When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Wood Smoking
Jan 24th, 2008 at 11:19am

OK, I've never heard of this technique before but it sounds interesting.  Borrowing a pic from Bernie, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register how long does this take to accomplish?  Is it permanent? 
As I understand it, you place the turning in a bucket with a cup that contains a few drops of ammonia, and cover it up.  Anyone have anymore information on this technique?

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Bob Hampton

stress releif "let the
chips fly"

Re: Wood Smoking
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 11:40am

I gotta watch this one and see where it goes leo....i seen the pic also and sounds interesting ..if anything else would make a good sinus cleaner using the ammonia!...lol

Bob

Bob
Bob Hampton  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 11:57am

Might be the same process for fuming oak

All you really need to do is make a small plastic tent to contain the vapors, (they'll harmful so be careful), place in a glass dish of ammonia, place in your piece and that's really it.   

How long depends on the strength of the ammonia.
Ace hardware sells an "industrial Strength" (10%) ammonia. You don't want to mess with the 29% stuff cause it will kill you.

The tannins are reacting to the ammonia, so wood with a high tannin content works the best.
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2008 at 12:00pm by Ron Sardo »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Tom Davis
WR Addict

I get jokes

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 11:59am

How do you go about rolling the ammonia and wood then keep it smoldering

LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY, WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING
WOW WHAT A RIDE

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 12:02pm

You are not really "smoking" it, you are fuming it.  Think of "smoked" meats, but instead of smoke you have vapors
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2008 at 12:02pm by Ron Sardo »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

nuturner
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 12:42pm

Seein' as how I hadn't heard about this before, you've got me hooked on giving it a try.  Thanks (I think) for the idea.  I'm happy to share my experience with the process; hope you'll do the same.

« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2008 at 4:12pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Tom Davis
WR Addict

I get jokes

Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 2:09pm

Ron Sardo wrote on Jan 24th, 2008 at 12:02pm:
You are not really "smoking" it, you are fuming it.  Think of "smoked" meats, but instead of smoke you have vapors

Guess I should have put a smiley there sometimes hard to show sarcasm or smart a**

LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY, WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING
WOW WHAT A RIDE

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 2:53pm

Quote:
Seein' as how I hadn't heard about this before, you've got me hooked on giving it a try.  Thanks (I think) for the idea.  I'm happy to share my experience with the process; hope you'll do the same.

It a common technique used in darkening Mission Furniture.

Tom Davis wrote on Jan 24th, 2008 at 2:09pm:
Ron Sardo wrote on Jan 24th, 2008 at 12:02pm:

Guess I should have put a smiley there sometimes hard to show sarcasm or smart a**

Sorry, I missed the joke Embarrassed

IP Logged

Tom Davis
WR Addict

I get jokes

Reply #8 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 4:09pm

No big deal Ron and some time try lighting that salmon  Grin

WOW WHAT A RIDE

IP Logged

duck_ditch_turner
Ex Member

beam me up scotty

Reply #9 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 6:54pm

Tom Davis wrote on Jan 24th, 2008 at 4:09pm:
No big deal Ron and some time try lighting that salmon †Grin

where you get large paper  Cool Cool Grin Grin

just making toothpicks

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #10 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 7:20pm

Boy, you can tell how dense I am, I finally got it.

IP Logged

Tom Davis
WR Addict

I get jokes

Reply #11 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 8:50pm

ddt frederick holsclaw wrote on Jan 24th, 2008 at 6:54pm:
Tom Davis wrote on Jan 24th, 2008 at 4:09pm:
No big deal Ron and some time try lighting that salmon  Grin

where you get large paper  Cool Cool Grin Grin

Go to the papyrus store  Grin Grin Grin

WOW WHAT A RIDE

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #12 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 9:29pm

So, does the item have to be fully dried?  Can you use this technique on a wet piece?

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #13 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 9:42pm

Never tried it wet, but is should. The fuming isn't very deep and would sand off. So doing your sanding first.

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #14 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 9:54pm

Is there a list of woods high in tannins?  I'm hearing acacia and oak, but what are some others?  Sounds like it just might be time to experiment.

WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #15 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 11:12pm

Do
NOT
do this inside your shop.  Fuming ammonia inside can can have fatal results.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!† Glendale, AZ† Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #16 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 9:43am

Leo Frilot wrote on Jan 24th, 2008 at 9:54pm:
Is there a list of woods high in tannins?  I'm hearing acacia and oak, but what are some others?  Sounds like it just might be time to experiment.

All woods have tannins, some more than others. I've played around with the iron/vinegar technique for ebonizing wood for a long time. Since this also relies on the tannin content of the wood, the results should be similar.  BTW, as Jim pointed out, and I only hinted at, ammonia can be dangerous. You need to work in a well ventilated area.  Iron/vinegar solution is allot safer.

One thing that I have noticed is wood from the same species can have vary from log to log the amount of tannin that is present in the wood. This is why oak is preferred, even with a differing amounts of tannin from log to log, there is so much tannin in oak that it doesnít really make a difference.

A wood that I use allot for ebonizing is black walnut, which is also high in tannin, but Iíve noticed at times when ebonizing, I would get a ugly gray color instead of a deep black This was always disappointing. Working on a totally unrelated building project one day, it dawned on me that coffee and tea are high in tannins. Later I decided to try and paint strong tea on to wood then apply the iron/vinegar. Boy, did that make a difference. I then played around with maple, holly, poplar and other woods with good results. But I noticed that at times on some wood I would have to apply two applications to get it black enough.

One thing I failed to mention, painting tea onto wood raises the grain, so I would paint a coat of tea, let dry, lightly sand away the whiskers then apply the iron/vinegar solution.

Now, the differences that I see using ammonia vs iron/vinegar is in the application. Sap wood is low in tannins and when fumed will not darken. Painting on tea and iron/vinegar, you need to cover the complete piece, otherwise you will get an unsightly edge that didnít turn black. 

For those who are unfamiliar with the iron/vinegar solution, here is the recipe. Take a glass jar with a good sealing lid, (I use a pickle jar). Throw in some steel wool (even rusty nails if you wish) and cover with white vinegar. Let sit for a few days and that is it. Iíve been using the same jar for years and every once in a while Iíll add either more vinegar or steel wool.

This idea for ebonizing wood is great for collars and finials. It is a great, inexpensive and green substitute for ebony.
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2008 at 9:49am by Ron Sardo »  

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #17 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 10:51am

Ron Sardo wrote on Jan 25th, 2008 at 9:43am:
†Sap wood is low in tannins and when fumed will not darken. Painting on tea and iron/vinegar, you need to cover the complete piece, otherwise you will get an unsightly edge that didnít turn black.

Unsightly?  This is the main reason why I want to try this technique.  I like the 2tone effect. 
Ron, ever try to get polka dots or patterns with your solution?  Is there a lot of bleeding into other areas? I gues it depends on the grain.

WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #18 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 11:26am

Leo Frilot wrote on Jan 25th, 2008 at 10:51am:
Ron Sardo wrote on Jan 25th, 2008 at 9:43am:
  Sap wood is low in tannins and when fumed will not darken. Painting on tea and iron/vinegar, you need to cover the complete piece, otherwise you will get an unsightly edge that didnít turn black.

Unsightly?  This is the main reason why I want to try this technique.  I like the 2tone effect. 
Ron, ever try to get polka dots or patterns with your solution?  Is there a lot of bleeding into other areas? I gues it depends on the grain.

Give it a try, maybe you would like it. I'd like to see the results if you do.
To me, it always reminds me of a kid using watercolor paints and the color drips down the paper. JMO

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print