IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Re: Hard times
Reply #31 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 4:40am

George,
Fantastic news!!!

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

jleiwig

Newb

Reply #32 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 1:52pm

Congrat's George! 

I see signs of the economy picking up.  Things are changing in the US, and slow to adapt companies are stuck like GM and the like.  I work in social services for the county goverment here and know most of all the employment statistics.  Anyone who says they cannot get a job either means that they won't work for a lesser wage than what they feel they are worth, or are just too lazy to look.  Every fast food joint in town is looking for managers. 

Sure $10 bucks an hour isn't going to cut it when your used to making $28 an hour for putting on a door seal ever 3 seconds, but it's a job and it's work experience.   Smiley

IP Logged

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #33 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 12:15pm

Sounds Great George!!

I have been doing a lot of soul searching lately and this past week end took a minor move, not to boost sale but because I felt it was the right thing.
My average drop spindles I have been selling for $18-24 each. Start to finish not counting glueing time is about 20 min. I dropped the price to $11.
Nosty's were $15, I cut them to $8, it take about 7-10 mins to make one.
I did pretty much the same thing across the board with my stuff. My $50 spindles are now $24.

I have been thinking a lot, the reason economy is a mess and most things in this world don't give any one a good feeling is because of greed. Why should I contribute to that even in a small way. Most of my wood is free, and I make a decent hourly at the reduced prices. 
Face it... how much is it going to matter if I go to the grave in an off the rack suit insted of a $1000 suit?

Brad

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #34 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 12:39pm

Brad,  You are likely to get 2 unintended responses to that steep a price cut. 

1. People may think it is a "cheaper" product and maybe not worth even the lower price.

2. People who have previously bought from you will be unhappy that they paid so much more.

Generally people feel a higher price means a better quality product. 

JimQuarles

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #35 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 6:55pm

Actually we were afraid of both those things when we decided to do it. But, we felt the integrity  out weighed both of them.
It has not hurt our sales at all, and our regular customers don't seem to mind. I have one woman who orders 4-5 spindles from me a month and looks like that isn't going to change.

The ones it does bother.. well... not much I can do about them. 
Right now, there are people out there that are selling a toy wheel on a dowle, mainly to beginners. I have made no quams about letting everyone know that I feel beginners should be able to buy quality spindles at a decent price.
I know it might make zero difference in the over all of things, but to take greed out of my life feels good.
LOL not going for the whole proverty thing, I am still making a fair living.

Brad

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Dave Keeling

WR Rocks!

Reply #36 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 11:07pm

I've really had to think long and hard about what I want to say here.  I find it interesting how artisans and would-be-artisans value the work of others, say the work of the tailor that produces the $1000 suit made to fit one perfectly instead of a factory of workers in God-knows-where who produce a less expensive suit made to fit none perfectly. 

For almost all of us that sell our work to pay for our hobby or for a living, we require that there be people that want something unique or of a better quality.  Someone that values hand-made goods.  I look around and have seen amazing carvings and turning/carving from truly poor people in the Caribbean and Pacific Islands, where they make quality work, but will sell it for truly close to nothing.  I find this very humbling, because I a) don't like to sell my work and b)it's a amazing how little is asked for quality work from afar.

Who here seeks out and gets custom work?  I guess the question is are we hypocrites about the value of custom work?

-Dave

IP Logged

Bob Wright

WR Rocks!

Consejo, Belize, Belize
Consejo, Belize
Belize

Reply #37 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 10:25pm

In answer to Dave keeling, I'm a US expat in Belize since '91 and I agree that the prices sought by `carvers and turners here in the third world {Belize} are way lower than are average for the US. The main reason is competition, there are so many wood carvers here competing for the tourist dollar.  The fact that you have made a personal choice that you don't want to sell what you turn is fine.  Many of us need to sell what we produce. I don't a problem, the  market will decide what the value is for the works we produce.
Right now the market is not too darn friendly, too few visitors and those who do arrive are keeping their hands in their pockets.
It will change, the only constant is change.
Bob

IP Logged

Bob Wright

WR Rocks!

Consejo, Belize, Belize
Consejo, Belize
Belize

Reply #38 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 10:35pm

Well, I'm still thinking about this ,Dave. Having followed this board for some time now, one common thread is how hard folks work to produce the best they can. As a  result of their effort they are entitled to the best price possible for their work. I agree that there are things coming out of Asia and other areas at very low prices, but selling the cheapest stuff on the block is not usually the best business plan.
Bob

IP Logged

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #39 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 7:21am

The marker does determine price, but how many are willing to roll with the market?
I sell a very quality product and do have a rep for that. In my decision to cut all my prices I have lost a good share of the collectors market, but it is more then being made up for by the common market. To be totally honest, I don't give a rip if someone is able to show off or not because they have one of my items.
I think in many ways the prices we charge are a direct self value process. I am important enough to get "X" for my time.
I tend to view self value not in a monetary way. There was a time in my life when I had more money then brains and you know what I am happier now then I ever was then.
I do need my sales to provide for my family, and I was getting them at the higher prices. But, I am still getting them and perhaps someone elses family can eat a decent meal because I didn't charge them what I "could" get for an item.

Brad

IP Logged

George Carrigan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #40 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 12:31pm

Well my show in Buffalo turned out to be a disappointment. Sold 4 small pcs. Made the booth fee and paid for lunch (smoked turkey leg). Had a good time talking with the people and gave out 500 business cards. Heard a lot of "we love your stuff" but no sales. I'd like to mention that one reason I like to do the same shows every year is that sometimes if they can't afford a pc this year they may next year. George

IP Logged

Keith Larrett

WR Rocks!

Reply #41 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 5:50pm

George Carrigan wrote on Jun 18th, 2009 at 12:31pm:
and gave out 500 business cards

That's got to be worth something.  Getting your cards out there can only be a good thing.

IP Logged

Frank Denton

WR Rocks!

Reply #42 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 11:24am

Just finished a show in my hometown, a small show, about 4.5 hours from my current home. Sold six pieces before the show started (unpacking) another 28 during the 2 days. Haven't run the totals yet but roughly $2,200 on the 28 pieces sold during. The other six went to a gift shop so they don't count. Anyway most expensive, $395 a couple at 150 ea the balance were under $100. Opened the display with 86 pieces mostly natural edge bowls, platters. The expensive pieces that sold were all vases. First time that's ever happened. Was a good weekend. smiley=beer.gif

Frank D.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #43 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 11:55am

Well done Frank, that is wonderful news and testimony to your skill.

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #44 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 4:15pm

Fantastic Frank!!!!
You are obviously doing it right.

Brad

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4