Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Facebook page... (Read 3,986 times)

Tim Jackson

a FAN for Christ

Facebook page...
May 11th, 2009 at 8:10pm

Trying an unusual (i think??) marketing idea.  Started a facebook page for my turnings.  This is the link:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Let me know what you think of it.  I recieved an order for two pens from afriend on the first day of it being up!!

I also paid for a pay per click ad to run this weekend, I will let you know how that goes as well!!

Any feedback welcome!!!

Tim

an ex-Army Turner
1 Cor 1:27....  my life verse!!  Smiley  for I am foolish and weak....
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/timeles  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Re: Facebook page...
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2009 at 8:25pm

Very nice and I see you have a good selection, Love the darts, they turned out well. Hope you do good and best of luck!!!

Wizzy

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2009 at 9:07pm

Looks like you're off to a great start.  Pretty soon you'll have enough saved up to upgrade from that Crapsman and do some REAL turning.   Grin  Cheesy

Just kidding Tim, Good Luck!
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2009 at 9:08pm by Leo Frilot »  

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Jeff McDonald

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2009 at 9:27pm

Great Idea!!!  Another opportunity for more people to see your work.  I like it.
Jeff

Jeff McDonald
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #4 - May 12th, 2009 at 11:43am

I'm on another forum (we all own the same type of business) that has had a lengthy discussion about Facebook, twitter, LinkedIn and other venues of this type.

We where about evenly split if networking like this really works to bring in business.

The one question that made the most sense to me was "What type of customer are you attaching on MySpace? Do they really make purchases?"

I personally believe a website is the best thing for self promotion.

Here is a video that was offered that made some sense.

Tim, I'm not saying you are going in the wrong direction.
I'm actually very curious to see if this type of social networking brings in buyers.
Please keep us up to date on any progress.
You very well may be on the cutting edge.

IP Logged

Tim Jackson

a FAN for Christ

Reply #5 - May 12th, 2009 at 12:58pm

well-  The main reason I did it is because it is free and fast and easy.  I lot of the people I spoke to at the show wanted to order and not buy now.  I can't afford the money or the time to do a website right now, and was already on facebook.  I figured hey--  lets try this!!  It at least gives me a place to tell people to go to see my work and be able to order if they wish.  I willbe getting a website, it is just in the future.  I will definitely keep everyone informed as to how it goes!!

Tim

an ex-Army Turner
IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #6 - May 13th, 2009 at 11:50pm

That's a good-looking start, Tim. Like Ron said, I'm interested to see how this does for you.

As far as feedback, I clicked through a few of your product pics, and some of the photos don't really do your nice work justice. Several in particular were out of focus or had backgrounds that were sort of distracting (taking the viewer's eyes off your work). Since they are the main link between your customers and your products, the better your pics, the better your sales will likely be.  Wink

IP Logged

Don Carter
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #7 - May 14th, 2009 at 12:07am

Tim:
I just started a free website at MS Office Live. Here is the link: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This is just a hobby for me, but my friends and relatives wanted to see what I was doing. I decided to set this site up and offer items for sale. You can even put PayPal buttons on it. I just have done it yet. I have just started so it is not very professional. Maybe this might be a idea for you.

Now, driving traffic to you site is another problem. If you figure that one out, please let me know. Wink

All the best.

Don

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Tim Jackson

a FAN for Christ

Reply #8 - May 14th, 2009 at 9:10am

Thanks!!!  I just started one!!  I will post a link when I get it up and going!!!

That's what I love about this place!! The sharing of ideas!!

smiley=dankk2.gif

Tim

an ex-Army Turner
IP Logged

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #9 - May 14th, 2009 at 9:13am

Like the others I am interested in knowing what kind of responce you get to this.
Like Vaughn, I think some of your photos were distracting and out of focus. You have great signage, however I found my self trying to read the signs rather then looking at your items.
You have some beautiful items there, show them off. I saw some place on here a whole section on photographing items. It was a great help to me.
Good luck I hope this works for you
Brad

IP Logged

Ken Ferrell

WR Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2009 at 6:34pm

I like the guy in the You tube videos approach, seems pretty spot on, I know I'd rather talk about fun stuff rather than bore  someone that really doesn't care about what I do for a living, I mean sure I like making Pens and stuff, or that I worked in Tool and Die shops for 40 years just how many people do you think would be interested out of a group of 50.
Now depending on the area talk about the local sporting teams and see how many peoples attention you can hold.
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2009 at 6:35pm by Ken Ferrell »  

Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it. &&&&Henry Ford
IP Logged

Tim Jackson

a FAN for Christ

Reply #11 - Aug 16th, 2009 at 9:29pm

Well--  After much waiting, I have 2 firsts in the same week!!! 

I received my first order for a custom made pen and
I reached over 100 fans!!

I am researching websites...  Urrggghhh...  so complex and annoying...  domain names/hosting/design software--  so hard to get what I want and get it within my budget....  Trying Office Live but having problems making it a retail store.....  my first attempt is here--  still very much in the construction stages-- 

What I want is something like these:

all of which don't have free hosting add ons in the domain name....

O welll--  I will get there...

an ex-Army Turner
IP Logged

Rodolfo Ceballos

WR Rocks!!!

Reply #12 - Aug 16th, 2009 at 11:17pm

If it is any help I use both godaddy and webs.com for 2 websites that I maintain.  They are for a music ensemble that I hire out and my own website to promote my compositions.  Both are not too bad in cost and provide many services that make it really easy to build your site.  The final product is not as nice as paying a webdesigner to do a site but it is good and can be made to look very nice.  A top of the line website can run in the hundreds if not higher.  These are about $100 to start and around 20 per month depending on what features and package you get.  They also offer traffic driving software to get your website to appear in searches but I found that the one through godaddy was not that great so I dont use the traffic feature anymore.  I know both companies offer store and paypal features.  With their building software it can be really easy and convenient. 

Hope that could offer some help.
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2009 at 11:18pm by Rodolfo Ceballos »  

Rodolfo
http://facebook.com/tizoc1  
IP Logged

Chuck Bryant
WR Noob

This is really fun stuff!

Reply #13 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 12:43am

Setting up a website is not an easy task. Having a professional do it for you can be cost prohibitive. As for doing it yourself, the available options and resources are many. Trying to figure out which one is the "best" can drive you insane. You just have to make the best choice that you can and go for it. But as far as I am concerned, the biggest problem of all is getting the traffic to your site once you have it functional. Now that my website is up, I need to spend some time researching marketing techniques and come up with ways to get the traffic to my site. They don't buy what they don't see.

Chuck
WWW Chuck Bryant Chuck Bryant  
IP Logged

Tim Jackson

a FAN for Christ

Reply #14 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 10:47am

What I need is to find one of you guys who have an awesome website and get you to e-mail your shell so all I have to do is change the names and numbers and add my pics...

Anyone interested in Helphing a poor unemployed guy like me out?????

Tim   Grin

an ex-Army Turner
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print