Copeland

WR Rocks!

Livingston, Texas, USA
Livingston
Texas
USA

Turning Safety
Jan 19th, 2008 at 1:51pm

At Leo's request, I am opening a new thread so I don't hijack someone elses.Good advice on his part.I will share some experiences in hope will help others.My friend down in South Texas turned large stumps for a living.We had adjacent stalls at the Mesquite Art Festival one year in Fredricksburg,Tx. On saturday, he sold out, & had to drive all night to pull his work out of galleries to be ready for Sunday.Point is these truly works of art were 2'-4' in diameter & his only turning tool was a 5' bar w/ a tip like a parting tool.His tool rest was a section of railroad track. It was told to me that while turning, the tool caught,kicked up & hit him in the head,killing him.We miss his talent & the beautiful things he created.I want to suggest that anyone doing deep hollowing use a bar that can't kick up.Chainsaw accidents: carefully read everything regarding safety you can-kickbacks are real.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Re: Turning Safety
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2008 at 2:51pm

Thanks for sharing that Doc.  Very unfortunate accident.  Did he have a son or anyone to continue his art style?

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Copeland

WR Rocks!

Livingston, Texas, USA
Livingston
Texas
USA

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2008 at 4:53pm

Leo, as far as I know he only had a wife. I don't what became of his equipment.The scale he worked on was remarkable & scary for even me, & I have made some big stuff. James invented a boring system that is truly ingenious & safe. I have used it hollow out vases up to 3' deep. I will try to get him to join this site & post the story of how he made it. He would be a wonderful addition to this family.I have been told that we have 2 families-the one we were born into & the one we make for ourselves by working at it.

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2008 at 5:58pm

Jeff,
I have to agree with Leo thank you for sharing that. It does sound like he did some amazing pieces. Can you post some of his work in the gallery I would love to see it.

Chuck

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Copeland

WR Rocks!

Livingston, Texas, USA
Livingston
Texas
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2008 at 6:09pm

Chuck, I would love to post pictures, but I didn't have a digital camera.I am just now getting back into turning after a long absence, & if I learn how, I will get my hard photographs digitalized so I can post them.I don't have a single piece I ever turned so that I can take a picture w/ my waterproof Optio-necessary for kayak fishing on the coast.

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2008 at 6:31pm

Jeff,
No rush whenever you get a chance.

Chuck

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print