Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using the right or left tip of the tool (Read 718 times)

Travis Northcutt
WR Addict

Using the right or left tip of the tool
Jul 3rd, 2008 at 9:00pm

We had our second club meeting tonight and the guy who is heading it up talked about using the right side of the a bowl gouge to hollow out a bowl and using the left side to make a finishing cut.   What I mean by "hollow out" is taking a larger more aggressive cut.  Then turning right around and using a more closed cut as a finishing pass.  I tried it and it worked pretty good.  Now, this maybe something you guys use all the time, but this was the first time I ever thought about right vs. left usage of the tool. 

How many of you guys use your bowl gouge this way and can give me any tips?  I know the obvious answer is get a Ci1, and I'm working on that. Cheesy

Artitst Formerly Known as BAMA &&Before you can thunder into Pharoah's court proclaiming "thus saith the Lord", you must first stand before a burning bush

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Craig_Jackson
WR Preferred Business Sponsor

You can never fail if<br
/>you never give up.<br
/>

Re: Using the right or left tip of the tool
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 10:07pm

Bama,
I have had good luck with the finish cut you mention. I caution you to make sure to rotate the bowl gouge to the left with the flute at about ten o'clock and use the burr from a fresh grind.

I also use a Sorby multi-scraper with even better results. I sharpen the tear drop cutter around its' edge vs the instructions recomendation of sharpening the top of the cutter. This edge sharpening generates a more usable burr. You will need to resharpen quite often with any tool when using the burr.

Again any method using a burr is best saved for final finishing cuts.

<div style=
IP Logged

Paul Zerjay

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Using the right or left tip of the tool
Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 8:39am

Bama
A lot of times I will use the technique you talked about, but there is another way as well. Start out with the tip of the tool at or about toolrest height. When you have progressed in to the point where the wall meets the bowl bottom, drop the tool handle really low. This raises the tip way up and off center from the centerline of the bowl. This causes you to make an arc back down to the center of the bowl. Fun cut. Try it.

Sometimes I mentor
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print