Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
what sells best? (Read 2,490 times)

Junior Adams

what sells best?
Jan 20th, 2009 at 1:40pm

Just out of curiosity, from you guys that sell your goods.. what sells best? and what is the item that brings the biggest profit? I would assume that would be something that doesn't require any prior investment (no kit in other words)... something that is just a hunk of wood? hollow forms maybe?

My concern is this: i am going to sell at my first craft show soon. It is going to be a fairly small craft show i think, it is hosted by a local church and i need to have a good turn out. I don't want to show up with a bunch of exotic burl bowls and not sell anything because my prices are too high, buti don't wanna show up with a bunch of pens, and hear "I wish you had a bowl or hollow form" you know?

I guess i should take a little bit of everything... jeesh i am nervous... i never actually thought i would be doing this. I mean everyone tells me i should be more proactive in getting my stuff out there but i always thought they were just being nice. I sure hope the public likes my stuff as much as my friends and family!

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Tom Davis
WR Addict

I get jokes

Re: what sells best?
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 2:07pm

JR it is kind of tough to answer your question. My thoughts are to have a little of everything like you said. I found out on my first craft fair that most people didn't really know what they were looking at. Some would say nice wooden bowl. What can I use it for? Next one would pick up a bottle stopper and say what is this for? Almost none of them had any idea what kind of wood I had used and when they read the type of wood on the bottom of a bowl it didn't mean anything to them. I posted last year some bowls that I had turned out of glue lam and I thought that they were truly junk, my wife said lets take one to the show and see what happens. I sold it and had to go home and get the five others that I had and bring them back for the same customer. So I guess there is no telling what you can sell, just go and enjoy. I think that the first one is always going to be a nerve racking experience but you should get over that soon enough. Don't forget to enjoy yourself and have some fun while you are there.

LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY, WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING
WOW WHAT A RIDE

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 2:32pm

Junior, I think a lot of it has to do with your location, and the specific show you're selling at. At the shows I've done, I've noticed that the guys who are selling at shows for their sole income are selling the products in the lower price ranges (pens, bottle stoppers, weed pots, and other similar pieces in the $20 to $70 range) instead of the higher-price "art" pieces like fancy bowls or hollow forms. They usually have a few art pieces displayed, too, but the smaller stuff is their bread and butter.

Since I'm not relying on the shows for my income, I concentrate on selling the stuff I like to turn...bowls and hollow forms in the $70 to $300 range. I still keep a few pens and bottle stoppers in the booth, but I don't sell many of them. I don't sell a lot of the bowls and hollow forms either, but as long as I sell a few, I make back my entry money, and I'm happy.

And Tom's observations about people not really knowing what they are looking at are spot on. I always get folks (ladies, usually) looking at hollow forms and asking what they are used for.
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2009 at 2:34pm by Vaughn McMillan »  
IP Logged

Bill Bolen
WR Supporter

Missouri turner

Eureka, Missouri, USA
Eureka
Missouri
USA

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 2:36pm

I've gotta agree with Tom. At the shop selling my stuff my conventional bowls do not sell well(another turner there with burl bowls). But the natural edge bowls go out the door as fast as I can bring them in. Pens seemed to do well around Christmas but not so well now. My HF's, especially the vases go well but  the elevated and flying saucer style are still sitting there. The store owner says people don't know what they are for and they do not put them in the "art" catagory. Guess it all depends what that particular crown is interested in. So, a little bit of everything you turn is probably the only way...Bill...

2Ljunkie

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 3:08pm

A lot will depend on the income level of the area.  On the west side of Phoenix, I would be unable to sell bottle stoppers because it is a beer drinking area.  But on the NE side, bottle stoppers sell well as it is an upscale area.  I sell pens all over, but generally the lower priced ones.  But I sell the occassional high dollar pen so I have to have a full line.  Most of the demand for pens has been the Acrylics in the slimline, and wood in the Euro/designer.  Because of the extra work, I charge extra for acrylic, and I charge extra for any pen that has a blank that cost $1 or more.  Don't price all the pen styles the same, charge a little extra for Euros etc.  In this area, I start with basic wood slimlines at $35 and go up from there.  I sold a Desert Ironwood/Turquoise Cigar for $80.  In other areas, my prices would be too high.  But during Nov & Dec I sold $1700 worth of pens, pencils, letter openers, and key rings at one retirement community.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 6:15pm

Tom Davis wrote on Jan 20th, 2009 at 2:07pm:
... Don't forget to enjoy yourself and have some fun while you are there.

and try not to spend all the money you make will you are there. Wink Wink

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Todd Senterfitt
WR Patron

Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 6:55pm

Ditto to what the others have said about knowing your crowd and I couldn't agree more with having a bit of everything.  You never know until you get there so just have fun!  The best thing I get out of any show is the drive to finish more stuff   smiley=thumbsup.gif

The artist formerly known as urobouros

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 9:47pm

From what you have said about the type of fair you are doing my guess is that low end items will do well.  Pens, key rings, letter openers etc, that sort of thing should do well as long as the price is not to high.  It has been my experience that these small "church" type fairs usually end up being no more than high end flea markets, they usually do not jury their entrants and as a result you get a lot of what we refer to as resellers who buy stuff at ridiculously low prices and resell it trying to pass it off as hand made (probably was by some slave shop in the Philipines) in which case the customers are only looking for a good deal.  
 Once I made a lot of little round disks about 1" round and 1/4" thick burned the word TUIT into it and sold round tuits for $1.00, should have made a hell of a lot more of them.  You might also think about the the wood bracelets we all got into at one time, they sell pretty good if not too high priced, you can use scrap wood and they are easy to do.  
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2009 at 9:48pm by Philip Peak »  

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Dennis Barley

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 10:48pm

JR:

One of my best sellers has been toothpick holder/dispensers that I found out about on this forum, thanks to Stu in Tokyo. They are pretty simple to make and you can turn a lot of different designs. Here's a link to the Wood magazine video:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Junior Adams

Reply #9 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 1:35am

Dennis. the link didnt work... and i am on dial up so i couldnt really watch vids.. but i am super interested in the toothpick thingy.. can you help me with some pics of a finished one, or maybe PM me a quick rundown of how to or whatever i need?? thanks man!!

IP Logged

Junior Adams

Reply #10 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 3:18am

oh yeah, i should ad, this is a pretty upscale neighborhood. it is one of the few areas nice enough to house a large portion of our new NBA team.

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #11 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 4:28am

Jr,
Here is a link to Stu's you tube video he did on making the tooth pick holders.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Dennis Barley

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 10:35am

Chuck:

Thanks for posting the link to Stu's video.

JR: If you search around at Wood magazine's website you should be able to locate their video, although may not work on dial-up. I figured out how to make the toothpick holders from Stu's video before I found the Wood mag video. They are pretty simple to make, although as with anything in "production" mode, they get a little boring after the first dozen or so.

Let me know if you aren't able to view the vids, and I'll try to put together a step-by-step.

Dennis

IP Logged

Junior Adams

Reply #13 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 12:26pm

thanks guys....

i am gonna try to download the youtube video. sometimes i can get them to load, it just takes a REALLY long time... depends on how long the vid is really...

hey Dennis, you wanna do a step by step for it?? we could ad it to the projects part of the site maybe??

i know i would definately appreciate it!

IP Logged

Junior Adams

Reply #14 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 12:29pm

oh man... 6 minute video... i dunno if i am gonna be able to get that one... i will try....

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print