Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Roughing Out a Natural Edge Bowl (Read 5,709 times)

gallianp
Ex Member

Re: Roughing Out a Natural Edge Bowl
Reply #15 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 8:14am

Stu,

I am amazed while watching you turning!  If I would do this I would have to post a sign in my shop about flying object.
I would have broken fingers and my bowls would be in many pieces.  But I am learning and MAY get there someday.

You make it look so very easy!  (that is what experts do)--> ie singers, artist, race-car drivers, and woodworkers.

Question--  who is your intended audience for this video?   as a very NEW beginner to bowl turning I would like to see the presentation of the tool to the wood in a close-up  -- with a simply voice explanation as too how you hold the tool and the movement of the tool.  It seems at times you are presenting the bowl gouge flute almost 90 degrees to the inside circumference of the bowl.  If I did this the wing would catch and things would go flying..

Please understand there is not criticism intended.  I am just trying to learn and am amazed at your professionalism.

Thanks Paul

IP Logged

cptenaud

Just starting, A total
amature

Reply #16 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 9:35am

He is presenting at 90 degree, and it does work. But you have to have a gouge with a finger nail design. Or a good eye to watch that your upper point of gouge does not make contact with the wood. By upper point I mean where the grind ends at the edge of the tool.

You also need to realize that a bowl gouge is really every tool in one. It depends on your technic and the presentation to the wood. Over time and trial and error, you will understand this design. There are books and CDs that show this. But it takes real time and real experience to discover it for yourself. You will get a lot of smack downs before you find the sweet spot.

I have these two CDs and they are quite good at showing the technic.

Bowl turning with Del Stubbs

Turning projects with Richard Raffan

As good as these are. I still got plenty of smack down. So I would look again and see something I had totally missed. I kept trying until finally the sweet spot was made. Once you have that sweet spot, you don`t forget it. Like riding a bike. Once you take the training wheels off. You can`t imagine why it seemed so hard at first.

IP Logged

Stuart Ablett

Turning Japanese........

Reply #17 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 8:01pm

Hi Paul

First let me say thank you for your kind words, I'm no pro, I've seen pros turn, and trust me, I'm no pro  Embarrassed

My "Audience" is anyone who wants to take a look and might learn something, for example the wood worm screw that mounts in the chuck, when I got my lathe and the chuck that came with (I got it used) I had no idea what that thing was for, I thought it was for removing something maybe, screw it in and then us a prybar to extract it, dunno what but...???

I have to say, I was not really making these to teach, I guess, they might come across that way, I used to teach, here in Japan, and I tend to fall into that teacher mode when explaining something I'm doing, no honestly, I was putting these up there, so I can hopefully get some feed back on how I'm doing, you see, I live in Tokyo Japan, and I might get to see other turners turn about 4 times a year, so I'm fairly isolated in that way.

The recommendations of turning videos that cptenaud made are good, but if I may add one more, the fist DVD that I got was from Bill Grumbine, called >>Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register << I still find myself going back to it for pointer, it is really good.

Maybe I'll try to take some vids of my 90 degree presentation, I learned this from Eli Avisera, it does work well, but you do have to have the right grind.

You might take a look at this video I did.........

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It is an early attempt to show this cut that I learned from Eli, with his double bevel grind on the gouge.

I know that this is not a perfect video, but it might give you some idea as to what I'm trying to do.

Cheers!

“if you don’t read the newspapers you are uninformed — if you do read the newspapers you are misinformed.” Mark Twain
IP Logged

John Frigillana

WR Rocks!

Kaneohe, Hawaii, USA
Kaneohe
Hawaii
USA

Jet 1642
Reply #18 - May 1st, 2008 at 3:33pm

UndecidedWhats the DNA bath and what purpose does it serve. I'm new to this and is trying to get more turning techniques!

Aloha, John

IP Logged

Stuart Ablett

Turning Japanese........

Reply #19 - May 1st, 2008 at 11:12pm

Aloha John!

DeNatured Alcohol is DNA

Basically the DNA soak drives the water out of the wet green wood, replacing it with the DNA, then when the piece is removed from the DNA bath, wrapped up in paper and let set for a while, the DNA will evaporate out of the wood a LOT faster than the water would.

In General, if you have an average sized roughed out green bowl blank, it can take months to dry out enough to finish turn it, if you do the DNA bath route, that can be shortened to weeks, depending on the bowl blank.

