Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Invited to my first show!! (Read 1,588 times)

Tim Jackson

a FAN for Christ

Invited to my first show!!
Mar 26th, 2009 at 2:07pm

I gave my Pastor an acrylic pen I made and while he was out showing it off, a mutual friend took a liking to it.  She happens to be helping to organize a local craft show here in Columbus, GA called "Salute to the South".  She invited me to attend.  It is a two day event over Mother's Day weekend.  The fee for both days is $55 for a 8x12 table/booth.  I am still struggleing with forms, bowls, and plates, but can make a pretty decent pen, keychain,...  "kit/mandrel" items.  I wanted to run it by you guys to see if I should let this one go by, or whether I should jump at the oppurtunity and pray I make some money!!  lol   Let me know what everyone thinks!!

Tim

an ex-Army Turner
1 Cor 1:27....  my life verse!!  Smiley  for I am foolish and weak....
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/timeles  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Re: Invited to my first show!!
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 2:22pm

Go for it, there is nothing like experience.

Brad

IP Logged

Philip Peak
WR Addict

Southeastern Indiana, Indiana, USA
Southeastern Indiana
Indiana
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 3:30pm

The big question is can you make enough stuff to sell to make it worth your while?  If you can, then go for it, ifnot then I would pass and wait for the next one.  Other things to consider too is how are you going to set up?  what will you use for a canopy, it can get pretty hot and miserable outside in the glaring sun with no shade.  Do you have a table to use?

The woodturner formerly known as PhilipE.  Willing to mentor members who live in the southeastern Indiana/Kentuckiana area (Louisville area)
WWW poet0928  
IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 5:14pm

Congrats on the invitation.  smiley=thumbsup.gif  I'll also say go for it.  Wink It won't take a lot of pen sales to recoup your $55 entry fee, and the experience will be priceless. You'll probably need to build up some stock for the show, but in my opinion, it's better to have only a few nice pieces than to have a lot of so-so pieces. Don't rush your products at the expense of quality.  Wink

Philip has good points about shade (if the show is outdoors).

IP Logged

Tom Davis
WR Addict

I get jokes

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 6:30pm

Go for it have a lot of fun meet new people and sell all you can. Make sure that you have someone to relieve you so you can take a break when you need it. Smile wear your uniform and you should make out well.

LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY, WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING
WOW WHAT A RIDE

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 6:48pm

I agree, go for it, but like Philip said, can you have enough stock made up to recoup your fee before the show, if you can then you have everything to gain and get some experience in dealing with the public and showing off your work and like Philip said... it can get mighty hot out in the open sun with out a canopy, just go repaired for anything and make sure you take plenty of water, don't want to spend all the cash you earn on buying their drinks/food and have fun.

Congrads on the invite!!!

Wizzy

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 8:03pm

Tim,
I can't add anything new so I'll just say congrats & knock them dead.  smiley=thumbsup.gif

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 8:23pm

Go for it.  All of the above is good info.  Perfume pens and bracelet assistants make nice mother's day gifts.  Also, pill containers, ring holders, bowls, peppermills, vases, etc., etc., etc.

For your first one, stick to the basics.

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ken Ward
Ex Member

I Love WR

Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 8:32pm

Ya gots lotsa time,so get em spinin,an go for the gusto,good luck to ya buddy  smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 8:40pm

I wouldn't want to spend the entry fee if I didn't have at least $1000 worth of good merchandise to show.  If you don't have enough selection, you're less likely to sell enough to cover your costs.

JimQ
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2009 at 8:40pm by JimQuarles »  

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #10 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 12:54pm

JimQuarles wrote on Mar 26th, 2009 at 8:40pm:
I wouldn't want to spend the entry fee if I didn't have at least $1000 worth of good merchandise to show.  If you don't have enough selection, you're less likely to sell enough to cover your costs.

JimQ

Normally I would agree with Jim, however...  $55 isn't even a dinner and movie for 2.
This is your first show and you have been asked to attend. If you blow it off, it could lead to having probs getting in at a later date. BTW: Show coordinators talk so it could also effect surrounding shows. Those may or may not be minor, but they are worth concidering.
Even more important, is if your going to do shows, you have to take the plunge at some time. If you wait until you have enough product, and the perfect right product, you might never do a show.
Besides doing shows is a blast!, you meet wonderful people, get to talk with complete strangers and get a lot of ideas to make your business run better... Some may even be your own  Wink

Go for it, have a great time, don't worry about the little stuff and make enough money to cover everything and dinner too.

Brad

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #11 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 3:18pm

I gotta agree with Brad on this one, Jim. $1000 worth of merchandise? We're talking $55 here. I agree that a good selection will help his sales, but how many pens does it take to make up $55 (plus materials)? Three, maybe four? Plus, even if he sells absolutely nothing, $55 is a pretty cheap price to pay for two days of sitting around hearing compliments on his work.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #12 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 5:47pm

go for it.  you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  even if you sell nothing, the $55 is a investment in learning.  now get out there and do it.  and remember, no pics, it did not happen. smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

GeorgeH
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 9:09pm

Go for it  smiley=thumbsup.gif  Even if you only break even you'll have a chance to begin building your reputation and you can take orders for specialty items during the show which could mean a greater margin of profit.  Lidded boxes are very well received, don't take long to make and might be a good items for you to include in your inventory for the show.  Keep in mind that if you sell out on day one, you have nothing to show for subsequent days.  Having a few items (samples of each of the types of turnings you are willing to do) in a "Not For Sale" section from which you will accept orders sometimes works as a method for remaining involved in these shows without having to part with everything you have in the first couple of hours  Been there; done that.  It is not a desirable situation.
  smiley=lolk.gif
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2009 at 9:10pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Tim Jackson

a FAN for Christ

Reply #14 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 4:16pm

Thanks for all the advice guys!!  I am going to do the show with about 80 pieces for sale, one of each in the "special order" section as well as a few items to "test" the market...  My wife is so excited, she is letting me buy up some extra machines (sanders, drill press, chainsaw) and other shop stuff.  She decided since I might actually start making money, we should invest in the buisness!!  WOOT!!

Tim

an ex-Army Turner
1 Cor 1:27....  my life verse!!  Smiley  for I am foolish and weak....
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/timeles  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print