Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Long winter over?my display (Read 1,706 times)

Bill Bolen
WR Addict

Missouri turner

Eureka, Missouri, USA
Eureka
Missouri
USA

Long winter over?my display
May 8th, 2009 at 10:04am

It has been a long hard winter for sales for me. I went into 2 new stores in late December as the other store was driven out of business. Sold 3 pieces the first day and then nothing for 4 months. The owner said I had a lot of admirers but not much of anything was selling for her and to just hang in there. Got an email from herthe other day with a pic of my display she had set up and the news that over half of my stuff had sold and could I come get a check!? So I called the second store and 4 pieces had sold over the weekend. Both of the owners wanted me to re-stock them. Is the end of this dead economy in sight? Gosh I sure hope so. ..I intended to put a pic of the store display in this post but darned if I could figure out how to do it...Bill.
And this is all that is left in the display. She had 46 pieces down to about 20 now Smiley
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2009 at 12:58am by Bill Bolen »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_0692.jpg (Attachment deleted)

2Ljunkie

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Re: Long winter over?my display
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2009 at 10:39am

That's great to hear Bill, especially after all the doom and gloom we have been subjected to daily in the media.

Is the economy recovering?  Like everywhere, we have been hit hard too but there are signs that the economy has somewhat stabilised and that people are beginning to become a little more confident.  Anecdotal evidence would suggest that people generally tightened their belts whether through necessity or precaution and discovered that they could cut expenditure by careful buying and, most importantly, making do with what they had.  Cars sales collapsed here and dealers were in dire straits, even Mercedes were sweating and their dealership in town was offering a 'buy one get one free' deal a few weeks ago.  My mate, who is an independent car mechanic, told me he has never been busier because people are scared of their car breaking down and are making sure it runs so that they can still get to work.  He also told me that people who would never have driven a car over three years old (3 years is when the first Gov test takes place) are now putting their cars through the test to get another year or more out of them.  With all the cut-backs people are making they are discovering that they can actually afford to spend money and not cripple their domestic budget so there is a slight improvement in retail sales.  Saying that, the base interest rate here is 0.5% so money is cheap to buy but people are being canny and watching trends before making big decisions.  Overall, retailers I have spoken to are less worried than they were a few months ago.

Sorry this is so long, I got a bit carried away there.

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2009 at 12:13pm

Not at all, Bre.  You made your statement well.  It is good to know that the world economy is starting to turn.  I hope it continues, but not too fast.  If the turn around is too fast it can throw us right back into a suppressed economic state, which of course could put directly into a depression like we've never seen. 
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2009 at 2:28pm

My pen sales are up this year as well, over $900 so far.  I haven't done any shows yet this year.  Several purchases were by people who had seen pens I sold at the retirement community before Christmas last year.  Demand is nice.

JimQuarles

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2009 at 2:56pm

Bill,
If you can e-mail me the pics I'll post them for you no problem. You got my e-mail address.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Ken Ward
WR Noob

I Love WR

Reply #5 - May 8th, 2009 at 5:43pm

WTG on your sales there Bill.  smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif
Nothing personal,but I'm glad I ain't the only one that can't post a pic here  bang head bang head bang head

IP Logged

Bill Bolen
WR Addict

Missouri turner

Eureka, Missouri, USA
Eureka
Missouri
USA

Reply #6 - May 8th, 2009 at 7:20pm

I never could find the "attachment" button to select a photo. Oh well, old age I guess bang head bang head...Bill...
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2009 at 7:20pm by Bill Bolen »  

2Ljunkie

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #7 - May 8th, 2009 at 7:53pm

That is great news Bill, glad to see things are picking up for you and you others, I haven't been in the shop making nothing lately except for the C&T, but I guess its time to start the little lathe up and get ready for the Oct show.

Congrads Bill, hope you have more success and good lick! smiley=thumbsup.gif

Wizzy

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #8 - May 8th, 2009 at 10:50pm

things are lookin up.  sales at the Lowes i work at are up over last year.  i think people are doing more repairs themselves and relying less on professionals.  both good and bad, some can do the work, others will still have to have a pro come in and fix their repair. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #9 - May 8th, 2009 at 11:06pm

Well, I was going to give you some detail on where the "attachment" slot was, but guess what, I just found that we have yet another bug in this section.  There is no attachment slot.  I'll let Ron know about that.  Sorry guys.  We'll have it fixed soon.
CoolRev. Doug Miller Edit In:  It is now fixed.  The attachment slot is the next line directly under the line of smileys.  The default is for only 1 attachment.  You can increase the number up to 4 by clicking on the + next to "Attachments".  Try it and see.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2009 at 11:21pm by Rev. Doug Miller »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Bowls_009__600_x_450_.jpg (Attachment deleted)

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Bill Bolen
WR Addict

Missouri turner

Eureka, Missouri, USA
Eureka
Missouri
USA

Reply #10 - May 9th, 2009 at 12:52am

Thanks Rev. Having done this attachment thing before with no trouble I thought that old timers disease had hit me...Bill.. Grin

2Ljunkie

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #11 - May 9th, 2009 at 3:24am

That's good news to hear, Bill. Nice-looking display, too.  smiley=thumbsup.gif