Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
small collet help needed (Read 787 times)

john black

WR Rocks!

small collet help needed
Jan 19th, 2009 at 4:47pm

making game calls and want to use a beall type collet chuck 1 x 1/4  for a 5/8 mandrel but day-um they are high $$ wise. i can replace the jaws on my vic marc w/the pin jaw set but hate to keep switching back and forth. any other suggestions? thanks  john

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Re: small collet help needed
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 8:22pm

NW,
This place has some at a decent price check it out.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

john black

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 10:37pm

thanks  i'll check it out!

IP Logged

john black

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 1:40am

or.........how about this? using a  drill bit chuck with a #2 MT dead taper? i already use one for boring on the lathe, why not just chuck it up in the headstock and use it to hold the mandrel?

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 2:00am

It will work if it has a drawbar to hold it in the MT2.  Anything attached to the drive spindle has to be anchored, whether by threads on the outside like a chuck, by a threaded drawbar on the inside, or by the tail stock! 

I don't know about you, but I don't want a spinning piece of metal coming off the spindle at me.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

john black

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 2:08am

yea, that makes sense. bang head    maybe i'll weld it to the taper. what about that?

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 4:05am

I would try to find a drill chuck that has threads inside for a 1/4 x 20tpi for a drawbar like Jim said. Even if you weld it there is nothing holding it inside of the MT but pressure one slip with your tool & you could pull it out & you can't duck fast enough not to get hit by it.
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2009 at 4:06am by Chuck Beland »  

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 4:12am

john black wrote on Jan 20th, 2009 at 2:08am:
yea, that makes sense. bang head    maybe i'll weld it to the taper. what about that?

I don't think it's the "chuck to taper" connection you need to worry about...it's the "taper to spindle" connection where the taper sticks into the spindle. I don't think you want to weld anything onto your spindle. As Jim was saying, you should have a bolt running through the spindle, threaded into the end of the taper (a.k.a. a drawbar).

IP Logged

john black

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 7:36am

ok...on to plan B, whatever that is. probably just live w/changing out jaws on the chuck for now.   thanks  guys!

IP Logged

jacen68

Relax and have fun

Reply #9 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 12:25am

Here's something i've been wanting to try, Penn state industries has a collet pack for 89.95 don't need a draw bar. 

Take care and have fun, &&Jason
jacen68 jacen68  
IP Logged

John West

WR Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 5:36pm

I made a home made collet chuck with a tapered piece of hardwood and some PVC fittings.  I think I posted a picture in the gallery awhile ago.  Having said that, if I were to do it again, I would simply use my beal tap to make a wooden chuck.  Then I would glue a block to the chuck and turn it to size, drill a hole a bit smaller than the size of stock you want to hold.  Then cut an x pattern in the glue block and clamp your stock in it with a hose clamp. 

I hope that makes some sense.

IP Logged

john black

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 7:16am

cool. thanks!

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #12 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 11:08am

I have had the PSI collet chuck for over a year and it works great. I think it's a (must have) tool if you do any amount of small turnings.

IP Logged

Jim Sebring

Reply #13 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 12:07am

Our friends at Harbor Freight offer a 1/2 inch-capacity Jacobs chuck with an attached MT2 shaft. I drilled and tapped mine (using the three tap 1/4 X 20 set from Grizzley) to accept a drawbar made from 1/4 X20 all thread. It works very well in either the head or tailstock of my Nova DVR lathe. I use it often in the tailstock to hold a drill bit. The drawbar allows me to easily withdraw the bit to clear chips without having the chuck dislodge from the tailstock. BTW - the chuck cost $10 on sale.

N7BLW

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print