Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
osage orange (Read 1,217 times)

MikeInMo

Hyperbole is the best
thing ever!

osage orange
Mar 29th, 2008 at 10:37am

I recently picked up a small chuck of osage orange locally (not from the neighbor's ice storm damaged tree I mentioned a while back) that is green and is wax coated at the moment.  It has beautiful color right now, but I understand it will fade.  Is this a drying thing, a UV thing or some other cause?  Is there a good way to finish it to protect the color?

"Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there." Will Rogers

Don't sneeze in your face shield.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Re: osage orange
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 10:59am

Mike, I'm not sure anyone really knows for sure.  I can tell you this, it's going to change.  Even the bottom of the only OO bowl I have is turning although not as quickly.  I'm not sure I would call it fade though.  More like the color changes from that bright yellow to a beautiful burnt golden brown.  It absolutely beautiful. 
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Craig_Jackson

You can never fail if<br
/>you never give up.<br
/>

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2008 at 9:53pm

I agree, Osage will go brownish. On my work, I use  Yellow NGR (non grain raising) stain straight out of the bottle, one or two coats. It matches the natural yellow of the wood and will help maintain the yellow that makes osage so nice. I get mine here Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
These folks are great to work with and have good products at good prices.

I top coat with Watco aerosol lacquer. Best lacquer aerosol I've found. They don't sell Watco but Lowes does. You can top coat with other finishes too.

<div style=
IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 5:39am

Craig,
If you have always had excellent results from this company why don't you put a link to them in the "WR updates & info" area under favorite finishing supply vendors.
Here is a link to it.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This way if anybody asks a question about them you can tell them your experiences with this company.

Chuck

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Craig_Jackson

You can never fail if<br
/>you never give up.<br
/>

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 12:54pm

Chuck,
I did as you suggested.

<div style=
IP Logged

MikeInMo

Hyperbole is the best
thing ever!

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 7:33pm

Doug - I agree the golden wood is gorgeous.  I just like the orange/yellow color in the green wood.

Craig - Thanks for the idea.

"Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there." Will Rogers

Don't sneeze in your face shield.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print