Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How I Mount Bowl Blanks (Read 2,287 times)

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
How I Mount Bowl Blanks
May 11th, 2008 at 10:51am

There are many ways to mount bowls blanks to a lathe. Some turners use faceplates and some will rough out blanks between centers. I know of one turner who roughs out bowls using a big pin chuck. I've tried all these methods and they all work well.

I developed this method because I core all my blanks, even if I don't plan on using the core. I wanted a way that I can quickly and easily remount a blank from both sides. Here is my method for mounting bowl blanks on the lathe.

For larger images  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
When I round my blanks, I use cardboard circle templates. In the center of each template there is a hole where I placed a stick pin to hold the template in place.  If I don't have a template the right size,  I'll use either a big compass or make a new template.

In this case I used a large compass so I can decide where I wanted my center. I marked the circumference then bandsawed along the pencil mark.

Next, I use a spring loaded center punch  to enlarge the hole.  Since the hole is a little hard to see in the photo, I placed a chalk mark for clarification.

(This is the inside of the bowl)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Here I'm using a speed square to help me eyeball a straight hole. I'm using a 2-1/8" forstner bit mounted in a hand drill.

I drill to a depth of about 3/8"

I place a chuck with a set of #2 jaws into the hole.

Here is the bowl mounted on the lathe and now I get the chance to try out the new home I gave my Thompson bowl gouge.

Outside all roughed out along with a 2" tenon

I reversed the bowl and will proceed to core out the center. Once I pop out the center I will flip the core and mount it again using the hole I first drilled. I will turn a new tenon and repeat the process again.

I was able to get three bowl blanks from this piece and the whole process described here took around one hour.
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2008 at 11:00am by Ron Sardo »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ric Rountree

WR Rocks!

Re: How I Mount Bowl Blanks
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2008 at 11:54am

Ron;

Very clearly documented process.  Makes me wish I had a coring system to save the wood and the productivity.

Roundwood

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2008 at 5:09pm

Nice work, Ron.  Your description makes me even more anxious for Robust Hippy's video to arrive.  This method may very well work for me as well.  I like the idea of the drilled hole for the initial chuck hold.  Seems to make a lot of sense.  Most other folks are saying to do the initial shaping between centers with a tenon on the bottom end.  Then reverse and core.  This just makes a lot more sense so that you can re-reverse the core and go at it once again.  The simplest of ideas...  One of those "duh" ideas.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2008 at 5:55pm

Great minds and all that...  Grin

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

Todd Senterfitt

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2008 at 4:12pm

I don't use a corer but also use the forstner bit -> chuck method as Ron.  I feel like chucks cause less wood loss than faceplates but perhaps that's just me.

The artist formerly known as urobouros

IP Logged

boxxmaker
Ex Member

I Love WR

Reply #5 - May 14th, 2008 at 8:23pm

Very nice Ron,its allways nice to have a new way to try things

IP Logged

Leo De Bruin

Turning pro as soon as
I retire

Kitwanga, BC, Canada, Canada
Kitwanga, BC, Canada
Canada

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2008 at 2:40pm

Ron - I have used the technique you have shown us here and it works well for small bowls and good wood.  Through trial and error using the poorer quality wood(birch,denim wood,alder etc) we have here in Canada I have found I need to use my 4" jaws for more holding power particularily with the coring process, so a larger Forstner bit is required.  I also drill using a drill press with the larger bits. Bettter to be safe than sorry!

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2008 at 4:02pm

Ron,
You do use a coring tool like a McNaughton don't you?

Chuck

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #8 - May 18th, 2008 at 6:52pm

Chuck Beland wrote on May 18th, 2008 at 4:02pm:
Ron,
You do use a coring tool like a McNaughton don't you?

Chuck

Yup, I have the McNaughton with the standard and the mini blades.  Eventually I might get the jumbo set.

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #9 - May 18th, 2008 at 6:54pm

Tell me what is the straight blade for?

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #10 - May 18th, 2008 at 7:17pm

Chuck Beland wrote on May 18th, 2008 at 6:54pm:
Tell me what is the straight blade for?

Good Question, Want to buy it? Smiley

I've never used it myself, but I had a chance to watch JoHannes Michelsen turn a cowboy hat once. He used it like a parting tool to remove a ring to create the top part of the hat.

IP Logged

Leo De Bruin

Turning pro as soon as
I retire

Kitwanga, BC, Canada, Canada
Kitwanga, BC, Canada
Canada

Reply #11 - May 18th, 2008 at 11:59pm

I think I read somewhere the straight blade is for coring out vases. I too have the mcnaughton system but have never used the straight one for anything but collecting dust.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #12 - May 19th, 2008 at 2:27pm

I wonder if the straight ones are so that you can drive two of them into the wall to be a rack for the others?
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print