WR Supporter

Turning Designer Firewood

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Display tent
Jan 25th, 2009 at 3:37pm

I am going to do my first show either in March or April, and I have to provide my own 10x10 display canopy. I don't want the cheapest thing that will fall apart in a weekend, but I don't want to break the bank, either. Both Costco and Cabela's have display tents for right around $250. They have full sides, and a commercial grade nylon canopy. Anything cheaper than I can find is just really cheap stuff made for a weekend picnic.

Any suggestions?

Dale...

WWW Dale Gillaspy gd5043  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Re: Display tent
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 4:23pm

go with a good one.  it may cost now, but with a few shows, it will pay for itself.  you are right to stay away from cheep.  low quality materials is why they are cheep.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Ken W
Ex Member

I Love WR

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 5:56pm

I think this was brought up before and I suggested Quest one from Dicks sporting goods and just because it wasn't a high dollar canopy,some assumed it was cheap made and that couldn't be farther from the truth.I have it an know of several folks at the show I attend in NC that have them and they love it,it's easy to set up and very well made.You can get a 12 x 12 for less than a hundred bucks and the curtains,if you want them, are about 30 bucks ea.and the 10 x 10 would be even cheaper.I'v put up a lot of tents and canopies and these are not cheap made.

IP Logged

Anthony Yakonick

Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 9:18pm

I've seen many "EZups" blow down in the wind and come down due to rain puddles, so be careful. With the best canopy's going about $1000, 250 is in the low end. I have a Finale made by Light Dome and have gone thru many a storm.

If it don't hold soup, it's art!!

IP Logged

Ken W
Ex Member

I Love WR

Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 9:50pm

The reason that I mention this canopy is that a lot of folks don't do this for a living and just can't afford  to spend two hundred bucks an up for a canopy,and the 2nd reason is I believe this a good durable piece of equipment that will give folks a lot of good service,or I wouldn't recommend it.Also just in case some thinks that I get anything out of this,the answer is NO.Just trying to help folks out an save a few bucks in the process.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 10:34pm

I Paid 295.00 A couple years ago for my EZ-UP from Sams club and even though the case is ripping, the canapy itself is still doing fine.  I would go  with it until you decide if you think you want to invest a whole lot of money into this aspect of selling stuff.   The EZ-up should last you a good while if you take care of it.
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2009 at 10:34pm by Philip Peak »  

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 10:50pm

Ditto Phillip's choice.  It's a great canopy and is easy to install.  I bought mine from Sam's also and sprayed it with silicone when I first put it up.  It's now 5 years old and not showing any signs of age.  Watch out for the 12'x12's.  Most shows only give you a 10'x10' area and you can't encroach on your neighbors.

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Ken W
Ex Member

I Love WR

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 10:59pm

I pd less than 125.00 for the quest 12 x 12  at dicks sporting goods with both curtains and I have had it over two yrs and it is still as good as new.takes about 10 min to put up.Now QUESTION why does everyone think that you have to pay a lot of money to get a good product?just wondering.Not sayin no more  smiley=shake head.gif

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #8 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 12:14am

Quote:
I pd less than 125.00 for the quest 12 x 12  at dicks sporting goods with both curtains and I have had it over two yrs and it is still as good as new.takes about 10 min to put up.Now QUESTION why does everyone think that you have to pay a lot of money to get a good product?just wondering.Not sayin no more  smiley=shake head.gif

in general, you get what you pay for.   every now and then, you will find a diamond out of the coal or coal out of the diamonds.  as you have stated, not all expensive are good.  and i do consider all recommendations from everyone here.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 12:31am

Leo makes a good point, I have yet to go to a show that gave you a 12 x 12 space, I know they are out there it is just that I have never been to one.  And like he says don't ever encroach on your neighbors space, some of them get real nasty if you do.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Ken W
Ex Member

I Love WR

Reply #10 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 7:26am

Philip Peak wrote on Jan 26th, 2009 at 12:31am:
Leo makes a good point, I have yet to go to a show that gave you a 12 x 12 space, I know they are out there it is just that I have never been to one.  And like he says don't ever encroach on your neighbors space, some of them get real nasty if you do.

Your right Phil,I got the 12 x 12 because we have a 12ft space at WCU in NC,but that is rare.There have been a few shows that I would have liked to attend,but there spaces were to small.I am thinking about getting a 10 x 10 this yr so I can attend some other shows with smaller spaces and yes,I am getting another quest  Grin

IP Logged

Eric Geist

Here's my wallet- show
me the wood

Loveland, Colorado, USA
Loveland
Colorado
USA

Reply #11 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 10:27pm

Dale, one thing you should probably consider, is how likely are you to attend more shows? If this is going to be a  once a year, or even twice a year event for you, it MIGHT be more cost effective to rent a canopy from a party rental place- This will ensure good quality, without the large outset of cash.

Loveland, CO

IP Logged

Anthony Yakonick

Reply #12 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 9:01pm

Anyone can buy what they want, no prob. I anyone buys an EZ UP you have to find the Hula Hoop trick to keep the rain from puddling, there are a ton of crafters that know about it, 4 hoops in the corners or something like that. Also, get a white top, other colors (edited out) up light and change the colors of your work. Learn to anchor them correctly, weights or stakes don't cut it, screw in dog "tie outs" and cargo straps are the way to go, if your booth blows into someone booth, you're on the hook.
In the photo below the booth next to mine was near collapse due to rain puddling on Sunday morning, the girl who owned the booth was worried about it Saturday night. I tied it down on Saturday to keep it out of mine.
Folks, I've been doing outdoor shows since 92, I've seen the best and the worse, just trying to give the best advice I can.

If it don't hold soup, it's art!!

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #13 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 11:40pm

Anthony, I'm not sure I'm seeing the detail in the pic that you mentioned.  Can you 'splain it to me?
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #14 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 12:00am

Anthony, any suggestions for holding down a canopy set up on asphalt or a concrete sidewalk? I have about 130 pound of weight (concrete-filled PVC pipe) that I anchor from the top of the legs, but do you have any other recommendations?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print