Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Non Linier Gizmo for introduction of the curviness (Read 3,658 times)

Walt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Non Linier Gizmo for introduction of the curviness
Jun 20th, 2009 at 9:32am

How's that for a title?  Took me a while to think of that.  OK!  From another thread I was requested to show how I made the overlapping scrolls.  I started out with 3/4" MDF to make 4 templates.  Also 3 stacks of 30 pieces of contrasting wood, Lyptus, Walnut and Paduck.  Each piece is 2"x2"x3/8".  From my drawing I determined that I needed a 4" diameter arc for the scrolls.  From doing many years of flat work, as most of us have, I know any imperfection in the template would be transferred to my wood.  So after cutting the arc's on a band saw I sanded them using a drum sander and by hand to finesse the curves on all four pieces.  They have to be perfect!  I then added support strips and a holding clamp so every piece will be cut in the same place every time.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 90_pieces.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Template_1_001.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Template_2_001.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Walt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Re: Non Linier Gizmo for introduction of the curviness
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 9:44am

Then it a matter of drawing the first arc's on all the pieces and cut close to them with a scroll saw.  Once all the pieces are cut it is time to route the pieces using the templates.  Then clean each piece of clingons and glue them all up.  I made a glue jig for that.  I held each glued up piece for about 30 second to let the glue set and then taped them up.  No clamps just tape pulled tight.  Note.  The segmented plexi-glass thing my LOML gave for Christmas 5 years ago finally got used, as a clean work surface.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register saw_1.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register first_cut.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register gluing.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Taped.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Walt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 9:54am

Once all the pieces are dried the process starts all over but using the other two templates.  Which have the supports relocated about 5/16" south.  Then they are cut on the scroll saw, routed, cleaned and glued up in the same manner.  When done I end up with what you see in picture #2 below. 

Then the process starts all over two more times only the pieces are flipped to get the arc's going in the opposite direction.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register arc_1.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 1arc1.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register arc_2.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register arc22.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Walt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 10:07am

When done you end up with pic #1 below.  Then cut the pieces with the require angel and glue up pairs, quads, halfs and the whole thing.  Then glue it to the bowl and Wa La!  Hope that explains it for you.  It was quite an undertaking but I think it was well worth it.  I've got another design rolling around in my head.  One of these days I'll put it to wood!

Walt

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register rim_1.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register rim2.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register rim3.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register rim_4.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Keith Larrett

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 12:25pm

Thanks for the explanation and pictures!  Very impressive work.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 1:45pm

Walt,

PERFECT Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

many thanks.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Walt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 2:15pm

You are welcome!

IP Logged

Steve Frederick

An idle mind..the best
way to relax..

Reply #7 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 2:25pm

Wow! That's amazing!
Beautiful! smilies=bowdown smilies=bowdown

Blessings, Steve (Rondacker)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 5:58pm

Thanks Walt!

TPT > Woodturning Projects & Techniques > Segmented Turning

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 8:03pm

That is Sooooooooooooooo  Cooooooooooool!!!

Thanks Walt!!!

Wizzy

IP Logged

Ken Ward
WR Noob

I Love WR

Reply #10 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 10:06pm

DANG boy you has been a busy feller.Fantastic tutorial.Thanks for takin the time to do it.  smiley=beer.gif smiley=beer.gif

IP Logged

Shannon Shanks

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 10:56pm

Spectacular title. I'm amazed nobody commented on it. I mean...that bowl is amazing, but the TITLE!! Smiley

Thanks for going though the tutorial. Maybe someday I'll have the patience to do it, but there's a reason I don't quilt.

IP Logged

Walt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #12 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 9:25am

Thanks to everyone!  I am glad I am able to give back to those I learn so much from.  If I can do this anyone can,  give it a try.  You'll like it.

IP Logged

Keith Larrett

WR Rocks!

Reply #13 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 10:16am

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures Walt.  Your work is very inspiring.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #14 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 12:03pm

Thank you sir!!   The process add clarity to the opportunity.  Skillful execution.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print