Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
scrapers,  What size?   (Read 2,407 times)

jacen68

Relax and have fun

scrapers,  What size?  
Dec 27th, 2008 at 8:37pm

I'm trying to start making bowls,  the road block I keep running into is my square scraper from my basic turning set isn't quite up to the task.  Everytime I extend it 3 or 4 inches into the bowl it gets grabby no matter what kind of grind I put on it.  This was the original scraper that came w/ my harbor freight turning set.   To turn small bowls what should be the minimal size scraper I should look for?  I know rockler has one but it's a 112.xx.   I haven't forked over the money for a couple of reasons one don't have it, and two, it seems silly to justify spending that kind of bucks on a hunk of metal that I'm going to be shaping anyways.  At least w/ a bowl gouge it comes in a unique shape.

Take care and have fun, &&Jason
jacen68 jacen68  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Re: scrapers,  What size?  
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 8:44pm

Some people make scrapers from files.  I haven't done it but I'm sure the guys here will have advice on it.

Edit: NO FILES
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2008 at 11:50am by Brendan McAreavy »  

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 9:47pm

Do not make a scraper out of a file it isn't strong enough & it will break.
There was a you tube video of a guy that did & you see it broke off & go flying.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 12:20am

Use your bowl gouge to hollow out a bowl.  A round nose or radiused scraper will do the trick, but a bowl gouge is probably the best tool for the job.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #4 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 1:08am

If you are going to stick it out that far, you should be using at least a 3/8" thick scraper.  Also the handles on the HF set are a bit too short for control with that much over hang.  That is probably why you are getting so many catches.  PSI makes an Inboard bowl scraper set that they list for $46.95 that includes a 1 x 3/8 & a 3/4 x 5/16.  Or for your money, you could get Craig's EZRougher which will work better than a scraper in a bowl. 

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #5 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 8:54am

The only time I use a square scrapper is to flatten out the bottom of a lidded box and then its very light cuts. I use my round nose scrapper and bowl gouges for making bowls and some times my skew for beads and other small details. To me a square scraper is better suited for sharp edges like making walls down the side of a piece. before you round the inside of something... but that's me. I like the bowl gouges and round nose scrappers when bowls are being turned on my lathe, I get less catch's and a better finish overall. Square scrappers catch way to much for my taste and mine is hardly ever used for that reason. Try a round nose scraper or a bowl gouge, I think you'd be more happy with either of the two.

Wizzy

IP Logged

Craig_Jackson

You can never fail if<br
/>you never give up.<br
/>

Reply #6 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 9:54am

When doing scraping cuts on the inside of bowls, you should round the end of your tool a little so the corners of the tool do not dig in.

Always have your tool rest above center so you can elevate the grip end of the handle and the tool tip never go below center. So, always cut above center and always keep tip of tool lower than the handle.
Craig_Jackson

<div style=
IP Logged

John Nicholas
WR Supporter

Reply #7 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 10:48pm

How large is the diameter of your bowl?  I have turned bowls as narrow as 4 inches and 6 inches deep.  I've not had to be off the rest by 4 inches.

Can set your rest into the bowl and cut down on the amount of overhang?  That works for all scrapers.  If you are going more then 2 inches, you really should be using a heavier scraper as others have mentioned.  I would also get a rounded scraper or round off the square scraper end for bowl use.

John   Smiley

John&&&&First:  Be Safe  &&Second: Have Fun
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #8 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 11:23pm

I have nine scrapers ranging from 2mm wide to 45mm wide. The thickness ranges from 3mm to 10mm. I use them to hollow bowls mostly. I find them easier to control than a bowl gouge. My bowl gouge has hung on the wall for about three years. I use it every year or so to remind me as to how much I hate usin' the bloody thing.

A scraper sharpened on the left edge is for inside work. A scraper sharpened on the right edge is for outside work.

Remember lads and ladies that any deep-hollowing bit is essentially a scraper  (except the termite & similar).

