Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Boring Time in the Shop (Read 5,272 times)

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Boring Time in the Shop
Mar 23rd, 2009 at 2:51am

I had a boring weekend in the shop. Boring bars, that is.

I really like the 3/4" stainless steel boring bars that came with my Monster hollowing rig. However, I wanted to be able to go though smaller openings. Over a year ago, I bought a set of Don Pencil "Stinger" 7/16" boring bars. They were a nice size, but I never did like the round bar cutting tips that came with them. Plus, the set screws to hold the cutters were tiny, and they stripped out way too easily (or my hex wrenches twisted because they were so thin).

After reading about several guys recently making their own boring bars and Oland tools, I figured I should give it a shot myself. I wanted 1/2" bars that were capable of holding the 1/4" cutters that I already had for the Monster rig.

Saturday, I picked up a 3' piece of 1/2" cold rolled steel bar and a few set screws at the local hardware store. The first three bars went so well, I went out Sunday and bought another 3' piece of steel and made a few more. Here are a few progress pics...

First, I had to figure out how to drill a hole in the end of a 1/2" steel bar. I took a wooden screw clamp, and drilled a 7/16" hole between the two halves of the clamp.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

That allowed me to hold the bar vertically and drill a pilot hole...

And then the final hole. (I don't know what size it is...I just experimented around until I found a hole size the 1/4" square HSS bits would fit in.)

Then, to hold the cutting tip in place, I needed a tapped hole for the setscrew. I ended up using a 10-24 screw, so the pilot hole was a #25 bit...

I also wanted to make a bar with an angled cutter, so I ground an angled flat spot on the end of a bar and drilled a hole to fit the cutting tip...

The angled bar also got a setscrew, but I didn't get any pics of that operation.

I also made three different bent bars (with a little help from my propane torch), but didn't take any pics of the bending process.

And here are the results...

Here are the three bent bars. I'll probably make more after I see how these perform...

And here are the three straight bars. One is truly straight, one has an angled bit, and I ground one of them down to accept a scraper bit from the Monster gear.

Here's a detail shot of the angled bit...

And the scraper bit...

And as an added bonus, all of them (except the scraper bar) will accept my Hunter carbide insert...

All told, including steel bar material and setscrews, I spent under $20 to make these. I need to stop by the hardware store and pick up some shorter setscrews, and I'll probably grab a bit more steel just to have on hand in the event I get a bright idea for another one.

Given my choice, I would have preferred to buy them from Randy at Monster Tools (assuming I could talk him into making 1/2" bars for me). Randy uses much better steel, and his tools are machined instead of hacked and ground. Unfortunately, being laid off, my tool fund ain't what it used to be, so these will have to do until I can afford to buy some better ones.

I'll post some action pics when I get a chance to use the new bars.
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2009 at 7:55am by Ron Sardo »  
IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Re: Boring Time in the Shop
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 3:28am

Very good job.  And quite economical.

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 3:41am

Vaughn,
Excellent job on the bars. That steel was cheap. for my steel snake a 1" square x 12" long piece of mild steel cost me $20 for a total of $60 for the dang steel.  Sad

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 8:19am

Way Cool... very innovative!!! You did a great job Vaughn and I can't wait to see then in action!

You Da Man!

Wizzy

IP Logged

Ken Ward
Ex Member

I Love WR

Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 8:34am

WTG very nice work,I used 5/8 stainless round stock that was 8 bucks a ft,but well worth it  smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Randy_Privett
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Mooreland,, Indiana, USA
Mooreland,
Indiana
USA

Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 8:35am

Great job.  Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #6 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 9:22am

Great job on the tools.  I've been thinking about trying my hand at making tools like this & was wondering if the carbide tipped metal lathe bits from Harbor Freight would work.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Thanks

Bill

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Bill Bolen
WR Supporter

Missouri turner

Eureka, Missouri, USA
Eureka
Missouri
USA

Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 12:05pm

Fantastic posting Vaughn! I hope one of the admin's here put this in the tutorial section. Clear, concise and easy to follow. There is usually a posting somewhere here asking for directions or help in making tools of this sort and yours is perfect. Hope to see some shots of your bending operation if you do another. Love your tools. I need to make a few swan necks myself and I think you just inspired me to get off my butt before winter is really over and I am outside with little shop time. Thank you for a great post...Bill..

2Ljunkie

IP Logged

Jeff Bower

MauBow

Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 1:02pm

Bill Neff wrote on Mar 23rd, 2009 at 9:22am:
Great job on the tools.  I've been thinking about trying my hand at making tools like this & was wondering if the carbide tipped metal lathe bits from Harbor Freight would work.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Thanks

Bill

Bill, I've found that Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Registerworks great! Different sizes and cheap too! Also enco.com and mcnaughten (sp?) sells HSS cutters cheap.

Always doing urgent things usually excludes important things….
IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #9 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 2:20pm

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Bill Neff wrote on Mar 23rd, 2009 at 9:22am:
Great job on the tools.  I've been thinking about trying my hand at making tools like this & was wondering if the carbide tipped metal lathe bits from Harbor Freight would work.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Thanks

Bill

I'll have to see if my local HF has those in stock. They look like they would work just fine, but it probably depends on how sharp they are, or if they can be sharpened with a diamond lapping tool.

The HSS bits like Jeff linked to are a breeze to sharpen, I use the same grinding angle as a scraper, and the tool rest on that side of my grinder is always set at that angle already, so it just takes a second to resharpen it.

IP Logged

Ken Ward
Ex Member

I Love WR

Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 2:52pm

Hate to go against the grain fellas,but I would be carefull about those from HF as its not how sharp the tool is,but how well the tips are brazed on.I have seen many of there router bits fly apart because of the poor quality of the brazing.I would go with enco.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #11 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 2:58pm

Excellent Vaughn

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #12 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 5:21pm

great info.  i guess this means that i might have to get into steel work after all.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #13 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 6:34pm

Bill,
I definitely agree this should be a TUT.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Jim Underwood
WR Addict

It's better to turn than
burn...

Reply #14 - Mar 25th, 2009 at 1:05pm

Vaughn,
Excellent job on those.

Please let us know how they perform.

I used 5/8 CR steel on a straight one, with the same set screw. It works pretty well, except I need to make a better, longer handle. I've got some Black Locust I'm saving for the job... I have not made the bent one yet. I just haven't gotten my "round tuit" out of the drawer yet... Wink

Jim Underwood&&Fides quaerens intellectum&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print