washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
What are cookies
May 1st, 2009 at 8:26am

With the new install, I've noticed that the a majority of the problems people are having are with the cookies that are stored on their computer

What are cookies?
A "cookie" is a small piece of information sent by a web server to store in a web browser so it can later be read back from that browser.

What are they used for?

An example is when a browser stores your passwords and user ID's. They are also used to store preferences of start pages, pages that have already been read so the Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register button knows when to pop up and for the back button to go to the previous page.

Site Personalization.
This is one of the most beneficial uses, let's say a person want a special aviator or be notified of new PMs by email. Cookies allow people to select this as an option and the the information stored on thier computer. Forums differ on what information they store in a cookie.

User ID's.
In all browsers, the first part of the cookie is your log in name and password.

Security?
An HTTP Cookie cannot be used to get data from your hard drive, get your email address or steal sensitive information about your person. Early implementations of Java and JavaScript could allow people to do this but for the most part these security leaks have been plugged. But HTTP Cookie can be used to track where you travel over a particular site, This site tracking can be easily done without using cookies as well, using cookies just makes the tracking data a little more consistent.

Cookies_1.jpg
In the first image below you see the three cookies that this forum stores on your harddrive. There might be a few more for the gallery, TPT and the event calendar.

The very first thing you should do if you are having problems with this site is to clear these three cookies. Firefox allows you to pick and choose which cookie to delete.

Cookies_2.jpg
In the second image below you see that I have the two boxes check and keep my cookies until they expire. Some sites need to have the third party cookies to be enabled.

(These two images are from FireFox)

« Last Edit: May 1st, 2009 at 8:42am by Ron Sardo »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Cookies_1.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Cookies_2.jpg (Attachment deleted)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ken Ward
WR Noob

I Love WR

Re: What are cookies
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2009 at 10:07am

Ron,I have internet explorer and just go in to properties and delete history trail,cookies an temp files.Is this what your talkin about?

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #2 - May 1st, 2009 at 10:36am

Ken

In the last 5 years I only used IE once. I am not very familiar with that software.

Maybe someone who uses IE can answer your question.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Bob Wright

WR Rocks!

Consejo, Belize, Belize
Consejo, Belize
Belize

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 9:18pm

cookies are those little round things my wife makes, the chocolate chip ones are the best

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2009 at 1:02am

Look out, Chuckie keeps stealing them.  Cheesy Cheesy Cool Cool

JimQuarles

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print