Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Turning a tool handle (Read 7,673 times)

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Turning a tool handle
Jun 9th, 2009 at 12:51am

I needed a handle for a new 1/2" spindle gouge so I ran the camera while I was making it.  If you want to be able to view in full screen mode the playlist is at:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take care
Bob

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Steve Bistritz
WR Addict

Harrington Park, New Jersey, USA
Harrington Park
New Jersey
USA

Re: Turning a tool handle
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 8:13pm

Thanks so much Bob, really appreciate the effort you put into these. Your videos really save me alot of "staring at the lathe scratching my head " time. smiley=dankk2.gif  smiley=thumbsup.gif  smilies=bowdown
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2009 at 8:15pm by Steve Bistritz »  

So many interests,so little time.........

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 4:56am

Another great job, Bob.  smiley=thumbsup.gif Thanks for taking the time and making the effort. Your production quality is much better than a lot of the turning videos out there.

BTW, I've noticed that the actor in all your videos has a Canadian accent, eh? What's that all aboot?  Grin (I have no room to talk. My accent is a hodgepodge of surfer boy/redneck/geek with a dash of Spanish tossed in for good measure.)  Roll Eyes  Cheesy

Keep up the good work.   Wink
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2009 at 5:01am by Vaughn McMillan »  
IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 4:18pm

Enjoyed it very much, thanks for taking the time to do this! smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

Wizzy

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 5:12pm

Excellent Bob, Thanks!

IP Logged

Skip Evans
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 10:56am

Hello Bob,
  I have really enjoyed your videos. I download them so I can watch multiple times when doing projects. How do you like your tool rest? It appears to put the fulcrum closer to the work than the normal tool rest. Is the curve in the rest shallow enough so your hands are not rubbing the rest?

IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2009 at 2:07pm

Thanks, all.

Skip, I do prefer the shape of the Oneway rest over the Nova rest.  It does move the fulcrum closer to the work and the top surface is angled so shavings slide off.  The Nova rest that I have (hopefully they have re-designed it) has the top surface flat so shavings tended to pile up and not fall off on their own.  The large Oneway rest is also about 2" longer than my Nova rest which comes in handy sometimes.  I don't notice any problem with the curve.  It provides a nice smooth surface to run my knuckle along when I am trying to turn a straight surface and doesn't get in the way when I am turning curves. 
The main reason I bought the Oneway rests is because there is some offset forward of the tool post.  The Oneway banjo is solid as a rock but all that extra thickness around the tool post hole sometimes gets in the way. 

Take care
Bob

IP Logged

Bob_Macgregor

Round wood.  Sharp steel.

Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 9:22am

Bob,
Another great video.   The only thing I saw that I would have done differently, would have been to use a spare ferrule to help seat the first one.    That was a nice-looking mallet, by the way.

BOB

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Greg Knudtson
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 2:23pm

Thanks bob for the great videos, I missed what type of glue you are using to put the gouge into the handle.

Greg Knudtson  
IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #9 - Sep 25th, 2009 at 6:39pm

Hi, Greg:
I used medium cyanoacrylate on this one, but I have also used 5 minute epoxy on some.  It seems to be holding up fine.

Take care
Bob

IP Logged

Steve Rollinson

If you're like me, and
I know I am...

Gifu, Japan
Gifu
Japan

Reply #10 - Jul 6th, 2012 at 8:22pm

Thank you for that!!

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way" -Mark Twain ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print