WR Rocks!

Kaneohe, Hawaii, USA
Kaneohe
Hawaii
USA

Jet 1642
Jam chuck-Pin chuck
Aug 4th, 2008 at 12:21pm

Smiley What would be the best way to remove a tenon from a HF prior to finishing ? The opening would be about 1" to 1  1/2. Jam chuck, Pin chuck, etc. Huh

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: Jam chuck-Pin chuck
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 1:24pm

Vacuum Chuck.

Depending on the thickness of the walls and how large the HF is, a jam chuck may work. A donut chuck might be the right one also.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

nuturner
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 2:13pm

I agree.  I've tried a variety of methods, including the Longworth chuck, Nova Cole Jaws (and chucks of similar styles) and nothing provides the reliable support that a vacuum chuck or "donut" chuck offers for this particular turning task.  The only exception I can think of, because I've never used them (yet) are the Nova Soft Jaws.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2008 at 2:15pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 12:07am

John, you've gotten some good advice already and there is not much more I can add.  A picture in the gallery might help us give you more specific advice.  What is being said though is that it depends on your piece.  A lot of factors will play into the decision as to what the best way to reverse this piece will be.  The soft jaws that Nuturner mentioned are great if you have a strong rim that the jaws can clamp onto. 
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

John Frigillana

WR Rocks!

Kaneohe, Hawaii, USA
Kaneohe
Hawaii
USA

Jet 1642
Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 1:09pm

AngryI 'm trying to post some pics but it 's not accepting it , any advice.

IP Logged

Bill Bolen
WR Addict

Missouri turner

Eureka, Missouri, USA
Eureka
Missouri
USA

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 3:44pm

make sure the size of your pic is under 50 and you need to register a second time in the gallery to post a pic.You can use the same name and PW as you have for the forum but still need to register seperatly...Bill...

2Ljunkie

IP Logged

John Frigillana

WR Rocks!

Kaneohe, Hawaii, USA
Kaneohe
Hawaii
USA

Jet 1642
Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 4:08pm

SmileyHere are the pics. The opening is 1".

IP Logged

John Frigillana

WR Rocks!

Kaneohe, Hawaii, USA
Kaneohe
Hawaii
USA

Jet 1642
Posting pics
Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 7:15pm

Tried registering with the gallery ,but still can not upload pics. Reply says file exceeds limit. What are the parameters to uploading pics? Embarrassed

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #8 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 9:33pm

jpg, jpeg or png... max is 100kb or smaller nutten over... hope this helps
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2008 at 9:35pm by Mike Baber »  

Wizzy

IP Logged

Đave Wendell
WR Addict

Charleston, SC, South Carolina, USA
Charleston, SC
South Carolina
USA

Re: Posting pics
Reply #9 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 1:33am

John Frigillana wrote on Aug 6th, 2008 at 7:15pm:
Tried registering with the gallery ,but still can not upload pics. Reply says file exceeds limit. What are the parameters to uploading pics? Embarrassed

You need to use an image resizer.  I like to use this site  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   It's real easy.  Click the browse button a small window will open, and go to the folder where your picture is, Click on the picture you want to use.  The window will now close.  Select the 600 pixels.  Select Greyscale if it is not already.  Select Best and click the Resize button.  Give it a moment or two to work it's magic, the window will change and you will be able to see the pic you just resized.  You can click on  "Download this picture now" and select save and then the folder.  Do that and save it to a folder where you can find it.  I always rename it before I save it, I also save it to a folder I named Resized so that I know they are ready to be posted, and not the originals.  You could also right click on the picture and select "Save Picture As" and then find the folder you want to put it in.  All that is left is to use the upload feature in the gallery.

Give it a try, once you do one you will find it is easier to do than to read about. Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2008 at 1:39am by Đave Wendell »  

Life's Short, Laugh Hard!

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #10 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 5:40am

The Shrinkpictures.com site looks very handy. I'll pass that on elsewhere.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #11 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 8:28am

Đave Wendell wrote on Aug 7th, 2008 at 1:33am:
John Frigillana wrote on Aug 6th, 2008 at 7:15pm:

I like to use this site  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register;  It's real easy. 

That looks like a good one.

Here what I've been using

IP Logged

Đave Wendell
WR Addict

Charleston, SC
South Carolina
USA

Reply #12 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 12:15pm

Ron Sardo wrote on Aug 7th, 2008 at 8:28am:
[quote author=John link=1217870500/0#7 date=1218068108]Tried registering with the gallery ,but still can not upload pics. Reply says file exceeds limit. What are the parameters to uploading pics? Embarrassed

I like yours too Ron.  I have it on my pc as well.

The nice thing about shrinkpictures is it is good for those with an older slower processor and fuller hard drive.  LOL a buddy's pc took 17 minutes one day to crunch something small enough for an email.  The whole time I'm on the other end of the phone hearing what a "piece of" his pc has become.  The next phone call was for advice on what new pc he should purchase.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #13 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 12:26pm

Đave Wendell wrote on Aug 7th, 2008 at 12:15pm:
Ron Sardo wrote on Aug 7th, 2008 at 8:28am:
[quote author=John link=1217870500/0#7 date=1218068108]Tried registering with the gallery ,but still can not upload pics. Reply says file exceeds limit. What are the parameters to uploading pics? Embarrassed

I like yours too Ron.  I have it on my pc as well.

The nice thing about shrinkpictures is it is good for those with an older slower processor and fuller hard drive.  LOL a buddy's pc took 17 minutes one day to crunch something small enough for an email.  The whole time I'm on the other end of the phone hearing what a "piece of" his pc has become.  The next phone call was for advice on what new pc he should purchase.

Yikes!
To create all the thumbnails for Leo's page took about 2 seconds after I pointed to the directory where the photos where stored and clicked on the size I wanted.
I like yours too Ron.

IP Logged

Đave Wendell
WR Addict

Charleston, SC
South Carolina
USA

Reply #14 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 12:31pm

Well, not to beat my buddy up, but he was running a P2 with 256mb memory.  Not to sure how many programs opened in mem every time he cranked it up, but enough to slow things way down. Shocked

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print