I have found, and other also have reported, that the chance of a roughed out blank cracking while drying after it has had the DNA bath is much reduced, compared to not doing the DNA bath. I have no "proof" of this, and it may only improve things in certain kinds of wood, say fruit woods that seem to crack if you look at them sideways, but that is my experience.

Go >> Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register << and read this info by Dave Smith.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: May 1st, 2008 at 11:20pm by Stuart Ablett »  

“if you don’t read the newspapers you are uninformed — if you do read the newspapers you are misinformed.” Mark Twain
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #20 - May 2nd, 2008 at 10:34am

I'll add to what Stu has said with this; Dave Smith is the man that came up with this whole idea.  He has a lot of research and anecdotal evidence to support his findings.  I've used some wood that he took through the process and found it to be very stable.  Even if you experiment only with small pieces I think you'll find that it is worth the effort.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

eazis1
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #21 - May 3rd, 2008 at 6:01pm

How long do you keep the wood in a DNA bath for?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #22 - May 3rd, 2008 at 8:41pm

As I remember, roughed out blanks over nightish
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Dave_Peebles

Reply #23 - May 3rd, 2008 at 11:15pm

Here is a link to Dave Smith's website.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

There is a link on it to his blog. It has a lot of info about the DNA process.

Dave

IP Logged

cstrunk

WR Rocks!

Reply #24 - May 7th, 2008 at 12:41pm

Nice video's Stu  Smiley

I would add a thought though. What you were trying to describe in your 1st video is anchoring your point of pivot and depth at the tool rest. Instead of riding bevel cut. I switch to the underhanded method in order to control this type of cut, I find that I can control the tool by pinching between my thumb and for finger and swinging the handle with body motion.

To each his own, I am not a production or speed turner, more a slow and cautious hobbiest. I enjoy your videos and have found that you explain your process in a clear and friendly manner. They are easy to follow, please keep up the work. I think a best of the dungeon DVD might be in order,  Wink.

C.

IP Logged

Leo De Bruin

Turning pro as soon as
I retire

Kitwanga, BC, Canada, Canada
Kitwanga, BC, Canada
Canada

Reply #25 - May 26th, 2008 at 9:59pm

Well- here they brought the Metric system into the schools when I was about half way through. Being a bit of a dinosaur I just hate the system- centimeters,millimeters they are all sillymeters as far as I am concerned!

IP Logged

Stuart Ablett

Turning Japanese........

Reply #26 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 10:27am

Littlebear, use what you are comfortable with, I was lucky and grew up in Canada during the transition to the Metric system, so we had to learn both.

By not converting to the Metric system, the US is in good company........... Liberia and Myanmar that is  Wink  Smiley

Almost anything built to tight specs will be in "Sillymeters" as you said  Grin but for most carpentry etc, inches work just fine  Cool

IP Logged

John Nicholas
WR Supporter

Reply #27 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 11:14pm

Chuck Beland wrote on Mar 20th, 2008 at 7:54pm:
is 12 cm I never learned the metric system.

Chuck

Go take a class in metric you will need it sooner than later [/quote]

Don't try to learn to convert them.  Think with them. 1 inch is 25mm or 2.5cm  4 inches is about 100mm  2 inch jaws on your chuck are 50mm jaws.  50mm = 5 cm

1/2 inch is 12-13mm.   If you hunt you know that a .30 cal rifle is 7.62mm  so 1/3 inch is about 7-8 mm

1/4 inch is about 6mm

John Smiley

John&&&&First:  Be Safe  &&Second: Have Fun
IP Logged

Ned_Bulken

On the level.

Lakeport NY (Syracuse area), New York, USA
Lakeport NY (Syracuse area)
New York
USA

Reply #28 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 12:30pm

Stuart Ablett wrote on Mar 20th, 2008 at 4:42am:
High Chuck

These pieces are all green, so they are now in the DNA bath, and then will be dried and finished turned.

They are not large, the largest would be maybe 12 cm in diameter, so I leave the usual 10% or about 1 cm +-

I have a TON of these, I really do, so I'll be doing a lot of practice, but I hope to have a lot survive the ride so I can give them away, or sell them.

Pic below is the stacks I have cut in half and sealed up.........

wholly smokes there Stu, did I miss this over next door? And have you finished turning all of those yet?

Ned&&2B1ASK1
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Stuart Ablett

Turning Japanese........

Reply #29 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 8:39am

Hey Ned

I think I posted them at Family Woodworking. I've finished a few, but I've got a LOT more to do  Shocked

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print