Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First show, what a great time!! (Read 1,852 times)

Don Leydens

WR Rocks!

First show, what a great time!!
Aug 16th, 2009 at 7:29am

Had my first show this Friday and Saturday. Man, it was a BLAST! Small venue, only 11 vendors. None the less, sold 9 pieces for over $500.00 (hope that wasn't tacky), and now have tons of contacts and other shows to go to. A mix of items from 49 to 120 bucks were sold. Even had a pair of shop/gallery owners approach me to sell in their gallery. I already have the contract.

This was the first time anyone has ever seen my work (other than photos in my intro thread), and it was so encouraging to get all the feedback. So uplifting, it's hard to explain.

The other vendors were extremely helpful and the whole experience was more fun than I've had in a long time.

Can't wait to get back on the lathe!

Thanks for your support guys,
Don L.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Re: First show, what a great time!!
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2009 at 9:53am

Excellent Don, this is superb news.

Well done.

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Ken Ward
WR Noob

I Love WR

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2009 at 10:01am

WTG,but after seeing those pics on here of your work,that doesn't surprise meat all.Hope this will be the begining of a great venture for you.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2009 at 5:56pm

smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Don Leydens

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2009 at 6:04pm

Thanks so much guys. What a great experience.

The Gallery that I'll be in charges $25.00 a month and 10% of the sale. Is that a normal way of doing this? I thought it was very reasonable, but I've never done this before. They also changed the 6 month minimum "rent" to a monthly basis for me. They also took out the "last month up front" clause for me. I didn't like that either.

I start chemo on Tuesday, so I can't do any more shows for 8 months because of the risk of infections (colds) that could quickly turn to pneumonia (and worse), so I'd like to hit some more galleries and see what happens. This way I won't be around people much (bummer).

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks for your comments! I'm still on a Craft Fair high!

Don L.

IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2009 at 6:58pm

Don,

I know nothing about galleries but on the chemo and isolation thing...maybe that's not all bad because you can justify as much shop time as you are able for and won't have distractions that could pull you away from your work so it could be very productive.

And on the chemo - best wishes for that, I hope all goes according to plan.

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Don Leydens

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2009 at 7:49pm

Yea Brendan, lots of lathe time coming up! I bet I'll learn allot during that time and become a much better turner. I used to work about 70 to 90 hours a week before my business went south because of the economy. I used to say "so much wood (I have LOTS), so little time". Now I'll have all the time I need, and plan to get a real nice stock pile of finished work.

If Social Security actually comes through, plus the turning sales, I'll be able to keep the house (and shop!). Then I'll be set, and turn any time I want. I'm looking forward to it.

I mean, who's going to win, a little chemo, or a 6' 1", 225 lb. guy with a very large Powermatic lathe? ....lathe wins!!!!

Good times are coming!

Don L.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 12:29am

congrats on your fine weekend. smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

keep up the positive attitude and you and the chemo will beat the cancer.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Terence Rice
WR Addict

One good turn is addictive.

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 9:43am

I don't know the type or quality of the gallery you are talking about but that is extremely reasonable. I am paying $100/mo. and 40% of sales.

TD

How did all these wood shavings get on my shop floor?

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #9 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 9:50am

The % of sales is not unusual at all.  I've heard of %'s from 10% up to 60%.  Doesn't mean anything, but I've not heard of a monthly fee before.  Are you getting a booth area of your own for that?  How many pieces can you have in there for that monthly fee?  Are they insuring your work in some way?  Are they placing your work and will they keep it out of direct sunlight?  Still a lot of questions that need to be answered. 
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #10 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 10:55am

WTG Don, nicely done, glad you had a great time and thing turned out well for you. Now... don't over due it and wear yourself down and do what the doctors tell you and you will come out smelling like a rose, Congrads on your sales and Good luck on your up coming treatments, we're pulling for you!

Wizzy

IP Logged

Don Leydens

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 11:34am

Rev. Doug Miller wrote on Aug 17th, 2009 at 9:50am:
The % of sales is not unusual at all.  I've heard of %'s from 10% up to 60%.  Doesn't mean anything, but I've not heard of a monthly fee before.  Are you getting a booth area of your own for that?  How many pieces can you have in there for that monthly fee?  Are they insuring your work in some way?  Are they placing your work and will they keep it out of direct sunlight?  Still a lot of questions that need to be answered. 
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Yea, Rev, it's for a 5" long glass shelf out of direct sunlight and all items are insured. It's a classy place and they seem very organized and trustworthy. As many pieces as I want and they'll make up a Bio and small placards for each piece.

Made a nice piece yesterday that still needs several coats of finish. I'll post it in the gallery when it's done.

Thanks again guys!!!
Don

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #12 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 6:54am

Congrats on a very successful show, Don. (And hi...I didn't get a chance to say hello in your welcome thread.) They are a lot of fun, huh? Chances are, some will make good money, some won't make much at all, but if they're fun, they're all worth it. I'll be starting my third year of shows next month, and they're still fun. (Some of the other guys here have been doing it much longer than me.)

I don't have much gallery experience, but I've not heard of a place charging "rent" for display space. But I've also not heard of any with a commission as low as 10%. Around here it seems 40% and up is the norm. (But I've not researched it real deeply yet. That's something I need to do.) With shows and galleries both, the local trends play a big part. The show crowds and fees, as well as gallery commissions, vary from region to region.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #13 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 8:18am

It might be a good idea to find out up front what the gallery does in case of theft or damage.

Here is a copy of a consignment contract in a word doc file. Take a look at it when you have time.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Good Luck on the Chemo.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2009 at 8:20am by Ron Sardo »  

IP Logged

Don Leydens

WR Rocks!

Reply #14 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 7:51pm

I'm very much looking forward to more shows, The super hot outdoor ones will be a little l-o-n-g I suppose, but who said life was easy.

Thanks for the contract pic. I like that one allot. Seems to cover it all while being fairly short and thorough.

Don

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print