Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Heat Transfer Technique (Read 4,576 times)

Tom Davis
WR Addict

I get jokes

Re: Heat Transfer Technique
Reply #15 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 5:55pm

Chuck Beland wrote on Feb 13th, 2008 at 4:20am:
Tom Davis wrote on Feb 12th, 2008 at 8:51pm:
Chuck Beland wrote on Feb 11th, 2008 at 7:38pm:
Ric Rountree wrote on Feb 11th, 2008 at 7:03pm:
Chuck; Pic is in the Gallery.  Didn't you see it???    Lips Sealed

Nope, I plead blind as a bat. That's my story & I'm sticking with it.

Chuck

Blind deaf and a post man wow what a mess. Cry

Guilty, Roll Eyes But still good looking Smiley

Just to keep this going looks are only in the eye of the
beholder

LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY, WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING
WOW WHAT A RIDE

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #16 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 7:11pm

Tom,
I did say I'm half blind. Grin I don't have to look at me the world does. Grin

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #17 - Jun 21st, 2008 at 8:12pm

I learned a new technique today.

Instead of using heat there is a pen that you can use.

One such pen is made by Prismacolor and is called a colorless blending pen.  (It's filled with Xylene)

This only works with a laser print or a print from a copier.

Place the paper with the image side facing the paper and rub over the paper with the pen. That's it.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #18 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 12:11am

What would happen if you put some xylene on a rag and rubbed it across the back side of the paper?  Would that be the same effect?
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #19 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 6:12am

It should, that's why I named the ingredient.
I have some xylene at work and plan on trying. I also have some empty pens that I'm going to fill

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #20 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 6:16am

Please post your results.  I'm curious to know also.

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Bill Blasic

Wood Isn't Just Wood Anymore!

Reply #21 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 7:32am

Binh Pho uses Xylene to transfer his laser images to his work, he did this in his rotation about airbrushing.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #22 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 7:49am

Bill Blasic wrote on Jun 23rd, 2008 at 7:32am:
Binh Pho uses Xylene to transfer his laser images to his work, he did this in his rotation about airbrushing.

Yup

IP Logged

Ken Grunke

I finally got around to
it!

SW Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
SW Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #23 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 9:50pm

This is a really slick trick. I've heard of it in the past but never tried until today. I don't have the transfer tool nor any xylene but I cobbled up a way using a little piece of aluminum plate holding my printed signature on to the blade of a maple letter opener I turned--and holding a soldering gun against it for a couple minutes.
After 3 tries I haven't gotten even coverage across the whole signature even though it's the smallest font I could print (9 pt) and only about 3/4" across. I'll post a small pic after it works better, in keeping with the "no pic it didn't happen"  rule  Tongue

Home Page: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners of SW Wisconsin - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Ken Grunke  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #24 - Jun 26th, 2008 at 12:33pm

I just got a Prismacolor blender pen - It doesn't work.

Xylene works great, but if you dab some on a rag then apply it to the back of the paper you get a blurry image from to much chemical. I found that if I dipped the Prismacolor blender pen into Xylene then apply to the back of the paper you get a nice crisp image. I'm leaving the cap off the pen so it dries out and will be using it as a applicator.

I also found that trichloroethylene works really good as well. I think you can only get this commercially. We use it as a cleaner and I'm wondering if spot remover will work too.

IP Logged

Ken Grunke

I finally got around to
it!

SW Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #25 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 7:56pm

I had some old furniture stripper in a can, not the paste but a thin fluid which has a bunch of ingredients listed--don't see xylene but the stuff works good.
I dab it on the backside of the printing with an old stiff paintbrush and hold it against the wood with my thumb for about a minute.

Rather than post another pic here or in the Gallery, I uploaded one to my Gallery album on the AAW Forums, you can see here:

Home Page: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners of SW Wisconsin - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Ken Grunke  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #26 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 8:31pm

Try burnishing the paper with something like a credit card, it helps to transfer the image

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #27 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 8:35pm

This is excellent information.  The downfall of the heat pen is that you run the risk of burning the wood or popping the grain.  With the chemical application, that risk is removed. 

Has anyone experimented with color laser transfer yet?  The heat pen transfers colors fairly well.  You don't get the true color.  For example, red print on holly will appear pink.  Blue print on yellowheart will appear green.  In other words, it tends to follow the color mixing rules.

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #28 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:18pm

Yes, So So results

More to come at a later time

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ken Grunke

I finally got around to
it!

SW Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #29 - Jun 29th, 2008 at 9:23pm

Ron Sardo wrote on Jun 29th, 2008 at 8:31pm:
Try burnishing the paper with something like a credit card, it helps to transfer the image

Ron, is this done along with the chemical transfer? Or instead of?
If along with, is it before, or after dabbing on the fluid?

Leo, I only have a monotone printer but would like to know how well a light-colored ink would look on a dark wood. Yellow or green on Black Walnut, for example. A friend has a color laser printer, I want to put a bunch of designs and text on a sheet or two of paper and see how it works. Might take a week before I get that much done!
BTW Leo, thanks for posting this technique, it has opened up a whole new realm for surface decoration of turnings!

WWW Ken Grunke  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print