Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
buffing natural edge bowl (Read 1,200 times)

dcwood
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Berkeley Ca, California, USA
Berkeley Ca
California
USA

buffing natural edge bowl
May 4th, 2008 at 11:30am

I just turned my first N.E. bowl.  I usually buff out my bowls and could use some advise on using my buffing system on a natural edge bowl.  I assume I should try to stay away from the bark.  The inside is about 4" deep below the bark.
Thanks
DC

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Re: buffing natural edge bowl
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2008 at 5:44pm

Use your smaller buffs to buff on the bottom and inner sides of the bowl.  You are correct in thinking that you want to stay away from the bark.  If you happened to have glued it down during the turning and sanding process then you may be pretty safe.  If not, then you want to be really careful.  That spinning material is made up of threads and those threads do wrap themselves around anything they can.  Bark is a prime suspect.  Once that thread grabs onto the bark the bark is usually what will give.  So, just be careful.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

dcwood
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Berkeley Ca
California
USA

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2008 at 9:17pm

RevDoug, thanks for the advice.  This is for our club challenge and I don't want to mess it up.  Plan to buff it next Saturday.  Wish me luck.
DC

IP Logged

boxxmaker
Ex Member

I Love WR

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2008 at 8:22am

Sometime I use a buffer pad mounted on my drill.I pick them up at flea markets and the usually don't have that much loose thread flyng around.It works pretty good for me.

IP Logged

dcwood
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Berkeley Ca
California
USA

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2008 at 10:25pm

Well I buffed my bowl.  Turned out great except I got a little carried away with the white diamond wheel.  I have couple of places on that thin area between the solid wood and the beginning of the bark that now have a nice scratched white look to them.  I want to clean these areas up, but do not want to compound my problem.  I am thinking of wet sanding with finish.  Any suggestions out there?
Thanks
DC

IP Logged

Todd Senterfitt

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2008 at 1:32pm

One technique I've used is careful application of a wipe on poly just on the bark area.  Generally three to five coats and it seems to stand up well.  I've only done a handful but haven't heard from anyone about breakage.

The artist formerly known as urobouros

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print