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

nuturner
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 28th, 2008 at 11:48pm

Hey there, Jacen..  I had chills running down the back of my neck when I read "square scraper" and connected it with "bowl".  OMG, I'm glad you're still in one piece.  You need round nose scrapers with a radius that compliments the shape of your bowl if you're going to use it for that purpose.  You also want a heavy weight scraper (thick) that will stand up to the shock of a catch if one happens to occur.  You also want to work with the tool rest as close to the work area as possible, even it it means moving the tool rest repeatedly to avoid excessive overhang of the tool.  It is not uncommon to work with the end of the tool rest inside the bowl cavity to achieve good support.  The further to tip of the tool extends beyond the tool rest the less control you have over it and the more control it has over you.  Sorby offers some nice bowl scrapers

(Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)

and you can get them from other suppliers as well.
I have a few of the Benjamin's Best

(Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)

in my collection and I like them very much.
Although I agree that a longer handle will give you better control, I've been turning for about three years and I started with the HF cheapie set.  I still use them.  Their handles could be longer but if I don't over extend my tool beyond the point of good leverage on the tool rest they work just fine.
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2008 at 11:52pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

MikeInMo

Hyperbole is the best
thing ever!

Reply #10 - Dec 31st, 2008 at 10:42am

I am also looking at getting a scraper.  It will be to help finish my first batch of rough turned bowls and to work on boxes as I have discovered that the "lightweight roundnose scraper" that I have been using is more like a Spindlemaster (even though it is from an old Craftsman set and not Sorby).  That means it doesn't have much heft or a side profile.  I could grind a side profile on it, but it seems pointless for a thin tool that has a different intended purpose.    I have narrowed my choices down to two types.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The heft of the Minaret is probably overkill for me now, but I am looking down the road some too.  The dual grind seems like it would be good for inside and outside work.  The question to me is it worth the difference in price over a typical radius edge scraper.  I think both will work fine.  Incidentally, I used Henry Taylor tools as my examples because the Minaret seems to have a permanent price reduction at CSUSA, and the others are on sale through today.  Other brands are fine too.

I am not interested in a square nose or square-ish box scraper.  I have a Ci1 that I have been practicing with that I feel will adequately handle any square transitions.

What would you do?

"Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there." Will Rogers

Don't sneeze in your face shield.

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #11 - Dec 31st, 2008 at 9:48pm

I have both of these, but made by Sorby, I use my smaller one almost all the time, it'll do more then the bigger one believe it or not and I get better finish's from it also, I love to see the tiny light weight ribbons flying off that thing when its working properly! Great tool, I'd recommend it for anyone wanting a round nose scraper, here is the one I use and love it... Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register The only difference is I changed the grind more like the one you have posted, Henry Taylor Minaret. That grind does a far better job than the grind Sorby puts on theirs if you ask me.

Wizzy

IP Logged

jacen68

Relax and have fun

Reply #12 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 10:38pm

Just wanted to say thanx to one and all for your advice and wisdom.   Thinking about buying a heavy duty sorby scraper, or a c1, probably a sorby first.   So many tools so little time and money.  but again,  everyone is great, and just would like to say thanx.

Take care and have fun, &&Jason
jacen68 jacen68  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #13 - Jan 2nd, 2009 at 12:58am

You got the order backwards.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Cool Cool

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #14 - Jan 2nd, 2009 at 4:56am

With the money that my customers gave me I also am planning to get a couple of scrapers from Doug along with a few other tools of his  Cool   I have this scraper. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register it's the regular HSS one. I have found that it can be a bit grabby maybe I'm not using it right I try to have the handle a little above the front & have it cut on the center line. I have also tried to have it on a angle to try to get a shear scrape I'm still not getting angel hair that way either.

So I also have some questions As you know I have a Jet mini & the largest diameter I can turn is 9-3/4"

Which of Doug's scrapers would you suggest I get size & shape?
as described above am I using it correctly?
I also want to be able to use it on HF would you suggest I get one dedicated to HF?
I would appreciate any other info you think I should know.

P.S. I just received my new Ci2 tool it's a work of art & I love the handle Craig put on it it feels good in my hand.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print