Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finishing questions (Read 1,503 times)

Turniniton
Ex Member

Finishing questions
May 5th, 2008 at 7:02pm

Hello,
When using Tung oil to finish my bowls, I have been saturating the bowl as much as possible, allowing it to soak in for about 2 minutes, and then wiping off excess and allowing to dry.  My question is that I have been doing this procedure again about 24 hours later but am wondering if this is necessary for a quality finish or not.  It seems as though the second coat does not penetrate very much and I end up with a sticky surface for a couple of days. 
Also, when using Mylands Friction polish are two or more coats necessary?  I have been doing 2 coats but am wondering if the second coat is merely re-liquifying (is that a word?) the first coat and then reapplying it.
thanks,joe

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: Finishing questions
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2008 at 7:51pm

To start off, whose tung oil are you using?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Turniniton
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2008 at 8:01pm

I have been using Formby's tung oil.  When that runs out I have some Watco Danish Oil that I want to try out; I am guessing the application and question I have will still apply with the danish oil.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #3 - May 5th, 2008 at 8:31pm

I never cared for Fomby's, it's possible it's old

An oil finish works best when you wipe off the oil on the first coat or two.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2008 at 9:01pm

As to the Mylands, each application adds more depth to the finish.  It isn't unusual for me to put on 5 or 6 coats on a pen.

JimQ
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2008 at 9:01pm by JimQuarles »  

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Turniniton
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 6th, 2008 at 10:02am

I bought the Formby's about 2 months ago, but who know how long it was on the shelf at the store.  So a turning should be able to take two or more coats of oil even when applied in this manner?

Good to know about the mylands thanks Smiley

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #6 - May 6th, 2008 at 10:21am

Yes it should, I do it all the time.

IP Logged

DerekJeffries

Reply #7 - May 6th, 2008 at 11:43am

It also depends on how dry the wood is.  I have a piece that is going on 5 coats of oil, and all have taken about 24 hours to dry.

I would imagine if the wood was oily that it might not soak up as much, or dry as fast.

Derek Jeffries
WWW 1849929631  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #8 - May 7th, 2008 at 1:56pm

I believe that if you check the lable on the Formby's you will notice the absence of a major ingredient, tung oil.  Don't know if there's actually in it or not, but it ain't on the label.  I also believe that you need to let the oil finish sit on the wood for more like 30 minutes before you go back and wipe it off.  Just follow the directions on that.  Anyway, let the finish dry at least to the touch before applying the next coat.  Then you can simply watch how it is soaking in.  When you get an even coat with no irregularities, then you know you've applied enough and it is time to allow it to cure before buffing.  I have a piece that I'm working on now that soaks the finish in so fast that it looks like there's wax on the surface.  Each coat gets better though, so I'm on the right track.

Somebody who has some Mylands help us out here.  Is there anything else in Mylands other than shellac?
CoolRev. Doug Miller
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2008 at 1:58pm by Rev. Doug Miller »  

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #9 - May 7th, 2008 at 2:13pm

Doug, I've always called Formby out on the lack of tung oil in the bottle.

The latest MSDS sheet has a ingredient called "Modified Soya Tung Alkyd Resin".
Who knows what the heck that is. But if I had to guess, I'd call it soybean oil... which makes it very similar to Watco Danish Oil.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register;    (Notice 70% mineral spirits)

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #10 - May 7th, 2008 at 2:16pm

Ron, if I remember right, that is what Russ says about most of the oil finishes, soy bean oil and way too much mineral spirits.  Gets real aggravating when they change formulas to this type of combination and you don't realize it until you've put a couple of coats on a piece and you get strange results.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print