Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
market ideas (Read 2,612 times)

Junior Adams

market ideas
Jan 16th, 2009 at 10:37pm

i figured this would be a good place to talk about possible markets for turnings.

Leo is selling mag. glasses to a map shop, wich is pretty slick, so what other "markets" could we hit?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Dennis Barley

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: market ideas
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 9:40am

A little obvious, but in my area we have about 40 wineries. Many of them have wine related items for sale in their tasting rooms. I'm thinking about customizing some bottle stoppers with the winery logo imbedded in the top to sell on consignment in the tasting rooms. All I have to do is figure out how to do it!

Dennis

IP Logged

Jeff McDonald

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 12:45pm

Dennis,
I am with you.  I have lots of wineries near me as well.  One idea I had is to go get their old oak wine barrels and cut them up and laminate layers together to make stoppers.  Then you can have a wine stopper out of actual wine barrels from the winery.  It makes for a good story and people want to buy a story!
I tried this with a couple stave's from an old oak wine barrel and it worked out pretty well.  The wine bleeds into the oak leaving a cool coloring to the oak and it smells FANTASTIC when cutting and turning!!!
Here is a pic of one...
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Jeff

Jeff McDonald
IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 2:15pm

great idea Jeff smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Junior Adams

Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 1:33pm

i also have wineries nearby that i need to go talk to.. and the idea with the staves is an excellent idea!!

Local car clubs could be another avenue for money. Alot of show cars (lowriders to old school stock) have wood grain dashboards, and steering wheels and such... i can think of about 100 things that could be replaced with something off the lathe just sitting here, from doorlock knobs to headlight bezels, gearshift knobs... Motorcycle hand grips, footpegs, shifter lever covers... the list goes on and on...

High end pens for local sporting teams. With the creation of the OKC THUNDER (YEAY!!) it gave me the idea of selling pens for contract signings and such. I mean who wants to sign a multi million dollar contract with a 10 cent pen???

fishing lures at your local bait shops... Living on a lake, i have considered this several times. And i think i am going to buy one of those kits to give it a go. If i like it, i think i can get the stuff to do it without the little kit so my overhead will be a little lower.

some of the little vanity kits could be sold at cosmetic shops and such. in fact, alot of what we do could be marketed toward women specificaly (sp).

the bullet pens and antler pens could be pushed at local gunshows, and gun and hunting clubs.

IP Logged

Eric Geist

Here's my wallet- show
me the wood

Loveland, Colorado, USA
Loveland
Colorado
USA

Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 9:42pm

local book stores and stationary (hallmark) stores might be good locations for pens, letter openers, bookmarks, mag glasses.

Loveland, CO

IP Logged

Glyn Buckley
WR Addict

WR, the Center of the
Vortex

Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 5:34pm

Well, I have been selling pens (Euro's) to the bowlers at the bowling alley. All custom pens made from their favorite bowling balls. Kind of a niche market, but I have had five new requests this month. As I have mentioned in another post I do not try to sell my work, they keep approaching me. I think other small items (bottle openers, key chains, etc.) made from the damaged balls would also sell well. Makes me wonder what would happen if I like tried?, flyers at other alleys, etc..

Learn something new every day.
Glyn (formerly Swashbuckley)
Waxahachie, Texas

IP Logged

Dennis Barley

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 9:52pm

OK, Glyn, I gotta ask. How in the heck do you turn a pen out of a bowling ball? What's it made of, urethane? Do you slice it on a bandsaw? Scary thought. I have a couple of unused bowling balls laying around somewhere, but never thought about turning them into something else. That's why this forum is so great.

Dennis

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #8 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 4:50am

Dennis,
I remember someone posted a tutorial on how they did it. They used a cradle on the BS & cut it in half. I forgot the rest.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #9 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 11:30pm

This was to good, I was afraid the bowling ball tip might get lost, so I moved it to Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2009 at 10:47am by Ron Sardo »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Dale Gillaspy
WR Supporter

Turning Designer Firewood

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #10 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 3:33pm

I hate when I do this, but I'm going to do it anyway. If it their favorite bowling ball, wouldn't cuttingit up to make a pen out of it make it a little hard to bowl with? At best, I would think it would make it wobble quite a bit going down the alley.

WWW Dale Gillaspy gd5043  
IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #11 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 4:27pm

bowling balls are like tools to us.  we start with a certain gouge, learn to use, grow to love it.  yet something better comes along and we give it a try, and in the end, it replaces the favorite.  but for sentimental reasons, we keep the "favorite" gouge.  same with bowlers.  i love the pen idea.  rather then keep the "favorite" ball in a closet, have it made into something that you will use daily and remind you of the great times you had.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #12 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 10:32pm

I've got one that hasn't seen an alley since I had the 2 middle fingers on my right hand reattached 12 years ago.  I guess I'll try it after tax season.  Gotta get a hole saw first.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Glyn Buckley
WR Addict

WR, the Center of the
Vortex

Reply #13 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 3:59pm

Quote:
I hate when I do this, but I'm going to do it anyway. If it their favorite bowling ball, wouldn't cuttingit up to make a pen out of it make it a little hard to bowl with? At best, I would think it would make it wobble quite a bit going down the alley.

Most of the 'Favorite' balls I have gotten have been cracked or otherwise damaged and no longer useful. But the one I made for myself now allows me to get the score I wanted since I am keeping score with it. Roll Eyes My average went up 30 points. Grin Grin

Waxahachie, Texas

IP Logged

Glyn Buckley
WR Addict

WR, the Center of the
Vortex

Reply #14 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 2:23pm

UPDATE********
Last night I recieved orders for 2 more pens, I have lost count at this point. Then the alley manager asked me if I would consider selling the pens through the Pro Shop. The Owner had seen one of my pens being used by the manager and asked about it. We are discussing the details as I consider this endeaver, this has larger potential as the Owner has alleys across several states. This has been quite a surprise as I have mentioned earlier in this thread I do not try to sell my turnings, word of mouth has the bowlers approaching me for pens.

Any thoughts on how to approach this? A display of about ten pens? Brochures?

Waxahachie, Texas

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print