Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Grey/Gray photo background (Read 1,219 times)

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Grey/Gray photo background
May 17th, 2009 at 8:15pm

I am trying to find those grey backgrounds I see being used here but I am having no luck, all I get is 30' x 20' size and the like that would be slightly too big.

Could someone put me on the right path please?

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Re: Grey/Gray photo background
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2009 at 8:53pm

Hi, Brendan:
The background I use was purchased here:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I bought the #39, neutral gray to white in 31" x 43" size.  It is a washable vinyl material, not paper as the URL suggests.

Good Luck!
Bob

IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2009 at 10:37pm

Great Bob,

Thank you.

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2009 at 9:43pm

I got mine at B-H Photo...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I have the 31" x 43" studio gray, and trimmed the width a bit to fit it into my photo cube. Thunder gray is also a nice one for lighter-colored pieces. Mine's gotten scratched and stained a bit (thank goodness for Photoshop) so I'll eventually replace it. I have a bigger photo cube (48" x 48") that I need a backdrop for, so I'll be needing the 43" x 63" model next time.

On a budget, you can make your own gradient background image* in something like Photoshop or Illustrator, save it as the biggest JPG file you can handle, then take it to Kinko's (or the UK equivalent if you don't have them) and have it printed on their large format inkjet or laser printer.

* If you'd like me to whip one up, I could.

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2009 at 4:36am

This thread gives me a question.
How do you know what color to get? I went to the site that Bob posted & they have a bunch of colors why fade to white? why not a single color? When would a darker color be preferred over a lighter one?

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

John West

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2009 at 2:02pm

I just use a monotone grey piece of poster paper with the piece to be photograped on the bottom part and then the paper curved up behind the piece supported by a wall.  That seems to work well for me.  What I need to figure out is how to adjust the color in my digital camera.  I know my pics come out in a color not quite correct because the grey background doesn't always look grey in the photo.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #6 - May 19th, 2009 at 2:41pm

Vaughn, thanks for the offer but for now I enlisted my daughter's help and asked her to make a grey/white fading background like the one Bob mentioned and she sent me a file that I printed out so that will keep me going for a while until I sort out this whole photography thing because I am ashamed of my C&T photo so something needs to be done.

I could well be coming back to you later.

IP Logged

Keith Larrett

WR Rocks!

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2009 at 3:13pm

John West wrote on May 19th, 2009 at 2:02pm:
I just use a monotone grey piece of poster paper with the piece to be photograped on the bottom part and then the paper curved up behind the piece supported by a wall.  That seems to work well for me.  What I need to figure out is how to adjust the color in my digital camera.  I know my pics come out in a color not quite correct because the grey background doesn't always look grey in the photo.  Embarrassed

You need to set your white balance.  If you can do it manually then get yourself a white balance card.  I use this one.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 

Your camera might be slightly different, but what I do is place the card under the lighting conditions in which I am going to shoot the work piece.  Then I push and hold the WB button on my camera, frame and focus on the wb card and take a picture of it.  Any subsequent shots taken will be referenced to that.

If you can't set your wb manually, then there are probably a bunch of different options that will do it for you automatically.  You would see various symbols for either fluorescent light, sunlight, tungsten light etc.  Choose the one that is closest to the conditions you are shooting under.

Hope that helps.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
John West

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - May 19th, 2009 at 5:33pm

Thanks Keith,  I'll try that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print