Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Hard times (Read 4,822 times)

George Carrigan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Hard times
Reply #15 - May 12th, 2009 at 10:33am

I've got another one day show this weekend so we'll see how it goes. I've found there are lots of "artists" at these shows that are already defeated before they even set up. They don't talk to customers unless the customer calls them over and they constantly have a sour puss on their face. Enjoy the day off talking about wood and explaining our craft that we love so much, and always remember that the guy in the dirty t-shirt could be a doctor looking for something for his wife, mother, brother, etc. George

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #16 - May 12th, 2009 at 1:17pm

love to hear your success stories.  may all your sales continue to increase and all your buyers be ecstatic with their purchases.  smiley=beer.gif smiley=beer.gif

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #17 - May 12th, 2009 at 1:56pm

George Carrigan wrote on May 12th, 2009 at 10:33am:
I've got another one day show this weekend so we'll see how it goes. I've found there are lots of "artists" at these shows that are already defeated before they even set up. They don't talk to customers unless the customer calls them over and they constantly have a sour puss on their face. Enjoy the day off talking about wood and explaining our craft that we love so much, and always remember that the guy in the dirty t-shirt could be a doctor looking for something for his wife, mother, brother, etc. George

Very true words. Even if I'm not selling a thing, I have a lot of fun chatting up the people who drop by my booth. I can talk the ears off a stalk of corn. Usually by the second day of the show, my booth neighbors have heard the "how I made the root ball bowl" speech so many times they have it memorized.  Grin  Other artists, like you said, retreat to the back of the booth (or across the street) and only talk to customers when forced to.

IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #18 - May 12th, 2009 at 3:51pm

I helped a mate with an antiques stall at a huge outdoor market here, Nutts Corner, reportedly the biggest in the world.  Anyway, he is beside a guy selling coats.  Every time a lady tried on a coat my mate would say 'Lady, I've been watching girls trying those coats on all day and there hasn't been one it looked as well on as you'.  Sale to the coat guy, $10 to my mate.  Loads of coats shifted each day. Grin

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #19 - May 13th, 2009 at 6:36pm

You have to chat up the people.
Was visiting a friend in Norman OK a few years ago, he was a leather dealer, he was complaining about having to bring a whole case of rabbit pelts to the show and he only sold 2 or3 hides a show.
I started taking the pelts out of anyone who touched ones hands and chatted with them about how the hand was too course to really feel the fur and I would gently brush it along their face and down their neck.
He had to go back to the shop and bring 2 more cases of pelts out. Ended up selling every pelt he had.
Gotta talk to the people
Brad
even had 2 girls bring their mothers back to meet me  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Paul Hinds

the Hobbit

hard times and then some !
Reply #20 - May 17th, 2009 at 12:20pm

Fortunately for me I don't rely on bowl income for anything but helping pay for all the wood I buy, but starting mid-year last year, the bottom has dropped out.  I used to sell maybe 30 to 40 bowls a year on the internet.  In the last half of last year  I sold one and so far this year I've sold one.  Bummer.

Paul (hobbithouse) Hinds
WOOD ID SITE: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
BOWLS: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
GLOSSARY: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Re: hard times and then some !
Reply #21 - May 17th, 2009 at 5:05pm

Paul Hinds wrote on May 17th, 2009 at 12:20pm:
Fortunately for me I don't rely on bowl income for anything but helping pay for all the wood I buy, but starting mid-year last year, the bottom has dropped out.  I used to sell maybe 30 to 40 bowls a year on the internet.  In the last half of last year  I sold one and so far this year I've sold one.  Bummer.

Until I got laid off in February, I also wasn't too concerned with making money from sales. Any extra income went back into the shop fund.

Like you, the market around here seems to have gone south last fall, but hopefully it's going to start picking up a bit.

BTW, I have a nephew named Paul Hinde. Not quite the same name as yours, but close.  Smiley

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
George Carrigan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #22 - May 18th, 2009 at 9:21am

Well I did a show last Sat and I only sold one pc. It was a high end pc so I doubled the booth fee "but". In the two shows I've done this year I've noticed a trend that I don't like. This show had about 1/3 artists, 1/3 peddlers (buy and sell) and 1/3 local businesses like Ins companies, health care providers, roofers, new windows and doors etc. After talking with the show staff I found that they only use the jury process if they have enough artists apply. If not then they just sell to anyone they can in order to sell the 200 spaces available. After 5 years I won't do this show again. George

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #23 - May 18th, 2009 at 12:55pm

I've been at our Farmer's Market the past 6 weeks and it's really been up & down.  Pretty much happy to sell enough to pay the booth fee.  I've actually made several contacts from friends who didn't know I turned and have had three who own their own businesses say now they know where they're going for "corporate gifts".   Sales from word of mouth from around my office and my wife's have been the best.

One thing I did do was make 3 "dibbers".  People always ask what they are.  Their guesses range from "upscale tent stakes" to "kid knockers" (rap the kid upside the head to get their attention.)  My response is "Well depends on who you ask - my daughter says they're vampire stakes but they are dibbers for planting seeds & bulb."  I've yet to sell one, but it keeps them at the booth and then they look longer at the other items.  Saturday, I actually had 2 guys who walked up, picked one up and said "Oh a dibber."  They were the first to know what they are.

Bill

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #24 - May 18th, 2009 at 1:13pm

The first thing I made on my lathe was a dibber.  I used wet Ash branch and it came out well for a first piece.  I was really, really proud of it.  Three days later it looked like a banana Grin
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2009 at 1:14pm by Brendan McAreavy »  

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

ddt frederick holsclaw
WR Addict

beam me up scotty

earth i think (aka lathekiller, South Carolina, USA
earth i think (aka lathekiller
South Carolina
USA

Reply #25 - May 19th, 2009 at 4:36pm

Brendan McAreavy wrote on May 18th, 2009 at 1:13pm:
The first thing I made on my lathe was a dibber.  I used wet Ash branch and it came out well for a first piece.  I was really, really proud of it.  Three days later it looked like a banana Grin

so now you can plant bananas
Tongue

just making toothpicks

IP Logged

MikeInMo

Hyperbole is the best
thing ever!

Reply #26 - May 23rd, 2009 at 3:01pm

Brad_Mortensen wrote on May 13th, 2009 at 6:36pm:
even had 2 girls bring their mothers back to meet me  Roll Eyes

...and you were selling what again???  Roll Eyes

It sounds like the pelts are just a diversionary tactic, like taking a puppy to the park.

"Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there." Will Rogers

Don't sneeze in your face shield.

IP Logged

Dave Keeling

WR Rocks!

Reply #27 - May 29th, 2009 at 2:56pm

I've always called it a dibbler, but that was my first real turning project.  I have two that I use every spring  Cool

-Dave

IP Logged

George Carrigan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #28 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 8:54am

I had a show this weekend in Frederick MD and I was very happy with the results. Sold 7 pcs total, of which 3 were high end (300+). Overall the vendors were really mixed on their results but I'd guess that about half of the 200 were happy with their weekend. I'll be doing Allentown Art Festival (Buffalo NY) next weekend. George

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #29 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 3:22pm

Congrats, George. Sounds like a good weekend indeed.  smiley=thumbsup.gif