Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sharpening Demystified....the video.... (Read 6,408 times)

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Re: Sharpening Demystified....the video....
Reply #15 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 3:29am

Yup I got my copy this morning.

Chuck

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #16 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 9:38am

Thanks for the video and the PDF.
Saving time and getting acurate consistant results, what more could we want.

IP Logged

Tony Wheeler
WR Addict

Reply #17 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 11:44pm

does anyone out there change the setting of the control leg from bowl gogues to spindles  or leave it the same for either? If the difference between 40  and 50 degrees is one inch 9 5 1/2 and 6 1/2) then would 71/2 give you 60 degrees ?
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2008 at 11:48pm by Tony Wheeler »  

Walton Kansas

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #18 - May 2nd, 2008 at 12:36pm

According to the article you set the control leg of the jig at the top of the second notch from the top and leave it there regardless of which of the three jigs you use or which tool you are sharpening.  I am not sure of your other numbers.
  Now I have a question conerning the templates and the diagrams provided.  I just hope I can ask it in terms that make sense. 
  If you look at template diagram on the left hand side there is a dimension of 6" from the bottom of the template and it is noted as saying to the center line of the grinding wheel.  Now this template sits on the arm of the wolverine jig.  Would I be correct to assume that for me to get the correct angle on my gouges that the center of my grinding wheel should be 6" from the top of the arm of the jig.  If that is the case then I need to raise my grinder by about an inch or so.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Bob Hampton

stress releif "let the
chips fly"

Reply #19 - May 2nd, 2008 at 5:02pm

6" from the base to center line of the wheel ....take a 2x6...cut 1 that fits from outside to outside ..cut another to just fit the base plate on the pedistal...now measure from the long 2x6 to center of the shaft ..should be 6"
Thats how i did mine anyway

Bob
did stu's little trick tonight ..works good
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2008 at 11:17pm by Bob Hampton »  

Bob
Bob Hampton  
IP Logged

nuturner
Ex Member

Reply #20 - May 3rd, 2008 at 12:14pm

A bit more, very well presented, on the subject:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #21 - May 4th, 2008 at 12:15am

I guess I did not make much sense when I asked my question.  Let me try it again.  In order to get a proper angle on my gouges using the templates I made using the design provided in the PDF document,  does the center of the grinding wheels need to be 6" from the top of the wolverine arm.  In the drawing there is a dimension that says 6" to center of grinding wheel,  the templates are designed to be used to set the length of the arm from the grinding wheel to achieve a certain degree of angle.   The templates are set on top of the arm so does that mean that the center of the grinding wheels must be 6"above the top of the arm.  The arm I am referring to is the Wolverine jig arm that sticks out the front and has a v-pocket that the vari-grind attachment sits in.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Dale Bright
WR Noob

Loudoun County, Virginia, USA
Loudoun County
Virginia
USA

Reply #22 - May 4th, 2008 at 7:11am

Yes is does, six inches from center of the wheel to the arm is correct. You notice in the photos that the base of the grinder is higher than most.

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #23 - May 4th, 2008 at 11:07am

I had not noticed that before.  Thanks frog for pointing that out.  I guess I should have paid more attention to the photos.

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #24 - May 5th, 2008 at 10:41am

Just an update, I raised my grinder by the needed amount to reach that 6" mark, and I can honestly say that it made a sgnificant difference in the grind of my bowl gouges,  A test run of the tools afterwards and I noticed that the tools were less aggressive and easier to control especially when hollowing the insides of the bowl.

WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print