Send Topic Print
The Raffan Cut (Read 4,365 times)

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Re: The Raffan Cut
Reply #15 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 3:25am

Jeremy,
I have to agree with Ed he does go way to fast for teaching purposes.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #16 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 7:59am

In one of the DVDs I have he is going to show you how to turn a bowl. However, the way he mounted it was purley for the purpose of showing off IMHO.
He has a bowl blank with a hole drilled in the center, then with the lathe spinning Shocked, he puts the blank on the screw center, SMACK. The screw grabbed that blank and yanked it into the faceplate in about a nono-second.
I am a beginner and would never try that, ever.

IP Logged

JDLanger
WR Addict

Got Wood?

Reply #17 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 1:18pm

That's actually how I mount smaller blanks, up to about 10 or 12 inches, on my woodworm, lathe running, let the lathe do the work.  I learned that from him.  I learned a lot of things that save a LOT of time from Raffan.  I use his roughing cuts, and can rough a bowl to 1/2" thickness in about 6 cuts.  Grand total of two minutes turning.
I've seen all his videos, own a couple, and have seen his live demo's a number of times, and find that by doing just what he says you're going to have zero problems.  He's a production turner that utilizes some of the most efficient methods of turning.  He's an excellent teacher on video and live, and have found few that can relate the process of gouge to wood in the same way that he can.  I disagree that the videos are at too fast a pace to learn from, if you are following the steps, you can't go wrong.  You can't slow that specific style down to a "step by step" because it flows together so rapidly.  You'd lose on the transitions and the fluidity of the method.
While I'm sorry that you have a problem in the way Raffan presents the information, maybe there are other instructions that are more at your speed.
That said, if you are just starting, or are a less experienced turner, I would concede that raffans' videos may not the best instruction for you.  If you do not have a very good relationship of wood to gouge, and a very good basic foundation in turning, you won't be as likely to follow all of the information that is being presented in the manner he does it.

Professional Exotic Firewood salesman.

IP Logged

Bob_Macgregor

Round wood.  Sharp steel.

Reply #18 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 2:23pm

I was making some hook tools from concrete nails and wanted to review use of the hook tool.   There is a nice video on the woodworking channel (AAW section) of Andre Martel demonstrating end-grain hollowing.   He starts with the Raffan cut demo before moving on to the hook tool.   I think his demo of the Raffan cut might help some new-comers to it to visualize what is going on in this technique.
BOB

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #19 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 4:09pm

Jeremy,
I tried to mount a 4" piece of wood with my lathe running at 500rpm. I used my calipers to check the thickness of the worm screw on my Cuda II chuck I checked it between the threads & went half a thickness larger then it showed & I think it bent the screw. It doesn't seem to run true? also when I tried it it also didn't go on straight but was off about 1/8". I'm sure I did something wrong but I just don't have a warm fuzzy feeling for doing it that way.

Chuck

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print