Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Spray question for you guys (Read 3,091 times)

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Spray question for you guys
Sep 8th, 2008 at 12:06am

A while back I ordered and got some water based lacquer.  I've brushed it on and it seems to work ok but would really be better if it were sprayed on.  I did spray some of it and got great results but found I was having trouble keeping the pieces from wanting to fly across the shop.  Got frustrated with the process and went on to Seal-A-Cell.  Now I realize that my pressure was way too high.  What psi do you guys spray with?
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Glyn Buckley
WR Addict

WR, the Center of the
Vortex

Re: Spray question for you guys
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 2:19pm

Rev,
I have used my sprayer for many differnt applications and I have found between 30psi and 60psi work great for most paints/finishes and will go lower if I can on a really thin fisish. I use the least pressure that will give an even spray pattern. This will also give less blowback or overspray. If it requires more pressure that this then I thin my finish. Just my opinion.
Glyn

Learn something new every day.
Glyn (formerly Swashbuckley)
Waxahachie, Texas

IP Logged

boxxmaker
Ex Member

I Love WR

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 4:37pm

Rev,do you have a gravity type sprayer?that would be the best type to use with what your doing as it doesn't need hardly any pressure to get a neat pattern.

IP Logged

Paul Zerjay

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 4:38pm

hey Rev
I take it you don't have HVLP. Great system!!

Sometimes I mentor
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 4:38pm

Rev I use a Paasche VL air brush and I run mine mostly on 25 psi for the most part, but have gone up to 45 psi but not often. Recommended air pressure .5 to 1 CFM @ 20 to 45 lbs. depending on tip size and fluid being sprayed. It will depend on how thick your mixture is and what it is, you need to play around with yours to see what looks best to you. Not all sprayers are created equal, their are some really cheap ones on the market and aren't worth the time it takes to make them.

If your interested, here is the one I use... Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, scroll down to the 1st full set and you'll see it.

Wizzy

IP Logged

Paul Zerjay

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 4:45pm

Hey Wizz I have that exact airbrush. I have only used it for small projects like india ink. Never used it to spray lacquer. Especially on a complete project. Does it do the job well?

Sometimes I mentor
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 5:00pm

Yup... I highly recommend it, do a couple of test sprays to see if your mixture is right though... to thick and it want spray right and you'll know it right off, it'll look real cloudy as the spray comes out... to thin it'll run like crazy. I like to start out a little thick and then thin it down to what I'm looking far and try and remember how I mixed it.

I don't have a formula to go by, I just go by how its sticks to what ever it is I'm spraying. I also mix up about 3 oz most times so I know I'll have enough to finish a project and I like the clear LV-3-OZ bottles so you can see how much you got left when your spraying and hopefully not run out.

One of the best BD present mama ever got me and I've had mine for over 12 years. One of the best on the market!

Wizzy

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #7 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 5:31pm

i have a gravity feed and keep the pressure right around 10 psi.  then i play with the knobs until i get a good coverage.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Glyn Buckley
WR Addict

WR, the Center of the
Vortex

Reply #8 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 6:37pm

Ounces? Grin, My system starts at 1 gal. which is why I have never tried it for my turnings. I will have to check out the airbrushes you recommended Wizzy sounds like just the trick.

Waxahachie, Texas

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #9 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 8:07pm

Swashbuckley, another reason I like the one I spoke of, you can remove the plastic cover from the end of the air brush and apply more spray if you pull the needle back further. Also the needles are interchangeable, the set I have has 3 different needles, from a very fine mist to a heavy coating if you wish. You can also change them in mid stream if you like. The worst part about the entire system... the needles are easy to damage if you drop them or bump them against something. To me, that is the only draw back with the Paasche I have... but you can always get replacement needles.

Oh yea... ya can get different size bottles, from 1 oz and up or if you get the top feeder, you can use as little as 1/8 oz in it. Check out the web page I posted, they show all of their brush's and the price's are with in reason. Most all your top air brush artiest use the Paasche, that's how I found out about them.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2008 at 8:20pm by Mike Baber »  

Wizzy

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 8:39pm

I never tired spraying lacquer though an airbrush.
The Paasche VL has different size tips, which one works best?

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #11 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 9:45pm

No HVLP here.  I have a 1 qt spray gun, just the regular spray gun found in most home shops.  I also picked up a "touch-up" gun from HF on another turner's suggestion.  I haven't even used it yet.  I appreciate all the recommendations and advice.  I think I'll back the pressure off to about 40 psi and use the touch-up gun.  That will give me more than enough material for many pieces. 
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

boxxmaker
Ex Member

I Love WR

Reply #12 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 10:07pm

Ron Sardo wrote on Sep 8th, 2008 at 8:39pm:
I never tired spraying lacquer though an airbrush.
The Paasche VL has different size tips, which one works best?

Ron when I did autobody repair an painting I did a lot of custum lacquer work on cars vans and motorcycle tanks and thats where I used the airbrushes quite a bit,you just have to thin it out.I don't know what the tip sizes are now,its been a few yrs since I used one,but now the subject has been brought up,I just may be doin a little shopin.THANKS guys just what I need ,another toy  Roll Eyes

Rev you auta pick up one of those little gravity guns,for the work you do it won't take you long before you wish you had gottin it many yrs ago.There really not that expensive.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2008 at 10:08pm by Ken Ward »  

IP Logged

Glyn Buckley
WR Addict

WR, the Center of the
Vortex

Reply #13 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 3:11pm

Oooooh, more toys. Roll Eyes
Wizzy I spent a good bit of time looking at the website. It seems you have pointed us to the best brand. How hard are they to clean up. I have used HVLP and the HP system like Rev has, and all of them are quite a project to keep them clean and working. If you had your choice (now) which of the models would you buy (VL -???).
Glyn

Waxahachie, Texas

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #14 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 4:34pm

good airbrush site

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print