Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
kinda jacked... (Read 1,711 times)

Junior Adams

kinda jacked...
Dec 27th, 2008 at 8:54am

Ok, i know i am new around here... lol... anyway.

I just noticed that there were alot of pics uploaded by one person. I tried to search that person on the forums and they dont seem to even have a forum account. is that really cool?

Seems like they are using WR bandwidth to store their pics and not contributing to the site otherwise... kinda messed up is all...

I mean it's not enough that they load 30 pics at a time, so EVERYONE gets knocked off the homepage, but to knock everyone off and not even have an account to know the rules that you are breaking...

anyway,, not trying to start trouble.. just seemed messed up to me. seems like it should be mandatory to have an account in the forums to take advantage of our gallery is all... as well as to know the gallery rules before you post there.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: kinda jacked...
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 10:02am

You are right Ron.

I've been thinking about a way how to handle this since Chuck brought a similar problem to my attention.
I have a few ideas I need to pass by the Admin team to come to a workable solution

BTW, the person you might be referring to does have an account here
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2008 at 10:38am by Ron Sardo »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

boxxmaker
Ex Member

I Love WR

Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 11:52am

First off I want to point out that I am not criticizing the post.I do agree with it,but sometimes we have new folks who try to join up and don't realize they are doing things wrong and thats why we are here, to try and point out there mistakes and help get them started on the right track.I joined a forum once and filled out the registration wrong,but instead of sending me a PM or email me and let me know what I did wrong,he proceded to chew me out right on the open forum like I was some kind of idiot,about how I was causing him a lot of extra work and he didn't like that.My response was to hit the membership delete button.Just my 2cents.

IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 12:38pm

I am assuming you are referring to me and the last I knew I am a member of this site.  If you read my response to JimQ you would see that I publicly apologized.  Whenever someone starts using another feature of anything camera, computer, forum picture gallery they are not going to be perfect starting out.  I read the boasts on this forum how friendly and helpful people are here.  So rather than get jacked get helpful and send me a PM as boxxmaker suggest and I will gladly comply.  There are so many topics and such here that I missed the post about pictures and five at a time, which I saw for the first time, right before I saw this thread.  I again publicly apologize for making the mistake in the picture gallery.   I also apologize for taking such offense to this thread.

Dale A. Bonertz

Dale

IP Logged

Đave Wendell
WR Addict

Charleston, SC, South Carolina, USA
Charleston, SC
South Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 1:21pm

Dale,

It's all good!  No harm was done in the posting of the pics.  As you now know we try to limit to 5 pics a day, that way more can share the first page of the gallery for whatever time they have before being bumped to the next page.  Good looking stuff by the way! 

Life's Short, Laugh Hard!

IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #5 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 1:38pm

Thanks Dave,

I truly did not mean to foul things up.  I now know better and will gladly follow the rule.  Thanks for your kind comments on my work.

Dale

Dale

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #6 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 1:48pm

Dale,  No problem.  You replied to my note about the error politely.  I don't think you'll do it again, now that you know the rule.  You weren't the first, and I'm sure you won't be the last.  A lot of new members have gotten carried away the first time they post in the gallery.

Like others have said, it is beautiful work.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #7 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 2:37pm

Hi Dale,

And welcome.  Don't beat yourself up over a mistake, I made one too one time.  Also, I was here three months before I realised there was a forum I didn't know about, the Totally Off Topic (TOT) boards.  I didn't enter my date of birth on my profile so that part of the forum didn't show.

Your work is excellent.

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Bob Hampton

stress releif "let the
chips fly"

Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 3:50pm

shoot! I make so many mistakes on here that i cant remember what the first one's were when i make the next one!
I'm still trying to find my tape measure ...ive seen it 5 times sitting on the tablesaw!

Bob
Bob Hampton  
IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #9 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 5:19pm

It's all good.  Thanks for the comments.  Can we all go have some fun now. Smiley

Dale

Dale

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #10 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 5:19pm

I did it when I first started also.  Besides, isn't the guy motto "Put it together, then read the instructions".  Applies here as well.

Now that the air is cleared again, let's see some shavings flying to the rafters.

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #11 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 6:06pm

Dale,

No harm Dale. Like Jim mentioned, you are not the first one to do this.  Chuck mentioned to me a different person and slightly different problem.

Among the things I'm looking into is having the software restrict uploads to 5 a day per member. I'm also trying to figure out some kind of reminder in the upload page so there are no surprises.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #12 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 6:51pm

All this is why we keep Ron around.  Good job friend.  Yes, we have rules, but we don't normally beat folks up too bad for breaking them.  I'm sure Ron meant no harm by his original post either.  Good idea to send an email when someone does make a mistake.  I've received them on this and other boards.  Pretty nice courtesy we can give folks.

NOW BACK TO TURNING!
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #13 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 6:54pm

Both good ideas Ron.  I joined this forum one or two years ago and even if I had been told the picture rule at that time I probably would not have remembered it when I started using the gallery a year or so later.  I think a 5 pic block with a message stating why is a good idea.  Or a pop up that says "Remember 5 pic max per day thanks WR" or something to that effect when someone is uploading.  I hope all is well.

Dale

Dale

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #14 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 7:30pm

Hey Dale

I just added the text on the upload page.

Like Doug said, I meant no harm, it was just that my coffee didn't kick in yet.

IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #15 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 8:55pm

Like I've said all is good.

Dale

Dale

IP Logged

Junior Adams

Reply #16 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 12:32am

My bad Dale. I actually tried to search you out here in the forums. Unfortunately for me, i am not very good with the search thingy. i was gonna send you a friendly message making you aware of the rule, but i got frustrated when my search brought no results for your nick. Anyway..

PS... you do have some really nice work!!

IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #17 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 8:26am

Thanks Junior,

All is well.

Dale

Dale

IP Logged

Glyn Buckley
WR Addict

WR, the Center of the
Vortex

Reply #18 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 12:45pm

Dale,
Neat work. I enjoyed viewing them. You have obvioulsy been putting in some hours on the lathe. I thought I would comment here instead of each pic.

keep up the good work.

Glyn

Learn something new every day.
Glyn (formerly Swashbuckley)
Waxahachie, Texas

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #19 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 5:40pm

I just wanted to take a few minutes here and point out that it is possible to find out if a person is a member in this forum easily.  Up towards the top, below the links for the chatroom and featured artist and such there is a series of button and the 4th from the left says members.  Click on it and you can arrange them alphabetically or by date of joining or a couple of other ways I can't think of right now.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Junior Adams

Reply #20 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 6:57am

thanks for the tip Philip. I actually tried that first, but with my SUPER slow dialup, when i tried to change the list criteria the page would not load hardly and i got frustrated and tried the search engine.

Next time i think i will just let the mods worry about it.. seem to have gotten myself into a bit of a pickle with my big mouth!! lol.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print