DIY Trend Battery Pack (Read 956 times)

WinsorWoods
WR Addict

I don't need a Snappy
Slogan, Junior's got
a tatoo

DIY Trend Battery Pack
May 23rd, 2009 at 7:55pm

I found a .pdf for a trend battery pack that you make yourself.  I have all the parts except the battery cradles to make my own which will utilize AA rechargable batteries.

Before I place my order, I was wondering if there was interest in anyone else wanting extra battery packs.  Here's the situation:

I can make the battery pack cradle that will plug into the Trend Airshield.  You would have to buy your own AA batteries and charger (available at places like Wally World, Radio Shack, etc.)

Today I bought a charger (takes 2 hours for recharge) that came with 4 AA batteries and I bought another 4 AA NiMH batteries.  All batteries are rated at 2100mAh (milli-Amp-hours)  This is about 2 times the capacity of the "stock" airshield batteries.  Basically, I'll be able to run the Airshield for twice as long with these batteries (2100 mAH).  With two battery packs in the airshield, this will give about 16 hours of operation on one charge.  They make batteries up to about 2500 mAH.

So the 8 batteries and 2 hour smart charger ran me about $40, the equivalent to one trend battery.  Each battery pack needs three AA batteries.  So you can have some charging while you're using the shields.

I need to order the battery cradle holders and I'll make up a batch of them that will fit the airshields.  I would be happy to make up extra cradles for folks.  You'd be responsible for finding your own AA rechargable batteries and chargers. 

If anyone is interested, they'll probably run about $4-$5 per cradle (plus shipping).  They'll hold your AA batteries and fit the airshield.

Dan

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those that understand binary numbers and those who don't.
WWW 453230839 winsorwoods Toucan455  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Re: DIY Trend Battery Pack
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2009 at 9:40pm

AA size batteries are to large to fit in the Trend.  Their battery packs are sized like AAA batteries.  I already looked at that.  What I did was buy the 3-AA cradle from Radio Shack and a plug that fits the socket in the trend.  I will connect about a 4' wire between them and drop the battery pack in my pocket. 

JimQuarles

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

WinsorWoods
WR Addict

I don't need a Snappy
Slogan, Junior's got
a tatoo

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2009 at 10:06pm

Hey Jim,

AA batteries are too large for the CRADLE that is proprietary to Trend battery packs.  AA batterieswill fit in the Trend you just have to use a different cradle.  I just went and re-verified that.  The AA 3-cell cradle will have ample room in the battery space.  The adapter plug will be on a 2"-3" wire lead so you plug in the cradle and then fit the cradle in the space. 

Dan
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2009 at 10:08pm by WinsorWoods »  

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those that understand binary numbers and those who don't.
IP Logged

WinsorWoods
WR Addict

I don't need a Snappy
Slogan, Junior's got
a tatoo

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2009 at 10:14pm

JimQuarles wrote on May 23rd, 2009 at 9:40pm:
What I did was buy the 3-AA cradle from Radio Shack and a plug that fits the socket in the trend. 
JimQuarles

Just for information...Radio Shack does NOT sell a 3 Cell AA battery cradle.  (I have to order them from online through a different vendor) (A 4 cell AA won't fit) They Sell a 1 cell, 2 Cell, 4 cell, and 8 cell, but NOT a 3 Cell.  They do sell a 3 Cell AAA battery cradle but not a 3 Cell AA cradle.

Dan

IP Logged

WinsorWoods
WR Addict

I don't need a Snappy
Slogan, Junior's got
a tatoo

Success!!
Reply #4 - May 30th, 2009 at 4:04pm

I received the AA battery cradles and soldered the connections.  I loaded them up with batteries plugged them in.  They fit in the Airshield and work perfectly.  This will be a great modification for the Trend that will allow me to run the shield continuously for 16 hours. I'll also be able to recharge my batteries in 2 hours using the charger that came with the AA batteries.  Needless to say, a huge improvement over the proprietary batteries.

Dan
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2009 at 4:13pm by Ron Sardo »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 2009-05-30-Trend-battery-pack-_001-800.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 2009-05-30-Trend-battery-pack-_002-800.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 2009-05-30-Trend-battery-pack-_003-800.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #5 - May 30th, 2009 at 4:29pm

Nicely done, Dan. I'll file this away for future reference. I've got 4 Trend battery packs and two chargers, so I'm pretty well set for now, but when these packs start dying, I'll be looking at making my own replacements.  smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

GeorgeH
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 30th, 2009 at 6:12pm

You're paying too much Dan.  I bought the four AA cradle from RS, modified it to hold the three AAs in series, bought a cheep charger at one of those 99c stores and my total cost came to less than ten bucks; plus rechargeable batteries.

IP Logged

Bill Beck

Reply #7 - May 30th, 2009 at 8:01pm

I think I approached this a bit different from you folks.  I went to Radio shack and purchased 2 jacks, 1 to fit into the face sheild conected by some scrap charger wire to the other jack which fits into the trend charger.  I can now use the face shield full time with out a battery OR charge it up.  If you wish I'll try to post a pic of the setup.

IP Logged

WinsorWoods
WR Addict

I don't need a Snappy
Slogan, Junior's got
a tatoo

Reply #8 - May 30th, 2009 at 10:51pm

Quote:
You're paying too much Dan.  I bought the four AA cradle from RS, modified it to hold the three AAs in series, bought a cheep charger at one of those 99c stores and my total cost came to less than ten bucks; plus rechargeable batteries.

The $20 I spent on the charger was for a high quality "smart" charger that will not overcharge the batteries. It auto shuts off when completely charged and can "trickle" charge from that point on.  I'm curious as to what mAH rating are on the batteries that you bought?  I spent more on the higher rating so they last longer between charges. 

I just didn't want to run out of juice during a session and now that I can go 16 hours, I won't have any worries. 

Dan

IP Logged

WinsorWoods
WR Addict

I don't need a Snappy
Slogan, Junior's got
a tatoo

Reply #9 - May 30th, 2009 at 10:55pm

Bill Beck wrote on May 30th, 2009 at 8:01pm:
I think I approached this a bit different from you folks.  I went to Radio shack and purchased 2 jacks, 1 to fit into the face sheild conected by some scrap charger wire to the other jack which fits into the trend charger.  I can now use the face shield full time with out a battery OR charge it up.  If you wish I'll try to post a pic of the setup.

Interesting idea.  It sounds like a great solution too.  I haven't looked yet but what is the voltage that the charger puts out?  I suppose it would be just a bit higher than the 3.6 that the battery pack puts out.  It's a nice deal if you have an outlet nearby and don't mind being tethered, or don't need to walk around.

Dan

IP Logged

John West

WR Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jun 4th, 2009 at 1:22pm

Dan, could you share the pdf?  Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print