I want one sometime....    
  10 (17.9%)
They are too expensive    
  1 (1.8%)

Total votes: 56
« Created by: JimQuarles on: Jan 10th, 2009 at 1:10am »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Do you have a web site? (Read 7,574 times)

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Re: Do you have a web site?
Reply #30 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 7:28pm

Bre,
You weren't kidding when you said that spoken Gaelic is totally different from the written one. I think I sprained my tongue trying to pronounce those words. Grin

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #31 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 7:51pm

Grin

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Laurence Moughan

WR Rocks!

Dublin,Ireland, Ireland
Dublin,Ireland
Ireland

Reply #32 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 4:35am

Brendan McAreavy wrote on Jan 27th, 2009 at 7:16pm:
Chuck,

We both speak Irish with different regional dialects, if I were saying 'craobh cuig deag' I would pronounce it 'crav koo-ig jug'.  It means Branch 15, 'craobh' = branch.

Hi Brendan,

I'm actually English, I just ended up in Dublin somehow, Anyways we pronouce it " cRave koo-ig dayg "

You a IWG member ? I understand there is an Ulster Seminar in June.

Loz
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2009 at 4:35am by Laurence Moughan »  

Member of "Craobh Cuíg Déag". The Dublin 15 Chapter of the Irish Woodturning Guild.    Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #33 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 4:38pm

LOz,

I'm not a member...yet, but I will be before June.  The seminar in is The Armagh City Hotel which is a 30 min drive from me.

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #34 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 8:24pm

I am still working on getting us a deal.  Will provide info when it is available.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Charlie Adams

Another Knot is a another
Golden Opportunity!

Reply #35 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 2:52pm

I am the webmaster (hmmmm) the guy who keeps the site updated for two clubs.

Cumberland Woodturners          Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Fairfield Glade Bass Club          Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Since I cant get in the shop much anymore I spend alot of time working on these two sites.
Would like a refference to a good fourm for developing websites.

Charlie Adams

yorksub  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Laurence Moughan

WR Rocks!

Dublin,Ireland, Ireland
Dublin,Ireland
Ireland

Reply #36 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 8:41am

Nice Sites Charlie,

I like the idea of the newsticker on the top of the turning site

Member of "Craobh Cuíg Déag". The Dublin 15 Chapter of the Irish Woodturning Guild.    Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ken Grunke

I finally got around to
it!

SW Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
SW Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #37 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 12:54am

It's probably good for a turner to have two sites. One for the desired customers, the collectors.
The other for your peers. Keep them seperate, the collector/customer site should be clean and slick, and simple. A site can be clean, simple, no frills and still look high-class. It's a matter of choosing the right color combos, the right fonts, and layout. Do some reading on site design. A good place is  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

You can look at the source of any site and "borrow" the HTML code, changing colors and layout to suite your own needs. Make sure to find out the name of the CSS stylesheet, it's listed in the HTML source's header and is usually named "style.css". It's usually in the same level as the html document, but not always. Anyone is free to take the source from my website and copy it, just change it to your own style:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If you don't take the style sheet as well, the site won't have any style. It will just be plain HTML, inline, with no formatting. That's the way most websites are these days.

Your peer site can be just a blog, on blogspot.com --Google offers these free of charge. You don't need any website design experience for this, they come with a choice of many templates and most of them look pretty darn good. Just upload a picture, and a description whenever you feel inspired, to tell about a new shop experience or whatever. Here's mine,  basically just an experiment to see what I can do:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

You can tell a story, of, for example, a series of steps on how to do something. That is where a blog format really shines.

Home Page: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners of SW Wisconsin - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Ken Grunke  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #38 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 2:56am

Ken beat me to it, but I'll just say that I opened a blogspot site tonight.  You can find it at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.  Take a look and see what you think.  I only have an introduction and an article on turning a bowl with no chuck.  Just a start, but it is kind of fun.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #39 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 9:24am

"Borrowing" the code is not really good a solution.

If the website is using PHP, the HTML code is generated each time a requested is made to view that page. So what you get when you "borrow" the code is not always going to work the way you expect.

Case in point, someone was trying to "borrow" our marque (the text that fades in and out above the messages forums) he couldn't get it to work because he needed other files that where included in the software package.

Another thing that happens is when someone "borrows" code from another website is there is a chance that they will be leeching bandwidth (not to be confused with linking). What that means is the “borrowed” code is looking for another file or files on the original website to run.

With so much open source software (free) on the internet there isn’t really a need to “borrow” code.

IP Logged

Ken Grunke

I finally got around to
it!

SW Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #40 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 12:18pm

Ron, I don't mean copy my source word for word, but use the basic design. My site is basically just a 3-column box container with a border, a background behind the box, a banner/logo in the box at the top, and a menu list. I do use PHP for the ShopNotes page, so of course that wouldn't work for someone else's site. I use a php program called CuteNews, a great little bundle of scripts used to insert content into a webpage where ever you desire.

And I use a javascript program for the Gallery, called Lightbox, which is basically the same as what WoodCentral uses for images that everyone posts in messages. I have been using that for a couple years now.

I get a lot of website building ideas from looking at other sites, and "borrowing" bits and pieces here and there. Anyone is free to look at my site and do the same, I would hope that they know enough to change it to suite their own purpose without sucking up any of my resources.

Doug, your new blog looks great, keep it going!  

Home Page: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners of SW Wisconsin - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Ken Grunke  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #41 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 12:48pm

Sorry if I misunderstood Ken.
I have had a few websites that where leeching bandwidth from us lately. I had to block their IP address. I guess I'm a little sensitive.

But you are right, looking at other website is the way to go for ideas.

On my personal website, I use a program called Gallery for my gallery. With the exception of 3 pages, my whole site is Gallery. Two other free gallery programs are, Coppermine Photo Gallery, 4Images Gallery.

Some free blog software is b2evolution, Nucleus and the popular WordPress.

Google any of these and you will find the free downloads

IP Logged

Ken Grunke

I finally got around to
it!

SW Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #42 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 1:26pm

No problem, Ron Smiley Cheesy

Gallery is a good one, I've been using it for our turning club site since 2002. I used it on my personal site for a while, but wanted to find something with a more personalized look so ended up with Lightbox.

I think Web Album Generator is a pretty good one, which you have recommended in another thread, if you aren't able to install PHP and CGI scripts on your site. You can build the rest of your site around the template that you choose, just use the style sheet. Still it takes some familiarity with HTML, or possibly you can plug the style sheet and html documents into a WYSIWYG editor such as NVU.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2009 at 1:28pm by Ken Grunke »  

WWW Ken Grunke  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #43 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 2:00pm

Hi, Doug:
Tried to leave a comment on your blog but it wanted me to select a profile to leave a message?  Anyway, the blog looks great!  You might want to make some changes to your picture files though.  When I clicked on Pic#009 for a closer look the new image took quite a while to load even on a cable connection and then required me to scroll side to side and up and down in order to see it all.  Since it was blown up so big it was pretty blurry so I really didn't gain anything by clicking on the thumbnail.  If you change your source pic files to a maximum size of 800x600 or 640x480 they should work better.

Good Luck!
Bob

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #44 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 2:50pm

Thanks Bob, I was wondering about that.  They look terrible on my computer screen too, but looked ok in the blog.  I don't guess I even knew you could click on them to get them larger.  I'll go resize and exchange them.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print