Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finishing after doing Iron On Transfer (Read 1,379 times)

DerekJeffries

Finishing after doing Iron On Transfer
Jan 31st, 2008 at 4:44pm

What is the process for finishing a pen after doing the Iron-On-Transfer of a logo or text?  Should you apply the finish then apply the text?  Will the text be damaged if using a Friction Polish like HUT?

Derek Jeffries
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW 1849929631  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: Finishing after doing Iron On Transfer
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 6:08pm

Experimentation is always good.

Remember, heat hot enough to transfer the image can ruin a finish.

Now will a friction polish ruin the transfer? Good question, it really depends on the laser printer used and the amount of heat generated while friction finishing.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 10:57pm

Krayon, I submitted a tutorial on this subject in the Tips & Techniques room.  Here it is: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
To answer your question, you have to do the transfer first, then the finish.  The transfer wand will cook the finish otherwise.  I use Mylands Friction Polish over the iron on and have not had a problem yet.  I've also used Renaissance wax over the iron on with success.  As Ron suggtested, you should experiment to determine effectiveness as each wood type accepts transfers differently.  Just watch out for those very oily rosewoods.  You can hear them pop if they get too hot. Angry

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 12:56am

Some one told me that they use the Mylands sealer first then a light sanding before putting on the transfer, then they use the Mylands friction polish with only very light pressure on the first coat or two.  Then a few more coats done normally. 

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 5:30am

I agree with the light pressure on the first 2 coats.  It also helps if you print in the highest resolution possible.

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Ric Rountree

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 9:54am

Leo; this sounds like a great tip.  I ordered the wand and when it arrives plan to give it a try.  I am making a pen for my sisters birthday and would like to be able to put her name on it.  Normally with pens I sand to 600 grit then go through the micro mesh pads to 12000 grit, and then use EEE.  Are you recommending stopping at 320 Grit and Should I not apply the EEE prior to trying the transfer?

Thanks;

Ric

Roundwood

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 10:37am

Hey Ric, as far as where to stop sanding, I'd say just experiment.  The worst that can happen is that if the transfer doesn't stick, you can sand it off and start again with a higher grit.  I've never really tried to transfer onto any wood sanded higher than 320 so I wouldn't know definitively.  Also, different species will react differently.

The EEE I would definitley not apply until after the transfer.  But again, the worst that can happen is that you'll have to sand it off if it burns, but you also run the risk of popping the grain if you heat it up too much.

WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 12:42pm

I would think that since the EEE is an abrasive, much like polishing compound, it would at best smear the transfer.  At worst, it could take the transfer off.  I think I would try of another finishing protocol for this.  Then again, as Leo has said, do an experiment and see what happens.  You really can't mess up too badly.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Leo Frilot
WR Addict

get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 3:40pm

I didn't realize EEE is an abrasive.  With that in mind, it will remove the transfer.  You'll need a friction polish or renaissance wax works also.  Never tried CA finish.

WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Ric Rountree

WR Rocks!

Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 3:54pm

Rev and Leo;

Thanks for your help.  As soon as the Heat Wand comes in I will give it a try.   Leo, I think I'm going to try your method of sanding to 320, apply the transfer, and then two light coats of friction polish followed by two coats of high friction and see what happens.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Ric

Roundwood

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #10 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 4:14pm

I use a old clothing iron as the heat source to transfer images.

IP Logged

Ric Rountree

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 6:18pm

Will that work for Pen blanks as well?  AND my printer is ink jet, if I print with it and have it photocopied on a laser copier then it should transfer correct?

Roundwood

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #12 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 6:23pm

Ric Rountree wrote on Feb 5th, 2008 at 6:18pm:
Will that work for Pen blanks as well?  AND my printer is ink jet, if I print with it and have it photocopied on a laser copier then it should transfer correct?

Experiment

Once you copy anything on a toner based copier it should transfer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print