Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Experiment comparing three finishes on bowls (Read 1,492 times)

couvillion
WR Noob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Experiment comparing three finishes on bowls
Jun 19th, 2008 at 8:28pm

Last week I asked about bowl finishes which would repel strawberry stains, and some suggested that I experiment and report the results.  Well here they are.   Took three recently finished bowl from the same South Louisisna live oak tree, gave them 3 days of curing time, then water rinsed and squashed into each a dallop of cherries, thousand island salad dressing, mustard, mayonaisse, fresh strawberries, lettuce,cabbage,and tomatoes.  One bowl finished with Watco Danish Oil, one with Minwax wipe on poly, and one with Waterlox.  The Watco Danish finish showed stains with thousand island, mustard, mayo, straberry, and tomato.  Both the Minwax poly and the Waterlox had zero staining.

Waterlox and poly are superior stain resistors, but another question for those with experience.  Can I presume that poly , being a surface film finish may rub off more quickly?? And Waterlox, with its penetrating plus film build up,   last longer in a salad bowl??  I will keep a journal on results, but it may take a year to establish longevity.    Another question - any reason why I could not take the bowls already finished with Watco Danish and add two or more coats of Waterlox over the Danish Oil ??

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: Experiment comparing three finishes on bowls
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 8:52pm

Waterlox should last longer. A good thing is both poly and waterlox are easy finishes to repair.

Remember
You need to let the finish cure a month or two or three before you use it with food.
If you can still smell the finish, don't eat out of it.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 4:19am

Definitely listen to Ron you don't want to ingest that finish. I would probably wait 3 to 6 months to make sure it's fully cured.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Norbert Dupas
WR Addict

Oakbank, Manitoba, Canada
Oakbank
Manitoba
Canada

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 12:40pm

Ron Sardo wrote on Jun 19th, 2008 at 8:52pm:
Waterlox should last longer. A good thing is both poly and waterlox are easy finishes to repair.

Remember
You need to let the finish cure a month or two or three before you use it with food.
If you can still smell the finish, don't eat out of it.

Would you eat out of ANY bowl that doesn't smell of it's finish?  Even if you used Deft?  I have concerns about doing that, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wants my bowls to eat out of.  What do you think?  Maybe I don't know squat!  Roll Eyes lol.

...bert

...Bert

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 1:29pm

All finishes are food safe once cured.

If you can't smell the finish, it's cured.

IP Logged

Norbert Dupas
WR Addict

Oakbank, Manitoba, Canada
Oakbank
Manitoba
Canada

Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 3:42pm

So, Ron, you personally wouldn't have any concerns eating from it?  I guess I kindof think about these "plastic" water jugs that EVERYONE seems to have nowadays.  It too was thought to be safe, but now it's a big worry to everyone.  Just picking your brain  Wink

...Bert

...Bert

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 4:11pm

I agree with Ron.  Just for the record, I contacted the Mylands people and the Friction Polish is food safe also, as long as it is fully cured.  The rep told me, when you can't smell it, it's cured.

As for plastic, as long as you don't super heat it, it's fine.

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 4:52pm

Norbert Dupas wrote on Jun 23rd, 2008 at 3:42pm:
So, Ron, you personally wouldn't have any concerns eating from it?  I guess I kindof think about these "plastic" water jugs that EVERYONE seems to have nowadays.  It too was thought to be safe, but now it's a big worry to everyone.  Just picking your brain  Wink

...Bert

No problem at all, and the tick only shows up now and then.  Cheesy

Like you and Leo mention, plastic water bottles, like the type too many people like to buy are ok, but once the bottles get hot the chemical leaches out of the plastic and into the water. (Not to mention land fill problems)

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Dale Gillaspy
WR Addict

Turning Designer Firewood

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #8 - Jul 10th, 2008 at 9:38pm

I agree. Every finish is safe once it is fully cured. I would have no problem eating out of a bowl with any finish, once it is fully cured.  As far as the water bottles go, bring them on. I'm not a radical anyting, to either extreme, but I get really tired of how everything I do is going to give me Cancer and how my very existence is causing the destruction of the world.

Sorry....needed to vent. I'm better now. Wink

WWW Dale Gillaspy gd5043  
IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 3:50am

Dale Gillaspy wrote on Jul 10th, 2008 at 9:38pm:
I get really tired of how everything I do is going to give me Cancer and how my very existence is causing the destruction of the world.

Sorry....needed to vent. I'm better now. Wink

Fire,
So true how about they really try to cure it. What gets me is there maybe use 5 labs trying to cure it I wonder if they share results so money & effort is not wasted or are they keeping their results so if they do find one their company will reap all of the rewards.????? Huh

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print