Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cummins 14" Wood Band Saw, help (Read 1,573 times)

cody lud

WR Rocks!

Cummins 14" Wood Band Saw, help
Aug 22nd, 2009 at 10:18am

i saw this advertised for 150$ what quality is this brand? i never heard of it. does anyone know if i can get riser blocks?

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Moderator

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Re: Cummins 14" Wood Band Saw, help
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 11:43am

Knock off --  How close to one of the more available riser block systems have no idea.   How are you at machine work?

IP Logged

cody lud

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 10:17pm

i'm pretty intelligent but don't have alot of experience.

are you asking because i might have to modify a setup to get it to work?

would this bandsaw be good enough to cut out lathe blanks maybe do a little bit of resawing? i'm on a tight budget.

theres also a powercraft brand for 200$ is that any better?
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2009 at 10:49pm by cody lud »  

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Administrator
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 10:34pm

I would not buy it for the simple reason that I can find out nothing about it on the internet.  If they are not out there, they don't want to be found.  I found several reviews of other Cummins products that were less than complimentary.

JimQuarles

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Moderator

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 11:43pm

Cody -- Have been around a number of Cummins brand -- they come from the same factory as many of the other ones do, with each having some different features/finishes/ machining/   Most all are knock offs of long standing designs -  As Jim notes, the brand is flexible in marketing and items come and go.   Many of these have had good improvements in the last 1/2 decade but expect this one is older. 

The riser units rely on machined guide pins to keep alignment and shear  plus bolts for strength.  You may well find yourself needing to remanufacture a riser unit to adapt it -  It can be a lot of work, and having a metal lathe and a milling machine helps a lot.    Note that I have never met a competent machinist that was not intelligent, and they add training and experiece to that to be pretty good.   If your skills are pretty high, you can probably pull it off.  If you are going to hire it out, you will be able to buy a premium saw like the new Jet and have change in your pocket vs custom machinist work plus layout and spec work.

I am not experienced with powercrafter -- but sounds like another knock off.

Keep looking for an older delta, craftsman, etc -- I used a craftsman with an 80 inch blade - and install it with a bimetalic lennox blade based on an analysis in Fine Woodworking for years to cut blanks and knock edges off small blocks for turning.    I gave it away and it is still running. 

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Administrator
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2009 at 12:38am

Where are you finding these machines?  A lot of Cummins stuff was sold at traveling truck load tool shows that would set up in a parking lot or fair ground in the farm belts. 

JimQuarles

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Eric Geist

Here's my wallet- show
me the wood

Loveland, Colorado, USA
Loveland
Colorado
USA

Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2009 at 4:12am

In my opinion, Cummins is a HUGE step down from Harbor Freight. Years ago, I made the mistake of buying a router from one of those trucks. To this day, it is sitting in a cabinet taking up space, but has never been used. The reason it has never been used is because the collet (not replaceable) won't fit any router bit that has ever been sold in the US. I never measured it, but it is somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2. I think these are more than knock-offs- they are rip-offs. I'm sure someone somewhere has had a decent experience with them, but I have yet to meet that person. The really scary part is for a while (don't know if this is true anymore) they were the only authorized reconditioner for rigid. Believe me, I fully understand the desire to get what you need even when money is tight, but with some of these things, you really do get what you pay for.

Loveland, CO

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2009 at 6:48am

Eric Geist wrote on Aug 23rd, 2009 at 4:12am:
In my opinion, Cummins is a HUGE step down from Harbor Freight.

Sad but true. There was a time a few decades ago that Cummins was a brand name to be had.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print