Hard times (Read 7,806 times)

Bob Wright

WR Rocks!

Consejo, Belize, Belize
Consejo, Belize
Belize

Hard times
Apr 30th, 2009 at 7:54pm

I don't know how many of the members that post on this board rely on a significant portion of their income from what they turn, but times are getting tough. Here in Belize  about 75-80% of what I turn is sold to tourists. The arrival numbers are way down and those who do show up are, for the most part, keeping their hands in their pockets. Just barely coping with that, and now the swine flu thing to further cut the numbers of travelers.
If this thing continues to grow I can foresee craft shows canceled and all sorts of negative fall out for all of us who depend upon sawdust for a living.
I don't mean to be too pessimistic but it's tough to find an up side in the near to mid future.
What are your thoughts in the great north country?
Bob

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Re: Hard times
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 8:48pm

I saw a lot of slowdown in my market (Los Angeles) starting last fall. It looks like it might be picking up a little, but it still seems most folks are holding onto their money. I know I sure couldn't afford to buy my stuff right now. I've heard some cases, though, of folks having good results at shows this spring. (The only one I've done so far this year was not bad.) Hopefully things will continue to pick up here in the US, which I suspect will eventually be reflected in your market, too.

IP Logged

Ken Ward
WR Noob

I Love WR

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 8:56pm

Well Bob,I think I can safely say that its gettin pretty bad up here for a lot of folks.All I can say or do is wish you the best an just try to hang in there.

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 9:07pm

Feeling it in the south also.  Shows were a bit discouraging last year.  But as I understand shows, they cycle and soon enough it will be booming again.  At least that's wishful thinking. Undecided

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 11:30pm

Over all mine has dropped off some, but I am noticing a lot more over seas sales and less US sales. And it seems more spurty now then in the past.
Brad

IP Logged

E. Bud Gillaspie
WR Addict

Where'd I put that round
tuit?

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 11:34pm

What's a "market?" Do turners really have such a thing in this world? Even my overseas sales are one tenth of average. Oh well, as long as Social Security is afloat so shall we be afloat.

E. Bud Gillaspie Umpqua Turning Club

IP Logged

George Carrigan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2009 at 12:12pm

I had a show in Richmond VA over the weekend and it started out very slow but the last two hours brought four people back that had spent time in the booth Sat or Sun morning. Ended up selling 7 pieces total for the weekend. Made the booth fee six times over. I firmly believe quality "ART" will sell even in these hard times. George

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #7 - May 4th, 2009 at 4:17pm

Congrads George, your work speaks for its self, your a talented turner and artiest. WTG!

Wizzy

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Keith Larrett

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - May 10th, 2009 at 9:41am

I work in the construction industry installing kitchen cabinets.  The begining of this year was dead in the water, however the last couple of months I've seen signs which have made me cautiously optimistic. 

I realize this is not a reflection of selling turnings at shows, just a reflection of the economy in general.

IP Logged

Ken Ferrell

WR Rocks!

Reply #9 - May 10th, 2009 at 4:39pm

I was rained out at one of Tennessee's  largest craft shows last week, But there were about two hours when we had traffic, and we did very well considering the weather. I'm starting to see some jobs opening up in my area for Machinists, Manufacturing and even drudge work, my wife manages a fast food restaurant and they are trying to find help, I guess things are good enough on unemployment and food stamps that people don't want to work 40 to 50 hrs a week for minimum wage.
I agree with George, Quality art will always sell. smiley=thumbsup.gif

Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it. &&&&Henry Ford
IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #10 - May 11th, 2009 at 7:32pm

George, you should send some of those art customers out west. LOML and I did a show this weekend in Studio City and the vast majority of us vendors had slow sales. This show has been going on twice yearly for about 40 years, and it has a good reputation among the other vendors as a real "art" show with good sales. The crowds this weekend were pretty thin, and those who did show up kept their wallets in their pockets for the most part. We had a great time, had beautiful weather, but barely broke even. I did get to add this to my booth, though...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It was for the wood art category. I was pleasantly surprised to win first place, since there were several other wood artists (including two full-time turners) who all had what I considered to be fine-looking work. This award, and $3.00, will get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks.  Wink

Congrats to both George and Ken for your recent good shows.  smiley=thumbsup.gif  I agree with you about quality art, and despite this weekend's show, I think things are slowly picking back up in the market.

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #11 - May 11th, 2009 at 7:38pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Very well done Vaughn.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #12 - May 11th, 2009 at 8:17pm

All of ya'll... Keep up the great Work!!!  smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

Wizzy

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #13 - May 11th, 2009 at 9:14pm

Keep the faith, Brother.  It gets better!

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #14 - May 12th, 2009 at 4:57am

Well Done Vaughn smiley=thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2009 at 4:58am by Brendan McAreavy »