I want one sometime....    
  10 (17.9%)
They are too expensive    
  1 (1.8%)

Total votes: 56
« Created by: JimQuarles on: Jan 10th, 2009 at 1:10am »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Do you have a web site? (Read 4,669 times)

AustinKliniske
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Re: Do you have a web site?
Reply #15 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 9:01pm

Quote:
Vaughn,
Boy do I feel like a twit I totally forgot he's looking to sell his stuff I thought he just wanted to have more people look at his stuff. Embarrassed

haha yeah selling would be the priority but the links should go back and forth to both websites so your potentionally sharing a customer base from the internet I would think. Either way I do agree that it should have links. 

thanks guys now what do you think of the work? the pictures really don't do them justice.

IP Logged

Todd Senterfitt
WR Patron

Reply #16 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 5:44pm

I just put mine up.  I can sell from it but ended up using all my retail stock for gifts  Grin  I think I can do better than Paypal for a CC vendor too.  I still need to do research but am still getting caught up on pieces already promised.  The service I used, InMotion Hosting, had a ton of templates and I don't anything about html so I just used one of those.  I'm fine with the result but would have preferred to customize it more.  I might just in the future but I really wanted to get a site up to refer people to when they wanted to see my work and/or buy a piece.  I see it as a work in progress and will tweak and fix as I learn and find extra time.

The artist formerly known as urobouros

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Jeff McDonald

WR Rocks!

Reply #17 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 11:25am

I have pretty much completed my website.  I used a free HTML editor to write the code (Eversoft First Page), bought the domain and the hosting service (godaddy.com) and learned HTML myself.  I know there are templates available for designing web sites, but I was able to achieve my goals by writing the HTML myself...although it did take a long time and a lot of revisions. Shocked
It is nothing flashy, but it achieves the goal I started out with...which is to have a web site where people can go see what I have done and what I can do for them.  I am not interested in having someone be able to purchase right from the site, I would rather have the web site drive them to email me and then we can start a dialog about what they are interested in- keeping it personal.  I am not in a position to have inventory that I can list for immediate sale which is what I think you need if you are selling directly off of your web site.
Here is the link.  Critiques of the site and the turnings are welcomed!
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Jeff McDonald
IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #18 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 11:39am

Jeff,

I think you have done an excellent job on your site.  It is very impressive - as is your turning.  Just a minor point, you haven't given a price range for bowls.  Is that intentional given the variety of styles and woods?

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Dennis Barley

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #19 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 6:24pm

Hey, Jeff:

I like your site. How long did it take to learn HTML?

I'm in Livermore and also took my first classes from Jim Rodgers at the Dublin Woodcraft. I just joined Bay Area Woodturners. Are you a member?

Dennis

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #20 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 7:47pm

We may soon have some news for those that are interested in getting their own domain name, and developing their own web site.  Keep watching.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Ric Rountree

WR Rocks!

Reply #21 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 9:24pm

JimQuarles wrote on Jan 22nd, 2009 at 7:47pm:
We may soon have some news for those that are interested in getting their own domain name, and developing their own web site.  Keep watching.

JimQ

You have my attention.  I'm certainly interested, and will keep watching.

Ric

Roundwood

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Jeff McDonald

WR Rocks!

Reply #22 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 10:02pm

Brenden,
Thank you for your kind words.  That is exactly why I don't have prices on those kinds of turnings.  I would want to have a perspective client contact me so we can discuss.  I haven't developed a pricing system yet...

Dennis,
Great to hear about more East Bay Turners!!!  I have not joined Bay Area Woodturners yet...do you like it?  We'll have to get together.  To learn HTML I got a book that I would be happy to let you use.  It is older, but still works as HTML hasn't changed only added to.  I built a simple web site for my old company and it took a couple months of 'here and there' work so if you have the time, it can probably go pretty quicker.  The free HTML editor I mentioned has a preview feature that shows you a simulated view of your code so that was cool.  The toughest part was not learning HTML but deciding on the look I wanted based on my novice skills.  It was a fun project and since I wrote the code, I will be able to keep it up to date really quickly.

Jeff

Jeff McDonald
IP Logged

Dennis Barley

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #23 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 12:16am

Jeff:

I've only been to two meetings at BAWA so far. Jim Rodgers demo'd platters at the last meeting. He's the educational coordinator for the club. Seems like a great group. Meets second Saturdays of the month. David Ellsworth is coming in March. Check out the web site.

I have sold turnings at a few shows around town; Harvest Festival, Livermore Artwalk, Christmas in the Vineyards. I have not made the leap to the web yet, but may borrow your book if I can get some extra time.

Let's keep in touch.

Dennis

IP Logged

MIKE Durham
WR Addict

having too much fun turning

North Chesterfield, Virginia, Virginia, USA
North Chesterfield, Virginia
Virginia
USA

Reply #24 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 11:58am

Got the site running now, just have not got anything set up yet. But we are working on it.
Maybe my next weekend I'll have it going I hope so any way.  smiley=lolk.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif
  My son-in-law is helping with it. Well he is doing it to be honest about it.

Thanks Chad  smiley=thumbsup.gif

ex-Bull Durham&&&&give me wood or give me stained glass!&&Mike Durham

IP Logged

Laurence Moughan

WR Rocks!

Dublin,Ireland, Ireland
Dublin,Ireland
Ireland

Reply #25 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 10:35am

Hi Guys,

Ok Blatant bump to include my URL.

This is the brand spanking new site for Craobh Cuíg Déag - The site of the Dublin 15 Chapter of the Irish Woodturning Guild,

Have a look and comment please !!

Still need to add some photos of the meetings, and competition pieces, but its mostly done.

Build with Netobjects Fusion ( free )

Thanks

Loz

Member of "Craobh Cuíg Déag". The Dublin 15 Chapter of the Irish Woodturning Guild.    Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #26 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 6:01pm

Jeff,
I totally agree with the others I love the way your site is set up very easy to navigate. I also like the way you incorporate pics of your shop. Although I would like to see a bit more info on your home page like how you started turning etc... I give it a hearty. 10.

Loz,
So far it looks good. It will be very easy to navigate. Is Brenden a member of your club? I know he's about 15km outside of Dublin.
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2009 at 6:04pm by Chuck Beland »  

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #27 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 6:11pm

Chuck, I'm about 85 miles north of Dublin, I'm about 20 miles from Belfast.

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #28 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 6:15pm

Bre,
Sorry I forgot it was Belfast not Dublin.

Question how do you pronounce the name of the club I don't read Gaelic. Can you spell it phonetically.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #29 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 7:16pm

Chuck,

We both speak Irish with different regional dialects, if I were saying 'craobh cuig deag' I would pronounce it 'crav koo-ig jug'.  It means Branch 15, 'craobh' = branch.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print