Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
My version of capt. Eddies steel Snake hollower (Read 4,043 times)

James_Smith
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Re: My version of capt. Eddies steel Snake hollowe
Reply #15 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 12:33pm

Thanks Bill,
I registered for that forum to see the photos you recommend yesterday, but am still awaiting a reply so I can view the attachments.

Solid bar it is, and thanks again for the advice,
James

IP Logged

Bill Bolen
WR Supporter

Missouri turner

Eureka, Missouri, USA
Eureka
Missouri
USA

Reply #16 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 5:00pm

James, if you need any help just pm me. Happy to help if I can...Bill...

2Ljunkie

IP Logged

JohnStrait
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

ks, Kansas, USA
ks
Kansas
USA

Reply #17 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 9:40pm

Bill,
What do I need to look for when purchasing the "thrust bearings"? I have almost everything I need to build this hollowing system, but would like to use these bearings now instead of later.

Thanks,
John

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #18 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 4:37am

John,
These are the thrust bearings Bill is referring to. I also am making the same one & he has given me all of the links I need. Just get the size bore you need for the hole you drilled.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register  
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2009 at 4:38am by Chuck Beland »  

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #19 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 10:23am

Chuck, that's a good site to know about.  I've bookmarked it with my other turning suppliers.  Never know when you'll have a bearing go out.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #20 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 10:46am

Doug,
I also have them bookmarked. Bill (2ljunkie) gave me the web address these are what he uses in his version of the steel snake. I ordered some myself & waiting for them to come in. after this I should have all the parts for my snake. They do have a good assortment of different bearings. I had never heard of thrust bearings until Bill gave me the link.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2009 at 10:46am by Chuck Beland »  

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #21 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 11:20am

Question for all you Snake users.  What keeps the Snake from twisting in the tail stock?
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #22 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 11:35am

Rev. Doug Miller wrote on Jan 9th, 2009 at 11:20am:
Question for all you Snake users.  What keeps the Snake from twisting in the tail stock?
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Doug,
I plan on using this. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register I will have the MT part inside of the tailstock & the other end inside of the steel like this. You can use a draw bar to secure it to the tailstock since it's threaded for a 1/4 x 20 TPI. There is also a flat spot that goes inside of the steel just drill a hole for a set screw & it will not rotate.

Click pic for full size.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

off the lathe with the ends exposed with the drawbar.

« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2009 at 11:36am by Chuck Beland »  

IP Logged

JohnStrait
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

ks, Kansas, USA
ks
Kansas
USA

Reply #23 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 2:13pm

Chuck Beland wrote on Jan 9th, 2009 at 4:37am:
John,
These are the thrust bearings Bill is referring to. I also am making the same one & he has given me all of the links I need. Just get the size bore you need for the hole you drilled.

Chuck,
Thanks for the link with the thrust bearing information.

John

IP Logged

Bill Bolen
WR Supporter

Missouri turner

Eureka, Missouri, USA
Eureka
Missouri
USA

Reply #24 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 5:45pm

Chuck Beland wrote on Jan 9th, 2009 at 11:35am:
Rev. Doug Miller wrote on Jan 9th, 2009 at 11:20am:
Question for all you Snake users.  What keeps the Snake from twisting in the tail stock?
CoolChuck Beland

Doug,
I plan on using this. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register I will have the MT part inside of the tailstock & the other end inside of the steel like this. You can use a draw bar to secure it to the tailstock since it's threaded for a 1/4 x 20 TPI. There is also a flat spot that goes inside of the steel just drill a hole for a set screw & it will not rotate.

Click pic for full size.

Just make sure you also tighten the locking arm on the tailstock ram too. The only time I had movement was when I had tightend the draw bolt but forgot to tighten the locking handle on the tailstock. About 30 degrees of rotation and a near heart attack!!..Bill..

off the lathe with the ends exposed with the drawbar.

It's aparant I do not know how to use the "quote feature" Cry
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2009 at 5:47pm by Bill Bolen »  

2Ljunkie

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #25 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 8:14pm

Bill,
That happens when you use the "quote" button & there is pics in the quote. You didn't do anything wrong it's just the way it is.

IP Logged

wayne_bower
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #26 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 6:55am

I am new to this site and just found this.  I would be happy to share my plan with anyone who might need it.  I have been turning for about 3 years and enjoy these forums greatly.  Lots of information here and very friendly folks who share.  The steel snake is my sharing.
Thanks for the interest.

Good Turning, Wayne&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #27 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 7:02am

Wayne,
I use Bill's & your pics when I post about the steel snake. Welcome to WR it's just like FW a great bunch of people. Stu & Vaughn are also members here.

IP Logged

wayne_bower
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #28 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 7:24am

I am glad to be able to give back something to these forums as I have learned a lot from everyone.  I started turning on a home made lathe, built from a Shopnotes plan.   smiley=dankk2.gif

Good Turning, Wayne&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

James_Smith
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #29 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 7:37am

I used all the links, pictures, and advice to build my own snake this weekend. I finished it this morning before leaving for my day job, so I don't have a picture to post yet, but what a blast. I want to thank all that contributed.

Instead of connecting it to my PM tailstock, I had an old tailstock from my first $50 lathe. It was made out of stamped metal and the ways bent when I tightened a piece between centers (cheap in the worst way, but I couldn't throw it away). The tail stock was cast iron, and with a little grinding fits perfectly between the ways on my PM, and since it is shorter the bars are well under my elbo, and it should have less chance of rotating. I was also able to recomminssion the old lathe motor for a dedicated polishing station.

My materials cost was ~$70 with shipping because I used all needle thrust bearings, oiled bronze bushings, and new bolts, washers, etc. I was also able to bring more life into the old junker lathe parts, so I couldn't be more pleased.

I drilled the tool holder to 1/2 inch to fit my exocet shafts, and I have and adapter that came with the exocet to hold 5/8 shafts so my next project is making some boring bars. When I extend the snake, the cutting edge of my exocet cutter is ~1/16 above center, so I hope it will work. (advice welcomed). Should the cutting tip be dead on center, or will 1/16th above be OK?

Thanks again for all the information. I have a lot of fun making this project and hope to learn the proper way to use it soon.  smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print