Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finishing a green bowl (Read 999 times)

Dennis Barley

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Finishing a green bowl
Feb 26th, 2008 at 9:46pm

OK, folks, need some advice. When turning green wood to finished size, i.e. not leaving any thickness to finish turn, can you immediately sand and finish or do you wait until it's dry? It would seem that once it dries and twists into whatever shape it wants to be, you have to sand it by hand, no? It's so much easier to sand while it's still on the lathe, and I'm getting lazy in my old age.
Thanks.

Dennis

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Re: Finishing a green bowl
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2008 at 11:53pm

Go ahead and sand and finish.  At least that is one way to do it.  I would boil the piece just to help keep the piece from checking.  It will also knock down some of the warping.  You'll still have to do some hand sanding, but not as much as if you boiled without sanding on the lathe first.  After boiling, give the piece a few days to dry and you can hand sand lightly, just to knock down the fuzz, and finish as usual.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY. Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens. Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Mark Rich

Sawdust Therapy

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2008 at 5:04am

Hey RevDoug,

Would you use this same process for a natural edge
bowl?

Mark

Mark Rich Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 12:12am

Mark, probably not.  I think with NE I would turn down to final thickness and sand on the lathe and start the finish process ASAP.  Your finish will hold in some of the moisture and slow down the drying process.  That way your checking will be help to a minimum and the warpage will be slower.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY. Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens. Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Mark Rich

Sawdust Therapy

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 4:37am

Thanks RevDoug,

I should have asked that question sooner. I turned
my first natural edge this past weekend and it is already
cracking on the bottom.

Mark

Mark Rich Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Dennis Barley

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 10:15am

Thanks, Rev:

I should have made it more clear in my post. It is a NE bowl. And thanks, Mark for correcting my omission. The bowl has been sanded and finished. Now I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Dennis

IP Logged

Turniniton
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 11:34am

What amount of time would you think has to pass before you are in the clear as far as a green bowl checking?  I turned a cherry bowl yesterday 5.5 x 3 with thickness roughly 3/16 and have put 2 coats of sanding sealer on so far.  Am I in the clear after 48 hours, a week, or 2 months?  Probably different for different bowl types and species, but in general?

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 11:44am

If the cherry was green, you will probably know in 6-12 hours if it is going to crack.  Other woods may take several weeks if they are going to.  My thought is that generally you should know within 2 months with all wood.  The secret is to get the thickness uniform from top to bottom.  Also, if you are not twice turning, I would suggest that the thickness should be on the thin side, say 1/8" or less.  Less wood means fewer forces of stress fighting against one another.  That clears everything up as clear as mud, huh.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print