Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wax preparation (Read 1,046 times)

Stuart Reid

Fisherman in Training

Wax preparation
Mar 30th, 2008 at 3:40pm

I have watched several videos of guys using bees wax to finish projects.  The wax they use looks soft when it is applied and then rubbed in at speed to shine.  I bought some bees wax from Woodcraft and the bar is hard and doesn't look anything like the wax in the videos.  Are you supposed to melt the bar and add something?  How is that bar prepared so you can easily apply it to projects.  Thanks in advance.

Stu

Stuart Reid&&Fisherman in Training
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Re: Wax preparation
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2008 at 10:32pm

You can apply that stick bee's wax directly to the spinning piece.  Once you've applied it you then buff it off with a soft cloth or paper towel. 
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Stuart Reid

Fisherman in Training

Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 9:45am

That is what I have been doing but it seems that little wax is transferred to the project, although it does shine and feel good.  Would the stick soften up if it was melted and re-hardened?

Stu

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 11:26am

thin layers is what you want.  It will do you more good to apply more thin layers than to put one thick layer on.  When I was really young and very stupid I used Johnson's Paste Wax on a VW Beetle.  Good wax on a cheap car.  What I didn't know was that the wax needed to be put on SPARINGLY.  Instead I put enough wax on the car to do 3 or 4 cars.  Once the wax dried it took me 3 days to get it buffed off.  That exercise was probably the start of all my shoulder trouble that I've had over the years.  So the moral of the story is:  Thin is in - Thick will make you sick.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Glen Shaffer

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 11:30am

I also like to let the project cool before adding the next coat. That allows it to harden a little. I don't know if this is right or wrong but it seems like a built up finish is achieved easier. I should add this is on flat surfaces with an electric buffer.  Wink

IP Logged

Stuart Reid

Fisherman in Training

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 11:42am

Well it sounds like you all just use the hard bar the way it comes so that is what I will do.  The additional coats idea is also a good one and should also improve the finish.  Thanks again.

Stu

IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 6:10pm

Are you sure it is beeswax you have?  It sound more like a bar of carnauba, like Liberon's woodturner's wax stick.  The beeswax I use is actually a blend of beeswax and mineral oil and comes in a plastic jar in the form of a soft paste.  It is called Clapham's Salad Bowl Finish.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It does not polish to a high shine but more of a soft sheen, and will need to be renewed periodically.

Bob

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2008 at 11:21pm

I have a solid beeswax bar too.  I forget where I bought it, but it is similar to Carnuba except not as hard.  Out here it softens too much in the summer.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Stuart Reid

Fisherman in Training

Reply #8 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 12:07am

I am sure it is Bees wax.  I also have the Carnauba Wax and the Tiburon Wax and they are both very hard as well.  The DVD I referred to is the one with Richard Raffan, "Turning Wood."  He uses a "chunk" of Bees wax on projects and it appears to be soft but maybe it is a visual defect.

Stu
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2008 at 12:08am by Stuart Reid »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print