washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: market ideas
Reply #15 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 2:27pm

The first thing he is going to ask you is a discount on quantity.

Consider the fact that you still make pens one at a time and price accordingly.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Tom Davis
WR Addict

I get jokes

Reply #16 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 6:21pm

One thing I would ask you Glyn is do you want to make this a full time job or a hobby? Don't know your personal situation but I would think that it would soon be a full time job and then how long would you enjoy it.

LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY, WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING
WOW WHAT A RIDE

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #17 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 7:34pm

Tom Davis wrote on Mar 19th, 2009 at 6:21pm:
One thing I would ask you Glyn is do you want to make this a full time job or a hobby? Don't know your personal situation but I would think that it would soon be a full time job and then how long would you enjoy it.

Tom,
Very true I want to turn what I like not what I HAVE TO. then it's just another job & not a hobby.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Glyn Buckley
WR Addict

WR, the Center of the
Vortex

Reply #18 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 8:45pm

Thanks Guys, I knew y'all would get to the point.

Both excellent points.

Pricing vs. volume vs. production is a key factor. Especially if it grows.

Is this what I want to do? Especially since I have not actively persued this path. A part of me is flattered to be asked.

You guys have helped a lot. I will have to think on this one for the next few days.

Glyn

Learn something new every day.
Glyn (formerly Swashbuckley)
Waxahachie, Texas

IP Logged

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #19 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 10:43pm

Glyn Buckley wrote on Mar 19th, 2009 at 8:45pm:
I will have to think on this one for the next few days.

I have a couple items that I turn out fairly fast and do several of them every day, enjoying each and everyone of them. YET, when someone orders several of them that I have to make or of a certain style... It suddenly becomes not so much fun! It does not matter that I make them everyday anyway.. someone else is telling me what I have to do.
And this is how I make my living... LOL heck of an attitude huh? But, filling orders is a fact of life when you have a business even a very small one. So, you really do need to do the soul searching and be honest with your self on if you can do it when you have to and will you be happy doing it.

And yep even the guy who only wants 2 or 3 will be tring to get you to wholesale to them... same time, less money. but at times it is worth it... like if the person will commit (in writing) to a large volume order(s). But, you may hate it and life when you do get the big orders. (receive a 3000 piece order once, nobody wanted to be anywhere near me for a long time)

Brad

IP Logged

Glyn Buckley
WR Addict

WR, the Center of the
Vortex

Reply #20 - Mar 20th, 2009 at 1:21pm

Excellent points Brad, and I understand what you mean about 'filling an order'. It is different. So far I have been making the pens for friends and aquaintenances(?).  How would I feel with a complaint from an unknown customer? Its going to happen, just like the massive order (3000 wow!). I just realized that since Jan I have not turned anything but pens........soul searching time.

I don't turn for income, I respect those of you that do. Since I have turned I have listened, watched and encouraged those that do. This has caught me off gaurd.

Back to the original topic though, I was sharing this original idea (Bowling Ball Pens) with you guys so that those of you who turn for profit could take advantage of this niche in your area. ( I was not expecting it to blossom on me) I really think those of you who turn a lot of pens (JimQ, etc.) should look into this at your local lane/pro shop. Since the original post and Techniques post I have greatly improved the process and would be happy to share that with anyone who wants to persue it. I have followed those on the IAP site that turn BB pens and they are still doing it the hard way. None of them have approached it from the bowlers favorite ball point (keepsake) of view. I will ponder my own situation till Sat when I deliver the next pens.

I really appreciate all the comments guys.

Waxahachie, Texas

IP Logged

Tom Davis
WR Addict

I get jokes

Reply #21 - Mar 20th, 2009 at 6:50pm

Glyn my reply and question was not meant to discourage you just one little thing to ponder. If you decide to go with it I hope it is a great success. If I had not followed my dream I would not be retired now.

LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY, WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING
WOW WHAT A RIDE

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #22 - Mar 20th, 2009 at 7:28pm

Hey same here... don't want to turn you away from it, just want you to do so with open eyes if you do it.
With all the announances, I would still rather walk through the 11 hells then punch someone else time clock again.
Best of luck no matter which way you go.

Brad

IP Logged

Glyn Buckley
WR Addict

WR, the Center of the
Vortex

Reply #23 - Mar 20th, 2009 at 9:07pm

No discouragement taken guys. I am currently medically retired. So nothing large scale is in the future, also don't 'need' the money. As the LOML pointed out "If you enjoy it then O.K., but would you rather be turning something else?". She is in line with you guys as being cautious.

Honest comments is what I wanted and what I got. Which is why this group is so good.

Waxahachie, Texas

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print