Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
a few show thoughts (Read 4,339 times)

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

a few show thoughts
Feb 7th, 2009 at 10:39am

I don't know if this will be of interest to anyone or not, but felt it wasn't a bad idea to post it anyway.
This is my experience of doing shows and it might give some of the people who are new at shows an idea or two.
I am not claiming to be an expert or that anyone even has to pay it any attention, it is just what worked for me.

First off, I always kept in mind that when I am at a show I am asking people to give me their money. There is nothing in my booth they have to have and they really don't care how much work or time I put into an item.
Many times it is personality that sell the item.
I like people and enjoy talking, so it is ok if we talk about fishing or anything, it is not always push to buy. Of course you have to balance that with practicality. Don't ignore other people to be a good old boy with one person.
Be genuine with people, don't do the fake smile and it is a kiss of death to talk down to a customer. (I have honestly seen customers put a high dollar item down and the money back in their pocket because the vendor took a superior attitude) In the same bend if you act like you don't have time to deal with them they will feel like they don't have time to give you money.

When at a show I try to treat every single person who comes to my booth like they are very important to me.. and they are.. I want their money.
But, I am not subserviant to them, I treat them like a friend. I know everyone is going of course, your not telliing us anything. Then why do so many vendors have a problem in this area?

I set up a bunch of small items $5-$10 range,  then mid price range up to about $50 and only set up a few higher dollar items, even if I have cases of them in the truck. Now what I feel is a very important part of the set up... I walk up as a customer and pay attention what my eyes are naturally drawn to. Where does the eye go from there? Is there a flow? Do your eyes get captured by some interesting items, do they lead to a bigger priced item? If you didn't know everything there, would it draw you into your booth? Often times it only takes moving one or two items to draw people in, which is half the battle to get into their pocket.

Pay close attention to how people react to your booth, what they look at first etc. That simple thing of noticing what people were doing made me a bunch of money more then once. While setting up outside (which was the majority of my set ups) I noticed a lot of people would look in but not come in. I rearranged my display many times with little effect.  When I saw a tall man stoop just a bit to look in.... I had 6' side walls , I ordered up 7' side walls and my business more then doubled. Even the shorter people didn't like the closed in feeling the 6" walls had Even though the peak was close to 10' high . The items didn't change, it was intirely the entrance height of my tent.

Anyway, I really don't know if this will help anyone, but I hope it does. A lot of the times doing shows is so much more then what you have on the table.

Brad

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: a few show thoughts
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 10:52am

Good Advice Brad

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 10:55am

Brad, I think you will help a whole lot of people because that information is exactly the type of stuff we need to know because we are learning from real experience.

Thanks for all that typing, I don't do shows but if I ever do I am better prepared.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2009 at 10:55am by Brendan McAreavy »  

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 1:21pm

Just read a post by Mike B in a different thread and it brought of stuff up that should also be concidered.
Don't PO the guy next to you! Sometimes it can't be helped, but you should minimize it as much as you can. Because they can hurt your sales when they start talking to the customers and other vendors. And they will talk!
Keep in mind if  you are the new guy at the show or just starting to go to shows, many of the vendors know each other from other shows. Most compare scheduals, which can be a good thing. Getting to know the right guy can put you in a little gold mind (I think we all have one or two shows we keep to our self and our friends where the money flows.) Don't do any serious brown nosing, just don't go out of your way to up set them. They can be a serious sourse of info and income. I always found it best to be neutral in the little dramas and bickering (some times that is hard to do), listen and just be an open nice guy. You might find your self at that 6-10 vendor show with 1000 people wanting to spend money. And those shows are out there!

Common things to watch for (most pertain to outside shows):

Avoid repettative noise
Loud noise
Keep your trash picked up and out of sight
Put BIG flags on your guide lines (people are going to still trip over them, but not as many)
Talk to the guy next door befor you stake at his side wall. (even if it is in your space.)
(many times vendors will agree to stake close together and put a chair or something infront of  the space between them. It solves problems with each other and customers and gives each a little extra space on the other side.
If you are going to pull your front sidewall up as an awning, set your tent back so the awning when up lines up with the trade row. (this is how I set up) Even though you can get away with the awning sticking out a bit, it will PO the guy next to you, because it kind of bottle necks the customers at your booth. (trust me some guy will be out there measuring to be sure you aren't 2" farther out then him.)
In the same bend if you set back too far, the customers can and will skip past you.

If you set up with people who trade under canvas, offer to help with the heavey lifting, poles etc. But, let them handle their own canvas. This is real important. Everyone folds thier canvas their own way, and you stepping in thinking you are helping is probably upsetting them and messing up thier system.

Anyway, a few more things for thought.

