off thoroughly, between coats before it gets tacky.
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2008 at 3:23am by Copeland »  

IP Logged

Copeland

WR Rocks!

Livingston, Texas, USA
Livingston
Texas
USA

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2008 at 3:32am

Btw if you need a fast finish for a present or sale,the shellac/alchol is the way to go.Like Rev said, alcohol cuts shellac.I production turned many candlesticks& delivered them to a  gift shop for the holidays. They still smelled great to me!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print