Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Patching with CA glue and grinds and chips (Read 2,209 times)

John Frigillana

WR Rocks!

Kaneohe, Hawaii, USA
Kaneohe
Hawaii
USA

Jet 1642
Patching with CA glue and grinds and chips
May 17th, 2008 at 12:26pm

Cool Ok veterans turners, I need some input. I'm doing a hollow form and the piece I have roughed  Shockedut had the pith eaten away,so there are holes on the sides of form. I've heard of using coffee grinds or wood dust and CA glue to patch or make the hole smaller. Can anyone elaborate on this method?

Smiley

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
nuturner
Ex Member

Re: Patching with CA glue and grinds and chips
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2008 at 1:35pm

I use the dust or very small remnant particles from turning.  First I try to grade it to some extent so that I don't get a lot of big stuff in the mix.  I also try to separate it from the debris before sanding so I avoid sand particle inclusion.  Once I've got the material ready to use, I place it into the voids using a very small tool (miniature screwdriver blade, etc.) and I pack it down as tightly as possible.  When I'm satisfied with the fill I use thin CA to soak the dust and I wait 24 hours before trying to work on the piece again.  Some folks tell me I don't need to wait that long, but I've found that if I use a CA setting agent it doesn't always penetrate the full depth of a filled crack and the fill looses its stability if I try to work with it too soon.  I haven't used coffee grounds but I suspect I'd use that material in much the same way.

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2008 at 2:53pm

I use a similar method.  If the cracks are superficial I'll use CA glue.  If they are deep or wide, I'll use epoxy.  I like to use coffee grounds (used espresso works best) or brass key filings.

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2008 at 2:59pm

The only difference with coffee is that they coffee acts like a natural accelerator.  Once the crack is filled with the coffee, drizzle on the thin CA and stand back.  There will be a wisp of smoke.  There will also be a lot of fumes.  Just stand back and keep your hands off the piece for a few minutes.  It will be cured pretty quickly and you can return/sand in only a few minutes.  You may have to go back and fill a second time.  Even so, it is quick because of the accelerator action and well worth the effort as it looks like bark inclusion.  Have fun experimenting.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2008 at 3:21pm

Also, if you use accelerator, it may make the glue dry cloudy.  It's best to not use accelerator. 

Accelerator also results in an exothermic reaction.  It will burn you seriously if you're not careful.

Sometimes, if the void is too big, you need to apply a layer of tape on one side to allow the glue to set.

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

John Frigillana

WR Rocks!

Kaneohe, Hawaii, USA
Kaneohe
Hawaii
USA

Jet 1642
Reply #5 - May 17th, 2008 at 3:33pm

Roll EyesLots of great replies. One more question, I put some green wood sealer on, how would I address this as far as doing the CA glue and the wood dust ant particulates. Do I use a thinner to remove or clean the area?

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #6 - May 17th, 2008 at 8:10pm

I would turn it away on the inside and outside.  If it is down in the crack, then yes, use some mineral spirits and even some sand paper so that you have a clean surface for the glue to adhere to.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Norbert Dupas
WR Addict

Oakbank, Manitoba, Canada
Oakbank
Manitoba
Canada

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2008 at 12:41pm

WEll I tried most of the methods, but lately, I just leave the cracks (provided they're not too big).  Guess I'm just lazy, but I don't think so, for me, I just don't like the way it ends up looking (when I do it anyway).  People here (where I live) tell me it adds "character", but I am not 100% convinced of that....although, I find it's not much of a nuissance to the piece usually.  

...Bert
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2008 at 12:42pm by Norbert Dupas »  

...Bert

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #8 - May 20th, 2008 at 4:09pm

Depending on the piece, it might look good just to leave the holes.  Like Bert said, it adds character to the piece.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Ric Rountree

WR Rocks!

Reply #9 - May 20th, 2008 at 8:31pm

Leo Frilot wrote on May 17th, 2008 at 2:53pm:
I use a similar method.  If the cracks are superficial I'll use CA glue.  If they are deep or wide, I'll use epoxy.  I like to use coffee grounds (used espresso works best) or brass key filings.

A problem I've had with CA glue is that it tends to soak in the wood out from the void and stain it.  So when using CA glue how do you keep it from staining the wood?

Roundwood

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #10 - May 20th, 2008 at 8:48pm

I wipe the area down with finish and try not to get in the void

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ric Rountree

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - May 20th, 2008 at 8:52pm

Ron Sardo wrote on May 20th, 2008 at 8:48pm:
I wipe the area down with finish and try not to get in the void

Great!  Thanks.

Roundwood

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #12 - May 21st, 2008 at 7:43am

Or a little wax around the crack can help keep it from "bleeding"

WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print