Jim Van Hooser

Houston, Texas, Texas, USA
Houston, Texas
Texas
USA

Re: Corn Cob's
Reply #15 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 12:43pm

Scott Johnson wrote on Aug 8th, 2008 at 10:41am:
With the thinned lacquer or varnish do you just dip them or do you let them soak for a while?

I cut the cobs, drill them, and soak them in Minwax hardener overnight in a sealed fruitjar.  I'm not sure they really need that long, though.  Then I let them cure for a couple of days.

If I plan to dye them, I don't stabilize the cob and use a lot of CA as I go.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2008 at 12:43pm by Jim Van Hooser »  

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #16 - Aug 8th, 2008 at 5:03pm

Scott, I usually cut them a little over sized and then let them soak for a while, or over night at least.  If they go 24 hours it is no big deal.  You will then need to let them dry a while.  A day or two will usually do it.  Once dry, glue in your tubes, sand til pretty close to the tubes, use your barrel trimmer carefully to square the blank to the tube.  If you're too aggressive the trimmer can catch the cob and rip it in a spiral.  Then there is nothing to do other than start over.  Turn, glue, sand, glue, sand, etc. until finished.  Sounds pretty easy, right?  It really is and only takes a few minutes longer than a wood pen.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Scott Johnson

WR Rocks!

Reply #17 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 10:58am

So I tried on a practice piece of wood to do the CA finish and have a question now.  How long do I keep the plastic bag in contact with the blank as I apply the glue?

Scott&&Live out of your imagination, not your history. - Stephen Covey&&
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #18 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 11:39am

I'm sorry, I guess I made a bunch of assumptions that I shouldn't have.  All you are doing with the plastic bag is to protect your finger from getting glue on it.  The only reason this becomes important is because you need to spread the glue somehow.  So to answer your question, just long enough to spread the glue and smooth it evenly across the blank.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Scott Johnson

WR Rocks!

Reply #19 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 11:50am

Don't worry about making those assumptions Rev.  I had my wife come try to make a pen last month (she wanted to try one) and made a lot of assumptions that she knew somewhat how to use the lathe and tools.  I WAS DEAD WRONG!  Ok, so maybe DEAD is the wrong word here, no one died.  But I certainly had to explain a lot more that I first thought I would have to. 

As for my practicing, I was holding the bag on too long then.  I think I was mixing up your explanation with others who described using BLO.  I'll have to give it a try a few more times this week.  I want to make sure I really have this down before I try it on my Corn cobs.  I really do not want to mess them up.  Thanks for the help Rev!

Scott&&Live out of your imagination, not your history. - Stephen Covey&&
IP Logged

MikeInMo

Hyperbole is the best
thing ever!

Reply #20 - Aug 21st, 2008 at 10:11pm

Here's a corncob pen tutorial:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This is the CA method I generally use (Video 2):
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Hope this helps.

"Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there." Will Rogers

Don't sneeze in your face shield.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print