Brad

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 5:14pm

When you go to buy your canopy tent, consider one with sides, even if you don't need them, its nice to know you have them if ever needed. Instead of tie downs, I use 4 - 4" X 18" white PVC with a cap on both ends, drilled one end to accolade a 1/2" X 4" I-bolt, make sure you put a nut and washer on the end of your I-bolt, this keep it from pulling out when you pour in your quikrete. Fill it with quikrete, glue the caps on with pvc glue and their ya have it... I also use nylon rope to attach each weight to the corners of each pole and I use S hooks as my attachment hooks.

Wizzy

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 10:05pm

I've had much of the same experience you describe, Brad. Your comments about being friendly, but not too pushy are right on. Also, the friendships and connections you can make through the other vendors a large part of the appeal for doing shows, at least for LOML and me. It pays to be a good neighbor, and to form your alliances carefully, and as neutrally as possible.

Great advice.  smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 12:52am

The PVC doesn't even need to be filled with concrete.  You can use sand, it's easier.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Junior Adams

Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 2:38am

yes indeed, thanks for bringing these topics up..

I hadnt considered the need for a canopy and all... i think i will go with the ez up to start with. do i really need walls for it? the website i looked at seemed to have the canopies in stock but it said nothing of the walls for that particular model.

man so much to think about and consider.

ps... the pics of the booths that were posted were very helpful.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2009 at 3:40am by Junior Adams »  

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 8:36am

Junior Adams wrote on Feb 8th, 2009 at 2:38am:
yes indeed, thanks for bringing these topics up..

I hadnt considered the need for a canopy and all... i think i will go with the ez up to start with. do i really need walls for it? the website i looked at seemed to have the canopies in stock but it said nothing of the walls for that particular model.

man so much to think about and consider.

ps... the pics of the booths that were posted were very helpful.

Jr... the only thing I can say is, its best to have them and not need them than it is to need them and not have them... remember my neighbor selling Avon, I didn't know about the walls either till my run in with her, now I'm prepared.

Wizzy

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 8:56am

Jr.
  The EZ up that I have came with the sides, I got it at Sams CLub and it was less than $300.00  I also think you might find a pic of my booth set up from a couple of years ago in my gallery.

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Anthony Yakonick

Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 9:33pm

I have three walls down 99% of the time, a small breeze can knock 10 HFs down real quick. I said in another post, when, not if, the wind and rain comes you need walls.

If it don't hold soup, it's art!!

IP Logged

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 12:22am

I grabbed this from another post of Anthony's in another thread.
If you want to do 2K in sales you need 5K in inventory.

There is a math formula for this and while I do not remember the exact formula, it boils down to something like for every 100 items you have that are viewed by 100 people, 4 will definately sell. It is a brute force approach to sales, something many big stores and "junk" dealers embrace. (saddly)
While quality products and quality personality will elevate sale %'s conciderably, as Anthony mentioned it is very important to not go understocked.

But, occationally you will find yourself short of items to sell, at that point you really need to make some hard discussions, including if you should go to the show as a vendor.
If you go to the show here is a couple suggestions that you may want to think about.
Print up a bunch of pamphlet, with photos of your work, promoting custom orders and spend the show time networking with both the vendors and potential customers.

Do demonstrations at the show, this will increase your saleable items while at the show and draw people in to watch you.

Pay even closer attention to your display, things you may over look when fully stocked will stand out when low on product.

(This one may sound silly but it works) Bring an extra person or two with you to the show. It fills up the booth and Do not sit around (if you don't have the product with you it is even more important that you are standing, but don't look desperate.) Talk about the products with each other, people will stop to listen and look.  It also allows you to go to the bathroom when you need and gives a couple more people talking up your stuff when you are busy with another customer.

Have an item or two that you encourage people to touch. People are tactile, if you have a texture or smoothness that is unique it will fasinate them. If you have something extremely smooth, first let them touch it with their hands then take it and gently slide it over their arm or cheek.  (I have moved litterally 100's of items doing this.)

In "97" I had a once in a life time show, at the end of 3 days I had only 8 items left.. I was estatic, until it hit me I had another show in 2 weeks, then I went into a panic.

anyway, just a few more thoughts.

Brad

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #12 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 2:25pm

Brad_Mortensen wrote on Feb 10th, 2009 at 12:22am:
...Have an item or two that you encourage people to touch. People are tactile, if you have a texture or smoothness that is unique it will fasinate them...

For my first couple shows, I had a few small signs around my display that said "Please ask before handling". Some people didn't see (or heed) the signs, and others would just back off and not touch anything.

Now, I encourage booth visitors to handle the pieces. I tell people "Feel free to pick any of the pieces up. They're meant to be handled. I just ask that you don't juggle with them". That usually gets a chuckle, and folks tend to relax and spend more time checking out my work. I've found that people tend to be real careful with my stuff. (Knock on wood.)

IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #13 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 3:59pm

I have never sold anything Sad but I've given lots of stuff away and the first thing people do is feel the piece.  I've watched people stand and talk while unconsciously feeling the bowl or whatever they have in their hands and that tactile experience seems to be very attractive.  Have you ever been in an old house and remarked, or been remarked to, about the patina on an old newel post or handrail?  There seems to be something elemental about smooth wood.

IP Logged

Junior Adams

Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 7:40am

the first thing my wife does when i give her a new turning... is rub it against her cheek. She says that is the best way for her to feel how smooth the wood really is. it still amazes her that it is possible to make it so smooth.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ken Grunke

I finally got around to
it!

SW Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
SW Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #15 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 12:40pm

Very good information in this discussion, thank you all! I have only done a few small craft fairs, never anything big time. I think the best piece of advice is to have at least one person with you. A craft show is NOT something I would want to do solo. Leading to my question: Has anyone had problems with theft, or attempted theft? What's a good way to prevent it?

Home Page: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners of SW Wisconsin - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Ken Grunke  
IP Logged

Tom Davis
WR Addict

I get jokes

Reply #16 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 1:28pm

Ken
So far in the three that I have done luckily I have no theft problems. One is the largest juried Craft fair and is held in the local high school. There was security at night and also during the day. The other two were church craft fairs and only lasted  about 8 hours and no problems there also.
We take three people to the large one and two to the church fairs that way wife and daughter can get their fill of shopping and let me go off when I need to.

LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY, WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING
WOW WHAT A RIDE

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #17 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 8:42pm

Ken, LOML goes with me to the shows, although she spends more time shopping and visiting with other vendors than she spends in the booth. She covers the booth for me when I need to take a break, but she doesn't know much about the turned pieces, so it's up to me to do most of the talking to the potential customers. (She's my official package wrapper, though.) If I'm out of the booth and someone is interested in something, she calls me on my cell phone and I hustle back over to the booth.

That said, there have been a few days when she couldn't be be there until late in the afternoon. In those cases, I've had no problems asking one of my booth neighbors to keep an eye on my booth for a few minutes when I need to take a bathroom break. We've done the same for our booth neighbors, too.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2009 at 4:01am by Vaughn McMillan »  
IP Logged

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #18 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 9:05pm

I seldom did a show by myself, but like Vaughn mention, one of the other vendors will usually keep an eye on things for you so nothing walks off.
There was one time I came back to find some money under a vase and a piece gone, the guy stopped back a little later to let me know it was him and make sure I got the money.

The only thing I have ever had taken was by a hardened criminal, type age 3.

Brad

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #19 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 4:04am

Brad_Mortensen wrote on Feb 19th, 2009 at 9:05pm:
...The only thing I have ever had taken was by a hardened criminal, type age 3.

LOL, I had a kid about that age try to walk off with a paper clip out of a magnetic paper clip bowl once. His mom made him come over and ask if he could have it. (I told him yes, and thanked him for asking.)  Cheesy

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #20 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 5:17am

Brad,
You were lucky he didn't hurt you those types of criminals are brutal.  Grin

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Ken Grunke

I finally got around to
it!

SW Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
SW Wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #21 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 11:59am

Again, thank you all for sharing your experiences, this has been a very educational discussion.
Actually, this whole Marketing section of the forums is worth it's weight in gold  Grin
Gee, that doesn't say much does it...
Let me just say, it's worth a WHOLE LOT to me.
High in value, rich in information!
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2009 at 12:05pm by Ken Grunke »  

Home Page: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners of SW Wisconsin - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Ken Grunke  
IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #22 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 12:06pm

I don't do shows but I go to them and my tip is - don't sit reading a book!  There's a guy who turns up at a Christmas Fair ('Fayre'?) every year and people just walk past him.  They look at his stuff (which is good) as they pass but don't stop.  I'm always amazed that he hasn't noticed that the other guy there with turned stuff always seems to have lots of people at his stall and seems to shift a lot of stuff.  Maybe it's got something to do with his friendly manner and the fun he has with children.  (If you treat children nicely you can do whatever you want to their parents)

IP Logged

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #23 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 1:54pm

Brendan McAreavy wrote on Feb 20th, 2009 at 12:06pm:
I   (If you treat children nicely you can do whatever you want to their parents)

Yeah, but then the Husband shows up and there goes the "sale"  Wink

Brad

IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #24 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 2:08pm

Grin

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #25 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 5:28pm

Brad,
Not if the wife wants it. Remember if Momma ain't happy nobody is happy.

IP Logged

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #26 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 11:15pm

Chuck Beland wrote on Feb 20th, 2009 at 5:28pm:
Brad,
Not if the wife wants it. Remember if Momma ain't happy nobody is happy.

Honestly one of the Great truths of the universe!

Brad

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #27 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 3:55am

Brad, Very true & if Momma's happy new toys for the hubby.  Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print