Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Uploading photos
Apr 13th, 2009 at 1:46pm

Quote:
I no longer post my pictures on any galleries anywhere because I was burned before with someone else claiming they had the rights to the pictures and pointing to the "end user agreement" of the gallery. They were correct, their EULA did say that once you post its no longer yours. Now I just dont bother to deal with it. I have my own.

We don't have that problem with our gallery.
We claim no copyright, your photos are your photos to keep.

For more information, please read the user agreement when you register on the Gallery.

If you prefer to link your images on WR you must:
1) keep them under 50k (which you have done)
2) They must be 640x480 or smaller (which you need to do)

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2009 at 2:24pm by Ron Sardo »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Rev. Paul Gallian

><((((º>.·´¯

Re: Yet another Salt & Pepper set
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 2:09pm

This is NOT for argument sake  --  simply ask for clarification..

Ron said:  If you prefer to link your images on WR you must:
1) keep them under 50k (which you have done)
2) They must be 640x480 or smaller (which you need to do)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just asking!!!  please DO NOT be offended!!!!  !!! 
If I have an external site to host my personal photos  and only link to them in a post following a thread do they need to follow your protocol  50k - 640x480?
if you read what you wrote with a critical eye it would imply that one does need to follow the 50k rule.
"Link your images on WR you must"  implies no matter where the image is hosted it must be smaller than 50k & 640x480.

I hope you are talking about linking to the WR gallery not an exteral web site.
People do not have to goto the linked site if they are worried about time to load or any-other reason.

A tree huggers and environmental wacko and a wood-turner
therevpaul  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: Yet another Salt & Pepper set
Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 2:17pm

Yes I would prefer the images in the Gallery. But sometimes it makes sense to link images here.

Case in point, Vaughn had a nice write up about sharpening bits. It was pretty dang cumbersome clicking on each link to see what each image looks like. Wasn't his directions easier to follow when the images are present?

I've been thinking along these lines for a while, I don't really have anything clear cut yet
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2009 at 2:28pm by Ron Sardo »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Dennis Gerasimov
Ex Member

Re: Uploading photos
Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 2:28pm

Ok, I will follow all the unreasonable restrictions you guys have here. Or perhaps its just easier to go to a different board.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 2:31pm

Quote:
Ok, I will follow all the unreasonable restrictions you guys have here. Or perhaps its just easier to go to a different board.

Shocked Would you prefer that we claim copyright to your photos? Shocked

The reason for the reasonable restrictions is there are people who have small screens and are on dial up.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2009 at 2:34pm by Ron Sardo »  

IP Logged

Rev. Paul Gallian

><((((º>.·´¯

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 3:23pm

So if I link to a movie hosted on say you-tube then this would be out of bounds for the rules...?  it would be larger than the 50k rule.

Do you see a difference between still shots larger than 50k and movies that are larger 50k?

I really do see what you are trying to do!  and I respect that and will follow it to the letter.  But people have an options to visit the site or not -- if it a link to an external site (not on WR site).

I see many doing that on the Woodturner's Resource many, many ,many times--  I enjoyed Rev's link to his blog,  Chuck silly egg laying and you-tube movies on and on all larger than the 50k limit.
It was my option to visit them knowing that they would be large files..   I use Flicker and photobucket and my own web site to host info and photos.  They are not restricted to 50k  people with dial-up do not have to visit with just a link visible on the thread example ..  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

therevpaul  
IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 3:31pm

Hi Paul,

There's no problem posting a link to a video or picture on another site.  The size issue here refers to downloads to this site and space available here.  I have posted lots of links here that take people to videos and galleries without any problem.

Brendan

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 3:33pm

Two different things, videos and images. I was talking about images not videos. But since you brought up the subject...

45k image 600x450

youtube link

Both acceptable

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 3:43pm

Paul and Dennis,
I don't believe everyone is on the same page here.  Linking to another site is no problem.  It is when there are large pics or videos posted on WR that we seem to have trouble with slow download times for the folks on dial-up.  We came to this agreement long ago and keep tabs on how many guests we have that are still on dial-up.  If that number ever goes away, we may well change things.  I know I just got DSL less than 2 years ago.  There is just still so much of the country that does not have it available yet.  That is why we request as many pics as possible to be in the gallery.  You may still link to pics and videos off site, but it does get a little cumbersome when there is a whole series of pics.  But that if still better than trying to download 15 or 20 pics when you are on dial-up. 

I'm guessing that is all clear as mud too.

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 3:45pm

Looks like great minds ....
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2009 at 3:46pm by Rev. Doug Miller »  

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #10 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 5:28pm

When I need or want to post a pic I used to do it full size until I was told about the rules. So no to cause any friction a friend told me how to post thumbnail pics you can see what I'm talking about & if you want you can click the the pic to see it full size.

Paul,
That thing I posted was in TOT I only posted a link to as I stated a funny Easter joke. I'm sorry if you took offense to it.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Rev. Paul Gallian

><((((º>.·´¯

Reply #11 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 6:08pm

Okay now I am getting upset!

I understand the rules...   and Why they are present...  I have not questioned them...!!

I was just going to let this go away but people keep miss- understanding what I wrote...

People --  I say it again  ---  a link on WR to an external site is what I was writing about..  The way Ron wrote he said the link on WR not where it was hosted.

Chuck did you read  "I enjoyed Rev's link to his blog,  Chuck silly egg laying and you-tube movies on and on all larger than the 50k limit. "

Enjoy does not infer offense  ---  I thought that it was funny  --  the size was greater than 50k and was a link on WR  pointing to a site off on WR..
Again I say links pointing to other sites no matter what size the link are important.....   people with slow connection do not have to visit the linked site.

Several boards do not allow links to external sites.....   sorry that is their rule..

Please read what I posted and said not what you think I am saying   -- semantics
I really like this site  please do not run me off!  If I keep getting miss read and get static because of it I will leave.  It just not worth it trying to defend myself.

I do understand why the rules are in place and will follow them to the letter.  I just wanted to get the (link to anything over 50k clear)  most links off of the WR are more than 50k...

Chuck you have never offended me ---  YOU and others are funny and enjoyed ---  I laugh too hard I know how to ask God for forgiveness.....
Rev. Paul Gallian

therevpaul  
IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #12 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 6:15pm

Paul,
I'm sorry I totally misunderstood you.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #13 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 6:27pm

Hi Paul,

Anything over 50K that you link to is fine, either photos or videos.

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #14 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 7:00pm

Paul

I bet if we were on the phone talking we would understand each other.
Sometimes in a forum like this it is easy to misread what some one writes.
It is also possible that the person writing did not properly convey what they meant.

Both sides need to be patient.

You can link to any image like this and I don't care what size it is. I would think it is polite to let others know that it is a BFF  (Big Freaking File).

If you post an image like this and it is hosted on another site it needs to be no bigger than 50k and no larger than 640x480

You can link to another site like this

Or like this

Did I understand your question properly and did I explain myself correctly?
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2009 at 7:06pm by Ron Sardo »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print