I want one sometime....    
  10 (17.9%)
They are too expensive    
  1 (1.8%)

Total votes: 56
« Created by: JimQuarles on: Jan 10th, 2009 at 1:10am »

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Do you have a web site? (Read 7,598 times)

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Do you have a web site?
Jan 10th, 2009 at 1:10am

Let's start with a poll to see what people are looking for.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Re: Do you have a web site?
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 7:22am

My answer is halfway between two of the options. Right now, my website only shows my work, but I intend to get it set up before too long to handle online orders, or to at least list some prices. I have sold a few pieces to people who first saw my stuff on my site. I figure it's time to try to drum up more business.

IP Logged

Tom Davis
WR Addict

I get jokes

Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 12:21pm

I chose I want one before the end of the year. I am hoping that I will get some guidance here and some help from a friend on another form.
To be truthful I have no idea where to start. So hopefully someone will come along and make a simple tutorial for those of us that are not as computer savy.

LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY, WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING
WOW WHAT A RIDE

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 12:59pm

Also what info I would like is what do you like or dislike about turning web sites. ie. what works by that I mean colors, the way it's set up, how should the links on the web site be located on the side or when yo move the mouse over a link you get a drop down menu, etc..

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Jim Underwood
WR Addict

It's better to turn than
burn...

Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 1:49pm

I've been contemplating setting one up for several months. I'd like to set it up soon. I don't have problems with the technology, as I've uploaded web pages for work many times.

What I can't seem to do, is figure out what I want it to look like. It's difficult to start with a blank page, and come up with something....

Jim Underwood&&Fides quaerens intellectum&&

IP Logged

MIKE Durham
WR Addict

having too much fun turning

North Chesterfield, Virginia, Virginia, USA
North Chesterfield, Virginia
Virginia
USA

Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 5:32pm

I would like to get one up and running, but I have NO smart in this line at all Embarrassed  smiley=shake head.gif bang head

ex-Bull Durham&&&&give me wood or give me stained glass!&&Mike Durham

IP Logged

Terence Rice
WR Addict

One good turn is addictive.

Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 11:19am

I have a friend who can help me with the technical end but need help and advice on the appearence and features,

TD

How did all these wood shavings get on my shop floor?

IP Logged

Jonathon

A collector - DEFINITELY
not a turner!

Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 10:53am

Design is probably the hardest part - and one of the most important to get right.  Perhaps the first thing to work out is what you want the website to do for you.

Showcase is one thing, selling totally another.

Many computer mags will have 'free - make a website in a weekend' type of software, trouble is it often looks like what it is.  There are quite a few free templates around which may serve you adequately.

Alternatively bite the bullet and use Dreamweaver but be aware going in that there is a very long learning curve.  Speaking personally I find the learning style of Lynda.com (books and videos) suit me very well.

HTH

The Daniel Collection of fine turned wood&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
AustinKliniske
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 10:30pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

this is the one that was paid for to make...I still think it needs work but this is a great start.

do any of you know how to do any webdesign I would love to learn.

I know a lot of photoshop but my good computer is down right now.

Any ways for an introduction.
My name is Austin a year ago I started turning with my father Art who I am going to get on these forums so he can learn a little.
We have made a few sales in the past year altho things are prgressing very slowly but at a decent pace but I'v run into a road block I can't spend much time on the project due to too many jobs and money being tight and my father having his own business to run by himself. 

I would like a little input on the wedsite if you could and I hope I learn a little something form this forum

I also belive that if we could move some of the wood turning community onto myspace and facebook we could get a lot more attention the top two wood turning forum only have about 2000 members between them I find this fact a little sadening as I am just trying to start out in a terrible economy and a government with no money.
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2009 at 10:32pm by AustinKliniske »  

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #9 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 4:40am

Austin,
Welcome to the family.

One thing right off the top I see is you need to add a links area so you can be linked to other turners web sites this gets you more hits due to people clicking on the different links in people's web sites.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #10 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 10:23am

Quote:
Austin,
Welcome to the family.

One thing right off the top I see is you need to add a links area so you can be linked to other turners web sites this gets you more hits due to people clicking on the different links in people's web sites.

and email them to ask if they will provide a link back to you.  most if not all will say yes.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #11 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 5:19pm

Quote:
Austin,
Welcome to the family.

I agree with the welcome, but I respectfully disagree with the links area. Especially if I'm trying to sell my products on a web site, I don't want to send potential customers to other turners' sites. There are better ways to get more hits on your site (such as search engine optimization) than relying on your competition's web traffic.  Wink

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #12 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 7:42pm

Vaughn,
Boy do I feel like a twit I totally forgot he's looking to sell his stuff I thought he just wanted to have more people look at his stuff. Embarrassed

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #13 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 10:49pm

Vaughn McMillan wrote on Jan 15th, 2009 at 5:19pm:
Quote:
Austin,
Welcome to the family.

I agree with the welcome, but I respectfully disagree with the links area. Especially if I'm trying to sell my products on a web site, I don't want to send potential customers to other turners' sites. There are better ways to get more hits on your site (such as search engine optimization) than relying on your competition's web traffic.  Wink

you can have a good links section without sending your customers to others sales sites.  links to tips, tricks, tools can be a major help if someone is deciding to buy from you.  it also rings them back to your site, they remember where that great tip was.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #14 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 8:35pm

Not trying to argue with you Dave  Smiley, but I would think my typical customers don't care about tricks, tips, and tools. I agree that info is great for other turners, but Aaron Artcollector really doesn't care about the details about my vacuum chuck or bowl steady.

That all said, I do have links on my site showing how I make a cutting board, and also how to care for one. (From back in the days when I was making and selling fancy cutting boards.) I've also got a series of pics showing how a root ball was turned into a bowl.

Ohm and Chuck, no need to feel like a twit over this. You've shown much better examples of twitness.  (Can ya feel it? The love?) Grin
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2009 at 8:37pm by Vaughn McMillan »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print