Norbert Dupas
WR Addict

Oakbank, Manitoba, Canada
Oakbank
Manitoba
Canada

Bowl shapes
Aug 17th, 2009 at 4:12pm

I often wonder when I'm standing at the lathe, what shape to give my bowl.  Eventually I just start turning and when the "junk" is removed and the piece is round, I usually follow it's shape and round here and there tilll I have some sort of shape to my bowl. 

Do you guys have some kindof guide you follow when making your bowl-shape?  I wish I had more variety, but my knowledge of bowl-shapes is limited.  OR do you guys stick to one shape, that's done you fine for years?  I find that most of my pieces are not exciting shape-wise.
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2009 at 4:13pm by Norbert Dupas »  

...Bert

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Re: Bowl shapes
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 4:15pm

I'm not crazy, I listen to what the wood says.  And take it from there.  There are some chunks that you will never make it do what you want. 

JimQuarles

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 4:47pm

Hi Bert,

I have the same problem, I can't 'see' what's inside the wood.  However, I know where I made one mistake that really affected my designs - when I had roughed the blank to get to stable wood I then tried to make a bowl according to the shape that resulted from the roughing because I didn't want to cut away 'good wood' and I was always trying to maximise the bowl size.

Now, when I rough a blank I forget about the search for all the stable wood and just cut a basic shape that is fairly well in proportion until I get to all stable wood.  At that stage I have my basic bowl shape and just make refining cuts.

I have found that the simpler I keep my designs the better the results I get.  Some day I will maybe be able to turn stuff that I admire on here but I remind myself that the 'superturners' weren't making those exquisite bowls at the very start of their woodturning journey.

It's all about patience and experience - and I have very little of either.

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

GeorgeH
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 5:09pm

A couple of years ago I got stuck on formulas for bowl making.  The base was supposed to be a certain percentage of the diameter and the height, relative to a raised base if the bowl was turned with a base extension, and the base height relative to the overall height was likewise supposed to be a certain percentage.  It was, the literature said, important to use these formulas to achieve a bowl that represented the best in art form.  Hogwash ...
I tossed out the literature and started letting the wood tell me what it wanted to be.  I'm happier, the wood is happier, and I have less paper filling my file cabinet.
Of course, my bowls probably wouldn't win an prize in some art exhibit.  But I turn for pleasure, not profit or ego.  So that's not important to my turning experience.

IP Logged

Steve Bistritz
WR Addict

Harrington Park, New Jersey, USA
Harrington Park
New Jersey
USA

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 5:44pm

I try to "become one with the wood" and see where that gets me, or I just listen to my wife Grin Grin Grin

So many interests,so little time.........

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 6:09pm

Steve Bistritz wrote on Aug 17th, 2009 at 5:44pm:
I try to "become one with the wood" and see where that gets me, or I just listen to my wife Grin Grin Grin

Steve,
Smart man. Do you give lessons I could use some.  Grin

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Roger_Smith
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

North Alabama, Alabama, USA
North Alabama
Alabama
USA

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 7:14pm

I tried to get the maximum size bowl out of the blank when I first started.  Now, I try to balance the bowl by making the pit of the tree run through the center bowl, either the bottom or the rim.  I am kind of an Allstate person in my bowls and try to make the curve fit the hands.  If the bowl is for use, I try to leave the foot 1/3 or larger to the diameter for stability.  If it is intended for art work, then I leave the foot smaller than that and elevated.  I will usually turn a flat rim on real shallow bowls and platters.

I always make the inside contour follow the outside shape.  Sometimes I find something in the wood as I turn that will effect the size, but not usually the shape.

If you attempt to be acceptable to all people, then you are special to none.
WWW overtrim1 http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=profile&  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 7:41pm

Go to a store where they specialize in high end glass and ceramic kitchenware. Walk over to where the have bowls. Look around and find what you like and copy it.  Also, look at what you don't like and figure out why you don't like it and try to avoid copying that shape.

Be prepared to get some strange looks. damhikt

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Darren Jones

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 8:02pm

I try to replicate good shapes that I like but some how I do what the wood wants to do.

IP Logged

Bob Wright

WR Rocks!

Consejo, Belize, Belize
Consejo, Belize
Belize

Reply #9 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 10:20pm

I agree with letting the wood " tell' yo what to do.
But there are also any number of books on bowl design, with some great ideas.
Also, look at what the master turners do, not the real arty stuff but the basic bowls that they turn.
This is one place where it's OK to steal [an idea] especially if you do it better

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 1:18am

I just cut everything off that doesn't look like a bowl. Grin

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #11 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 6:26am

For me, the shape is dictated by the blank. If there's a prominent feature to the wood, I'll try to highlight it if possible. Just tonight I was roughing a piece of walnut, figuring all along it would be a platter. After I got a little ways into the wood, I saw some great crotch figure, so I did a hollow form instead. Bowls are the same way...I may be thinking of one shape when I start, but after a bit of digging into the blank, I might change directions completely.

I don't care much for wide-bottomed bowls. I was given good advice early on in my turning about not trying to save wood, so I'm not bashful about removing a bunch of wood from the outside to get a smooth, flowing form from foot to rim. I try to avoid the 'dog dish' look with straight sides.

I don't pay attention to the formulas and such...I took up turning to get away from the math and dimensions.  Grin

Keep in mind these a just my personal preferences. What appeals to you is what's most important, so experiment around and find the shapes that you like. Ron's suggestion of looking at high-end glass and ceramic work is a good one, too. I find myself scoping out (and/or critiquing) forms wherever I go.

IP Logged

Walt Nollan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #12 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 8:53am

I do mostly segmented turnings.  My bowl designs need to enhance the segmented design and visa-versa.  At least that is what I atempt.  But mainly I have a huge ice cream bowl that I like to copy.

IP Logged

Bob Hunt

Honest Dear. This is the
last tool I will need!

Orlando, FL, USA
Orlando, FL
USA

Reply #13 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 9:25am

Jim:
I'm not crazy either. I also listen to what the wood says. There have been times when a sudden design change opportunity presents its self, then I talk back to the wood. My wife has caught me doing this and says I should always talk nice to the wood. Gotta go. I think it's time for my medication.

IP Logged

Norbert Dupas
WR Addict

Oakbank, Manitoba, Canada
Oakbank
Manitoba
Canada

Reply #14 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 11:41am

Thanks for the advice all.  I also kindof listen to the wood, but I wish I had some shapes in mind to make something different.  Thanks goodness I'm not talking to the wood like Jim  Grin  I'm already taking too much medication for my age without adding the one's he needs  Cheesy Grin Wink

...Bert

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print