Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Paste Wax (Read 1,109 times)

Turniniton
Ex Member

Paste Wax
Mar 28th, 2008 at 7:47pm

Does anyone use paste wax on their turnings?  If so, is polishing by hand sufficient?  I am trying to decide if I should go ahead and purchase one of the buffing systems.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Re: Paste Wax
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 11:10pm

I have used both Johnson's paste wax and the MinWax Finishing wax.  Both of them I applied with steel wood and buffed off by hand with an old towel.  If you had a buffing wheel handy it would speed up the buffing and be much easier on the hands.  However, this kind of waxing and buffing does not compare with what the Beall system does.  It has two polishing compounds that really smooth out the underlying finish.  Then the carnuba wax, the hardest natural wax available, buffs on and really changes the look and feel of the piece.  I know I was really surprised at the difference. 
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY. Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens. Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Turniniton
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 10:09am

Do you have a link for the Beall buffing system?  Also, I take it I need to buy some type of  bowl attachment to do the interior of my bowls?  Thanks, Joe

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 10:19am

Ask and you'll usually receive around here.  Try this:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
I have, and use a lot, the Original Beall Buffing System.  It gives you all you need except the motor to put together a stand-alone buffer.  I keep thinking about getting the 3" extension and may still do it the next time I'm ordering from Packard. 
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY. Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens. Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

nuturner
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 1:16pm

I use TreWax  -  great stuff.  Apply, dry five minutes at 60+ degrees , buff with a soft cotton cloth.  Repeat the processe four or five times  -  done.  Light touch with soft cloth works best cuz  you don't want to overheat the wax.

IP Logged

Larry Charlot
WR Addict

Professional Sawdust Maker

Yakima, Washington, Washington, USA
Yakima, Washington
Washington
USA

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 1:17pm

3" extension comes in handy all the time.

Larry

Want a better life, TURN it into something better

IP Logged

Tony Wheeler
WR Addict

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 1:36pm

I have an 8 inch extentions from Don Pencil works great expically on deeper stuff with the bowl buffs

Walton Kansas

IP Logged

Turniniton
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 3:16pm

Do you guys use these Beall bowl buffs for the interior of your bowls?  If so, what size should I get for doing 10-12 inch diameter bowls mostly that are 3inchs deep.  Thanks, Joe

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 11:38pm

Yes.  Buffs for the interior of bowls.  3" is the way to go.  The 2" are too hard and I've been told by someone of great authority that the 4" are too soft.  I've found the 3" to work very well.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Turniniton
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 1:05pm

I am going to go ahead and order the set of 3 buff wheels with the quick change adapter; probably get the extension while I'm at it.  With these wheels, will I be able to buff the inside of my bowls since they are of such a large diameter (10-12 inch).  Do i need the bowl buffs or are they more necessary for narrower and deeper forms?   Thanks, Joe

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 1:47pm

You'll want the buffs eventually.  When your bowl forms begin to close in just a little bit the wheel will not be able to get inside the edge of the rim quite as easily.  You do not want to burn that edge which will be so easy to do with the wheels.  I would guess that you could do without it for now and pick them up in a couple of months when the funds are built back up a bit. 
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 6:22pm

While I was impressed with the initial appearance of my pieces done using the Beall buffing system, I was very disappointed to find that the carnauba wax is very sensitive to water.  I polished up a nice box elder salad bowl and while bringing it in to the house from the shop it got a few snowflakes in it since it was snowing at the time.  When I got it inside there was a dull spot everywhere a snowflake had landed.  I kind of wonder how useful a finish is if you can't even wipe it with a damp cloth to clean it...  Sad

Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print